Can you add different credit cards to each MagicBand?

kangaroodle

DVC Member
We are bringing my daughter's friend with us to Disney. (Going tomorrow!!:-)) I was wondering is she can add her own debit or credit card to her MagicBand so she doesn't have to carry cash with her. Anyone know? Can you add a debit card?

The friend is over 18. The girls just graduated from high school and this is their graduation trip!

We're planning on doing it when we get in on Saturday. I imagine it wouldn't be any different with a debit card... I have read, though, that after a day you should check with the front desk to ensure that the charges are being allotted to the appropriate cards.

You don't add anything to the magic band. The magic band is linked to your hotel, and you can use it to charge back to your room. But, effectively, yes. You can have the front desk configure each individual to be responsible for their own charges. HOWEVER, I don't think I'd want to do that with a debit card. I'm not sure how it works when it's not the primary person, but usually a hotel will perform an authorization first, which will tie up a large amount of money in her account.

Yes, BUT - we did this on a recent trip and although my friend added her card to her band at the front desk (I had added mine online), and she set her own pin, and our other two friends each had cards attached to their own MBs, on the last day I got an invoice showing that all of my friend's MB charges had been charged to my credit card. She had used her own MB and entered her own pin throughout, but it still ended up on my credit card somehow.

We didn't go to them about the snafu because it was just easier to have her pay me the money for her share. But we did have to go through the invoice line-by-line, separate and add up her charges.

So just beware. The system isn't perfect.

We did this successfully on our last trip. I was the primary on the reservation and registered my card when I did online check in. When we arrived, my friend added her own card. Both of us used our debit cards and they did not place a "hold" on them as they weren't being used for incidentals on the room reservation, only what was charged at a restaurant or shop.

We did ask for a print out after the first day just to make sure everything was tracking correctly and it was. The whole process took less than five minutes!

I would like to do this type of payment method with different gift cards attached to our kids bands.

Unfortunately, you can't attach gift cards to bands.

The bands are not attached to anything. They charge back to your room account. What you'd have to do is use the gift cards to pay off the room account.

Yes, BUT - we did this on a recent trip and although my friend added her card to her band at the front desk (I had added mine online), and she set her own pin, and our other two friends each had cards attached to their own MBs, on the last day I got an invoice showing that all of my friend's MB charges had been charged to my credit card. She had used her own MB and entered her own pin throughout, but it still ended up on my credit card somehow.

We didn't go to them about the snafu because it was just easier to have her pay me the money for her share. But we did have to go through the invoice line-by-line, separate and add up her charges.

So just beware. The system isn't perfect.

We had the same thing. My mom goes with us and they linked her credit card to her magic band. So they said. Turns out it still all went to our credit card. They did separate the charges for us once we realized it. But just double check after they do it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter