Can you fly with prescription pills just in a pill organizer?

Cad0587

Mouseketeer
I've read that you're suppose to fly with pills in their original bottle. But then I've had PLENTY of people tell me they fly all the time and will put pills in just those pill organizers and they've never had a problem so which is it? Our trip is long, 9 days, and my husband takes FIVE prescriptions medications every day and I take 1. Plus I need to take PLENTY of Excedrin for us, we get headaches a lot, and plenty of Tums as well. So I was able to fit all of this in a big pill organizer. With the amount of pills we're taking it looks like we're a freakin' walking pharmacy. Do you think I'll be okay to take this on in my carry on? (I can't check it in case, god forbid, the luggage gets lost). It would be too cumbersome to take all those bottles with me, this is so much easier.

I take them in my pill organizer and have never thought a thing about it. I do make sure I have the prescription label for things with liquid or needles (an epi-pen has both) and have never even had them question those.

You probably can get away with it in a pill organizer, however, pain/allergy pills might raise a red flag due to the quantity. Pills not in a container with a name and label tend to raise flags.

Someone on the Cruise Board said that in FL all prescriptions need to be in their bottles with the labels. They also said you could check into your pharmacy for smaller bottles while traveling.

When we travel, we look like a pharmacy also. :upsidedow But I want our meds in the bottles, easier to deal with.

I wanted to add, international flights you want to have your pills in the orginal bottles. My father went to Japan and had to provide a note for all meds, have all meds in original bottles, and not otc meds with caffeine/stimulants. Crazy. They just asked about the otc.

My point is that it may all depend on where you are traveling to and the mood TSA/Security/Whatever.

I always use an organizer for all my meds, both air and cruise travel and have never had an issue. :thumbsup2

Ok I'm going to be the voice of dissent here. Do you really want to risk it and have them take away your medications? What if, for whatever reason, they decide to enforce the pills in the original bottles thing and they take them from you?

On my Sept trip, I had all my meds (4 scripts, motion sickness and ibuprofen) in my carryon. I wouldn't do it any other way. Sure you rattle a bit when you walk but I think it's silly not to have them with me.

If you read the TSA site you know there is NO need to have things in original containers.

I wanted to add, international flights you want to have your pills in the orginal bottles. My father went to Japan and had to provide a note for all meds, have all meds in original bottles, and not otc meds with caffeine/stimulants. Crazy. They just asked about the otc.

this had not been DH's experience flying internationally. The ONLY thing he has been questioned on is an injectable hormone that isn't normally used by men medicinally, and the main use for it by men is for bodybuilding. He knows this so THAT one he keeps in the box with the prescription sticker on it, and that was all they (Australia) needed. And if you go to the travel info/customs page of a country you are going to you can look that sort of thing up. He knew there would be issues ahead of time.

My best friend has traveled to Mexico and a few European countries with her drugs in her dispenser (also on domestic flights). And she was a liver transplant patient, so she has WAY more than five drugs. No problems.

I was just at my doc's this week and she said I'd be fine with them in a pill box. I was worried since I have my panic meds and nausea meds for flying. But I'll have the originals in my checked luggage.

If you read the TSA site you know there is NO need to have things in original containers.

this had not been DH's experience flying internationally. The ONLY thing he has been questioned on is an injectable hormone that isn't normally used by men medicinally, and the main use for it by men is for bodybuilding. He knows this so THAT one he keeps in the box with the prescription sticker on it, and that was all they (Australia) needed. And if you go to the travel info/customs page of a country you are going to you can look that sort of thing up. He knew there would be issues ahead of time.

My best friend has traveled to Mexico and a few European countries with her drugs in her dispenser (also on domestic flights). And she was a liver transplant patient, so she has WAY more than five drugs. No problems.

Welcome to the Government. The TSA says one thing while the US consulate said something else.

My point was to know ahead of time what was needed to travel in a foreign country. Agreed alittle research is what is needed because each place/country can be different.

Like the PP said, I would rather have all my meds in original containers sounding and looking like a pharmacy than risk loosing them. All it takes is one person(TSA/Customs/Security/Cops) to think my meds are something else and I don't get my allergy or have a migraine attack and in up in the hospital. Talk about ruining a trip.

It is all about what you are comfortable with risk wise. Just like the famous:Should I have a passport for a closed loop cruise? :faint: But that is another thread;)

It depends on the country you're flying into, and how hard their customs police wants to be on you. I would never risk it on any international flight. Domestic, yes, you'd be fine, but the last thing you want to do is be without your meds in another country.

I was just at my doc's this week and she said I'd be fine with them in a pill box. I was worried since I have my panic meds and nausea meds for flying. But I'll have the originals in my checked luggage.

DO NOT PLACE MEDICATIONS IN CHECKED LUGGAGE.

It can disappear, either out of your bag or your bag can be misplaced and that could lead to huge headaches dealing with getting it replaced.

Medication labeling requirements can very country to country, but also state to state.

This is from TSA's website:

Passengers are allowed to bring medications in pill or other solid form through security screening checkpoints in unlimited amounts, as long as they are screened. TSA does not require passengers to have medications in prescription bottles, but states have individual laws regarding the labeling of prescription medication with which passengers need to comply.

So, although it's fine in some areas to have them unlabeled, it is possible that they can snag you on a state's labeling requirement.

I'm keeping all of mine in labeled bottles and with me. I'm so glad to have seen this thread today, because I just called to have extra labels for my son's epi-pen printed. Thank you Walgreens for having a drive-thru, LOL.

I wouldn't risk it.

Honestly, we never even thought about it. We have traveled with a pill organizer and never had an issue, but it was not a lot of pills as you are discussing. Maybe bring the prescription papers with you just to make sure. You know, the ones that come with the pills. Have fun!

I wanted to add, international flights you want to have your pills in the orginal bottles. My father went to Japan and had to provide a note for all meds, have all meds in original bottles, and not otc meds with caffeine/stimulants. Crazy.

Not necessary, except for certain countries (such as Japan and Australia). I travel internationally fairly frequently and have never had a problem with prescription meds not in original bottles.

I have flown a ton both domestically and internationally (including like 8 trips to Japan). I have never had a problem with the pill container I have carried on which has a combination of OTC and prescription pills... none of it labeled.

mslhb said:
I have flown a ton both domestically and internationally (including like 8 trips to Japan). I have never had a problem with the pill container I have carried on which has a combination of OTC and prescription pills... none of it labeled.

I have also flown a ton domestically and internationally, and I'm saying I would not risk it. My experience going through customs in certain countries is different from others' experiences in that same country. It all depends on customs enforcement. At the very least, have the international health booklet (mine is little and yellow) filled out by your doctor with your scripts listed.

I always travel with my medications in their original containers. I Have 16 oral medications I take, 3 asthma meds and 4 prescription creams. ( on my worst day of meds, i take about 17 pills in one day)I've never thought of travelling any other way. I just toss all of the meds into 2 gallon ziplocks and put them in my medical carryon.

I dont think it would be an issue but I don't use a pill organizer at home and I just find it easier to ake them from the containers b/c i don't take everything at the same exact time everyday.

Also, if you do not take the original containers make sure you take an additional supply. My doctors always tell me to taKe enough for an extra week...just in case.

Also, if you are only taking the pill organizer make sure you ave an updated and accurate list of medications with you (name, dose, diagnosis, etc) in case of an emergency. In an emergency, we are very bad at remembering thins that we think we should know. And in some emergencies, you might be unable to communicte. Trust me....a list of my medications and medical conditions probably helped save my life after a serious car accident and one of the times I went into anaphylaxis.

I have also flown a ton domestically and internationally, and I'm saying I would not risk it. My experience going through customs in certain countries is different from others' experiences in that same country. It all depends on customs enforcement. At the very least, have the international health booklet (mine is little and yellow) filled out by your doctor with your scripts listed.

You are free to do this, but as already stated a number of times, this is completely unnecessary for travel to most countries.

You are free to do this, but as already stated a number of times, this is completely unnecessary for travel to most countries.

If you're taking that risk, then you're taking that risk. You can go through something 100 times and have no problem, but it's the one time that you get stuck that will ruin things for you. I have seen people questioned on their medications during an international flight. As another previous poster said as well, it's not wise to do that with medications you need in the event that you get into an accident and people have no idea what you're taking/when you need to take it/etc.

We fly quite a bit and have only had trouble with inhalers. We've been asked for the prescription box several times with them.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter