• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Can you bring purchased alcohol onboard from port stops?

sea2la

Earning My Ears
Does DCL allow purchased alcohol from port stop like Cozumel on board?
Just in case I find something nice to drink on the cruise!

Yes and Yes. I purchase water and liquor sometimes on Nassau because it's so cheap and duty free. I plan on buying Tequilla and other stuff in Cozumel.

Yes, you are allowed to bring it on board, but are to consume it in your stateroom. It has been discussed on this board that no CM can see that the glass you are holding on deck was not purchased at the bar, but filled in your cabin.
But the official rule is that you may not consume your own beverages outside your stateroom.

We leave our bottle in the stateroom but have never encountered any problem having our own cup out and about. Many people bring their own drink cups and mugs from home. Just be discreet.

I just got back 2 days ago and was on the Magic. I just bought 2 bottles of Jamaican rum. I walked them on through the security check in point for Jamaica and then I walked onto the ship through their security checkpoint. I also brought with me 6 rum cakes from Jamaica. Although I didn't drink my two bottles I wanted to bring them home, I could've had I wanted to. There are a few things you need to think about though if you wish to drink the alcohol that you bring onto the ship.

1) There are 4 glasses in your room.
2) You may wish to wash your glasses so bring dish soap.
3). You may feel some guilt about the server who is not getting a tip (lower paycheck)
4). You must acquire ice for your drinks on the deck 9.

I only mention the guilt factor because I felt some guilt over just ordering glasses of water at bingo so I gave the guy a few bucks tip. I still can't imagine being 4 to 6 months away from home and working that many hours. I am ashamed to say that my guilt did not extend to Disney's loss of revenue on my drinks.

I just got back 2 days ago and was on the Magic. I just bought 2 bottles of Jamaican rum. I walked them on through the security check in point for Jamaica and then I walked onto the ship through their security checkpoint. I also brought with me 6 rum cakes from Jamaica. Although I didn't drink my two bottles I wanted to bring them home, I could've had I wanted to. There are a few things you need to think about though if you wish to drink the alcohol that you bring onto the ship.

1) There are 4 glasses in your room. You can request additional glasses from your room host. Or a bartender.
2) You may wish to wash your glasses so bring dish soap.You get fresh glasses every day from your room host.
3). You may feel some guilt about the server who is not getting a tip (lower paycheck) I would feel guilty about this only if I poured the drink in my room and took it to the dining room (or other public space), thereby not allowing my server to take my drink order.
4). You must acquire ice for your drinks on the deck 9. You can get ice, again, from your room host, or room service, no need to traipse up to the pool deck.

I only mention the guilt factor because I felt some guilt over just ordering glasses of water at bingo so I gave the guy a few bucks tip. I still can't imagine being 4 to 6 months away from home and working that many hours. I am ashamed to say that my guilt did not extend to Disney's loss of revenue on my drinks.

My responses in red.

If you're stopping in Nassau - I highly recommend the Rum Cream (Like Baileys, but with rum) - but it has to be refrigerated after opening, so either drink up on the ship or leave it closed 'til you get home. :thumbsup2

3). You may feel some guilt about the server who is not getting a tip (lower paycheck)

"" I would feel guilty about this only if I poured the drink in my room and took it to the dining room (or other public space), thereby not allowing my server to take my drink order. ""

I only mention the guilt factor because I felt some guilt over just ordering glasses of water at bingo so I gave the guy a few bucks tip. I still can't imagine being 4 to 6 months away from home and working that many hours. I am ashamed to say that my guilt did not extend to Disney's loss of revenue on my drinks. Smoo I get the feeling you don't like me. Each time you quote me.

If you're stopping in Nassau - I highly recommend the Rum Cream (Like Baileys, but with rum) - but it has to be refrigerated after opening, so either drink up on the ship or leave it closed 'til you get home. :thumbsup2
I love that! That's what I bought two different flavors. (but not the banana one, that tasted like the marshmallow Circus Peanuts)

There are cool boxes in each stateroom. They look just like a college fridge but they don't get very cold. There are ice buckets too so your stateroom host/hostess can get ice for you. Of course, ice is available at the drink station, deck 9 on the classic ships, deck 11 on the new ones.

"" I would feel guilty about this only if I poured the drink in my room and took it to the dining room (or other public space), thereby not allowing my server to take my drink order. ""

I only mention the guilt factor because I felt some guilt over just ordering glasses of water at bingo so I gave the guy a few bucks tip. I still can't imagine being 4 to 6 months away from home and working that many hours. I am ashamed to say that my guilt did not extend to Disney's loss of revenue on my drinks. Smoo I get the feeling you don't like me. Each time you quote me.

I don't dislike you :goodvibes. Sorry if my posts come off that way. I just see that you're a fairly new poster, and when there are comments made about things that can be remedied, I try to clarify things.

I don't dislike you :goodvibes. Sorry if my posts come off that way. I just see that you're a fairly new poster, and when there are comments made about things that can be remedied, I try to clarify things.
You bring up a good point, my posts are not as frequent as yours. I've mainly been a reader of this site since I joined in 2008. You must be platinum status and this trip has only now, qualified me for silver status. I probably am going through DCLW (Disney Cruise Line Withdrawal). I usually only read the posts since most will get there answer from a more full-time and seasoned responder like yourself. I just dabble a little because I always feel the need to fully explain my thoughts and I really do dislike writing. Can't tell you how many times I write these long ones and then just delete them. Think I'm just going to concentrate on the problems that occurred during my own trip last week and see where they are sending the refunds they offered.

You bring up a good point, my posts are not as frequent as yours. I've mainly been a reader of this site since I joined in 2008. You must be platinum status and this trip has only now, qualified me for silver status. I probably am going through DCLW (Disney Cruise Line Withdrawal). I usually only read the posts since most will get there answer from a more full-time and seasoned responder like yourself. I just dabble a little because I always feel the need to fully explain my thoughts and I really do dislike writing. Can't tell you how many times I write these long ones and then just delete them. Think I'm just going to concentrate on the problems that occurred during my own trip last week and see where they are sending the refunds they offered.

Please don't refrain from posting here. Everyone who has cruised has an experience to share. If there's a question or comment that you have experience with, you should share. It's not just up to those who have cruised the "most" or in "better" rooms, or because they "know" someone influential who should post here.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter