Can you help me pick a Disney World hotel?

pix13

Earning My Ears
I am painfully indecisive about this and would very much appreciate some input. We are a family of 4 (kids ages 11 and 8) spending 5 nights and 4 days at Disney World in late October. We plan to do MNSSHP one day and 3 days in the parks. I am currently booked at the Doubletree (free to cancel) and have already made my FPP times. We plan to spend a lot of time in the parks, but the first day will not go to the parks until 4pm for MNSSHP

Convenience and easier transportation is important to me, but we will have a car. French Quarter is my favorite place we have stayed but it is not available for my dates.

Which would you pick and bonus points if you can say why?

1. Polynesian standard room $2000. I wouldn’t normally put this in the running but I have always wanted to stay there and it is a good price. But we’d have to all stay in one room. Doable, but we like more space when possible.
2. Two standard rooms at Pop Century $1200. Never stayed here or at any value resort but we like the extra room, but I worry we might not get connecting rooms which would mean my husband and I would have to separate.
3. Two standard rooms at Port Orleans Riverside $1900. Same concern about connecting rooms, and also multiple bus stops.
4. Keep the Doubletree one bedroom suite $1200 but I have paid with credit card points. I like being able to use points and the smaller size, but have never stayed off property before so not sure how I would like it. My husband says he would prefer the on property transportation.

Thank you in advance for any advice!

I would pick Poly. It's great to take the monorail home after the party while other wait for buses.

Well, my two picks would be Polynesian or Port Orleans. Poly because you've always wanted to stay and the convenience of having the monorail. Port Orleans because in my opinion, it is one of the prettiest resorts in Disney World. So relaxing and just a walk away from French Quarter for some delicious beignets.

Looking at your list I would go with the Polynesian. You are on the monorail. They have the good coffee and juice. You have always wanted to stay there.

I'd probably go with two connecting rooms at Pop. You should have no trouble getting a connecting room at Pop. I've done it several times between Pop and AofA and never had my request denied.

I tend to spend the majority of my time in the parks or on-the-go, so it doesn't make sense for me to spend extra money on a room that I more or less just sleep and shower in. I don't need all the bells and whistles, and the buses are a bonus for me. I don't have to drive off-property every day. It takes a lot of time to commute; money better spent to stay on-property so I don't have to commute back and forth.

I'd say Poly too - the price is really good for that resort and that doesn't come up often. If you're pocketbook can afford it - I'd splurge this time around.

Normally I would say why pay more for a resort like the POLY when you are not using it, but since you are comparing it to 2 rooms elsewhere and you always wanted to stay POLY then I would say go there. We have 2 DD's and would never think or want to do 2 rooms, so that would not factor into our decision. The monorail is great but does get crowded and can have long lines, even though some posters make it sound like it's always empty.

The children are so young, do the Poly. save the connecting rooms when they are older. You will be busy and will not need the space. You will love the poly, the monorail and pools.

My kids are same ages as yours and we stayed at the Poly in January and my kids didn’t really like it! We were also in one room. My kids would pick Pop from your choices. I would think it would be easier to get back to your onsite resort after the party. I stayed offsite once and the driving back and forth from MK convinced me the little bit of $ saved wasn’t worth that hassle!

My kids love the theme at Pop and my younger son is obsessed with taking the bus.

I would choose Poly in your circumstance- monorail is Great for transportation & nicest resort out of your choices. I don’t believe connecting rooms are ever guaranteed & I wouldn’t take that chance, especially where you are in a Value vs. a deluxe hotel

I'd go for the space, since you won't be spending much time at the resort, but it could allow for much better sleep (we stopped sharing a room when our kids were about your kids' ages).

So I'd either keep what you have booked, or go with Pop and hope for connecting rooms. With Pop you'd each have your own beds, plus two bathrooms, and they will try to do their best (make connecting rooms your one and only request). The bus service there is usually really convenient, and I like the option of a food court for grabbing a bite.

The Poly doesn't really appeal to me (never stayed there, and for one room, plus the buildings are separate from the main entrance, same as Pop, it just doesn't seem worth it). If you were spending a lot of time swimming and enjoying the resort, then maybe it would be more of a consideration.

Thank you all for the input. This is very helpful and I will soon make the final choice!

I'd lean towards keeping the Doubletree and using the car for transportation. Even with paying for parking at the theme parks, it's cheaper overall than Poly or POR. I haven't stayed at the Doubletree, but I've read it's one of the nicest and most spacious of the Disney Springs area hotels. With various recent changes, the onsite hotels don't appeal to me as much as they once did.

We're going to be naturally biased on this board to staying on property, but I agree that the DoubleTree is not a bad choice at all... especially given the spacious room where you can all stay together. The fact that you have a car will give you so much flexibility. And Disney resorts do charge for overnight parking now, so that's not an advantage of staying onsite.

But I get why this is a hard decision to make. If staying on-site is important to you, and you don't mind paying the higher cost, the Poly is an attractive decision. The theming is beautiful, the service is fantastic, and being right on the monorail loop will let you relax and let Disney handle the driving.

Pop and Port Orleans Riverside are perfectly great resorts, but the fact that you might not get adjoining rooms could be quite a hassle that make it not worth the risk, imo. I'd rather just keep the Doubletree if you wanted space to spread out.

I worry that since you've never stayed off-site before, the Doubletree will be a disappointment. You want a magical experience! Like others, I would pick the Poly. Since MNSSHP is limited to a certain number of guests, transportation by monorail shouldn't be bad when you are tired and want to be home! Enjoy!

If not staying at the Doubletree what else would you use your CC points for? If nothing else comes to mind quickly, I would stick with the Doubletree and put the money you would spend staying onsite towards saving for your next trip...because thee is always a next trip.

Rooms at POLY are very big and given the ages of your kids, I think one room is best. Have a great time! I'll also be there at the end of October--can't wait for the party!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter