Can you gate check strollers with Southwest?

MomtothreeEs

I spend way too much time searching for ADRs...
I read on the Southwest website that carseats and strollers can be checked without paying extra. However, I can't figure out if they make you check these items with your regular checked luggage or if you can wait until you get to the gate. I'm willing to take the risk of damage for gate checking, but there's no way I'll check my stroller with regular luggage.

Thanks!

You roll the stroller right up to the plane door and they will put it on the plane for you after everyone boards, then it will be waiting for you when you exit the plane! Very easy! You'll need to get a tag for the stroller at the desk at the gate! And no extra charge for stroller!

Not sure about the car seat, never have taken one!

Either can be gate checked on any US airline at no charge. The exception would be an oversized stroller on certain airlines, such as American.

Like the others have said, YES, you can gate check.

I highly recommend getting some kind of bag to prevent your stroller from getting damaged if you have a nice stroller. My Britax B-Agile fit in this bag: http://www.amazon.com/Childress-Gat...qid=1398281407&sr=1-1&keywords=gate+check+bag

These bags don't get the greatest reviews (some say they rip easily) but I figured it was better than nothing. I've heard horror stories about strollers getting damaged when being gate checked.

even gate checking carseats and strollers, they still go in the cargo hold with the luggage. if you have a close plane change it still could be problem as I have seen families having to wait for stroller

Beware, unless you already know this... at the luggage check they give you a tag to check the stroller at the gate. But it was counted as one of DD's checked bags... So when I also checked her carseat at the bag check in and stroller at the gate, that was considered both of her allotted "two checked bags"... As DD had a full ticket both times she's flown, it was technically her bags so it worked for us.

It's not been a problem for us because I usually only check one or two bags for all three of us, but I didn't realize it would be counted against me...

Beware, unless you already know this... at the luggage check they give you a tag to check the stroller at the gate. But it was counted as one of DD's checked bags... So when I also checked her carseat at the bag check in and stroller at the gate, that was considered both of her allotted "two checked bags"... As DD had a full ticket both times she's flown, it was technically her bags so it worked for us. It's not been a problem for us because I usually only check one or two bags for all three of us, but I didn't realize it would be counted against me...

It should not have been counted! Baby items fly free!

Beware, unless you already know this... at the luggage check they give you a tag to check the stroller at the gate. But it was counted as one of DD's checked bags... So when I also checked her carseat at the bag check in and stroller at the gate, that was considered both of her allotted "two checked bags"... As DD had a full ticket both times she's flown, it was technically her bags so it worked for us.

It's not been a problem for us because I usually only check one or two bags for all three of us, but I didn't realize it would be counted against me...

This isn't right. What airline was this?

NOT making any judgements, just asking, why do people gate check carseats instead of using them on the plane? I do realize booster seats are not FAA approved for airline use but a regular car seat? When we took DGS (2 1/2) in 2012, we installed the car seat & he jumped right in. Fell asleep right after takeoff & slept the whole trip down. I thought it was a Godsend for keeping him "contained", safe and comfortable. But we did seem to be the only ones on the plane using one. Is there a reason not to?

Curious Grammy!

NOT making any judgements, just asking, why do people gate check carseats instead of using them on the plane? I do realize booster seats are not FAA approved for airline use but a regular car seat? When we took DGS (2 1/2) in 2012, we installed the car seat & he jumped right in. Fell asleep right after takeoff & slept the whole trip down. I thought it was a Godsend for keeping him "contained", safe and comfortable. But we did seem to be the only ones on the plane using one. Is there a reason not to?

Curious Grammy!

Because their child is under 2 and they don't want to pay for a seat but are renting a car at the other end. Or their child is older and can sit in a airplane seat but still needs a car seat in a car. I have a dd that is just over four and not quite the right size for a booster but with a cares harness is fine on a plane. I personally wouldn't check it maybe gate check but that's me

Because their child is under 2 and they don't want to pay for a seat but are renting a car at the other end. Or their child is older and can sit in a airplane seat but still needs a car seat in a car. I have a dd that is just over four and not quite the right size for a booster but with a cares harness is fine on a plane. I personally wouldn't check it maybe gate check but that's me

All scenarios I had not thought of!

pooch said:

Curious Grammy!

And the car seat MUST BE FAA Approved! And it is my understanding that not all car seats are FAA approved. If it isn't, the airline is Prohibited from allowing you to use it.

we gate checked a booster car seat in January @ PIT flying SWA. Had to sign a release as to any damages. It arrived just fine both ways. Out of MCO we weren't asked to sign anything.:confused3

This isn't right. What airline was this?

It was Southwest... both flying out and then home...once in May 2013 and once in September 2012... both trips, DD's gear was counted as our baggage, four different flights and I got the same thing, so I either have really bad luck and got 4 check-in agents who did it this way, so I figured it was policy.

It was Southwest... both flying out and then home...once in May 2013 and once in September 2012... both trips, DD's gear was counted as our baggage, four different flights and I got the same thing, so I either have really bad luck and got 4 check-in agents who did it this way, so I figured it was policy.

I don't know what happened, but it's not their policy:

http://www.southwest.com/html/customer-service/baggage/carryon-bags-pol.html

Strollers and Child Restraint Systems (CRSs) or Car Seats
Customers traveling with children will be allowed to check one stroller and one Child Restraint System (CRS) or car seat per child without charge. This is in addition to the regular free baggage allowance.
The stroller and CRS or car seat allowance applies to any type of stroller (umbrella, full size, jogging stroller, etc.) and CRS or car seat.
The Customer may check the stroller and CRS or car seat at the curb, ticket counter, or gate.
Southwest Airlines will not assume liability for damage to strollers, CRSs or car seats. (An optional Southwest-branded reusable car seat/stroller bag is available for purchase at any Southwest Airlines ticket counter for a $15 one time fee.)

You should always read and understand your airline's policies before your flight.

Thanks everyone! I was hoping that I could gate check the strollers! We have a direct flight, so I don't need to worry about a connecting flight. :)

Curious Grammy!

The last time we flew, I was pregnant with my youngest and my other two were 10 months and 22 months. Both of them rode in a carseat on the plane. However, my 22 month old didn't have much legroom and kicked the seat in front of him the whole time. Now that he is a giant 90+percentile 5 year old, there's no way I'd put him in a carseat on the plane. We don't own a smaller backless booster, so we'll be carrying his regular big carseat around and gate checking it. We need a carseat for him when we get to Orlando. The other two (2yo and 3yo) will be in their carseats on the plane. We are flying during nap time, and I'm sure it will be MUCH more comfortable for the younger two to be in their car seats. I'm fairly confident (fingers crossed) that they will just sleep on the plane.

Backless boosters are pretty inexpensive, might be worth getting one you can use at home later anyway and only have 2 big seats to lug around

Thanks everyone! I was hoping that I could gate check the strollers! We have a direct flight, so I don't need to worry about a connecting flight. :)

The last time we flew, I was pregnant with my youngest and my other two were 10 months and 22 months. Both of them rode in a carseat on the plane. However, my 22 month old didn't have much legroom and kicked the seat in front of him the whole time. Now that he is a giant 90+percentile 5 year old, there's no way I'd put him in a carseat on the plane. We don't own a smaller backless booster, so we'll be carrying his regular big carseat around and gate checking it. We need a carseat for him when we get to Orlando. The other two (2yo and 3yo) will be in their carseats on the plane. We are flying during nap time, and I'm sure it will be MUCH more comfortable for the younger two to be in their car seats. I'm fairly confident (fingers crossed) that they will just sleep on the plane.

They make inflatable booster seats (bubble bums) they work great for travel because the are compact and light weight

They make inflatable booster seats (bubble bums) they work great for travel because the are compact and light weight

Yes. If the 5 year old is mature enough for a backless (wont fall asleep, won't slouch, sits up properly) the bubble bum could be a great solution. Weighs a pound and has a cinch sack so the child could carry it himself.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter