can you get a electic wheelchair?

MinniMama

addicted to the mouse
We arer staying ath the beach club with my 77 year old father. He wont get an electric wheelchair for the room but will rent electric one in the parks. My question is can he get an elctric one at the back entrance to Epcot or does soemone have to run to the front to rent it?

Check the disabilities forum in this website...they probably have that info. But if I remember the International Gateway does have a small rental area for strollers/ECVs etc...

Yes, EVCs are available at the International Gateway (back entrance), but I'm not sure they are in as great a supply as up front.

princess: Shelly

Hi, I saw your post on the disABILITIES Board and replied there.
I just wanted to mention though that electric (or power) wheelchairs are not at all the same thing as ecvs (also called electric scooters). Most people without disabilities use the words to mean the same thing, but they are very different. I know of one person who asked for a power wheelchair and was told they could not rent on - CM didn't "pry" to find out what they really needed was an ecv.
You can rent ecvs/scooters from off-site medical equipment companies or from the parks (limited number and no guarantee that one will be available when you get there). ECVs generally are steered with a tiller device and are easy to drive. WDW parks (and most of the rental companies) will only an ecv for use by someone over the age of 18.
Power wheelchairs are available from some of the rental equipment companies, but are usually only rented to people who have experience driving them. (For example, someone who has one at home, but doesn't want to travel with it). The speed and direction are controlled with a joystick and it takes more practice to drive them.

Thanks so much I wish I could convince dad to rent one off site but he does not want to deal with it on buses or at hotel. I know he'll regret it and the walking is going to be too much but I cant get him to change his mind "absolutely not" he keeps saying!

MinniMama, you will probably be walking to Epcot and maybe the Studios, and if he has an ECV from an off-site provider he can just drive it there. This is what my Mom did when we stayed at the Boardwalk. And if he wants, he can even drive it through Epcot and take the monorail (very easy to load and unload and ECV) to the Magic Kingdom.

Also, he doesn't have to be the one to drive it on the bus...any member of your group can do that for him. Mom was worried, but then when she found out how easy the boats and monorail were to manage, she didn't worry any more.

Plus if you park hop, there is no guarantee that there will be another ECV at the next park, which can be a big problem.

Good luck!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter