Can We Top Our Best Trip to Disney Yet?

babyberger

DIS Veteran
PTR Coming - This is going to be a work in progress over the next few days

:welcome:We are heading back to the World in March, hoping to top our trip in October, which was our best yet! You can read about our "Best Trip to Disney Yet" in the link in my signature, as well as a few other trip reports.

We live in South Florida, so we are fortunate enough to be able to visit Walt Disney World several times a year. We used to take a lot of long weekend trips, but as the kids get older it is harder to take them out of school, so we seem to be taking less trips each year, but making them a little longer to make up for it.

I guess some introductions are in order.

myself - Melissa, a self proclaimed planning addict ::yes:: As hubby likes to say, I stress over, obsess and over analyze everything, so that of course includes our vacations. I like to have a "tentative" plan of attack before we get to the Disney, but I am very flexible in making changes once we are there.

DH - David, not a Disney lover by heart, but LOVES how happy the kids are while we are there so he goes along with whatever I plan :duck:

DS -Andrew (22), my college student who does not have time for theme parks with his family, or just doesn't want to go with us anymore :sad2:

DS - Steven (11), my absolute thrill seeker child! Favorites include Expedition Everest, Tower of Tower, Mission Space, and Test Track :car: Steven also presents some challenges for us, he has Asperger's Syndrome which is on the Autism Spectrum, as well as has severe food allergies to wheat and nuts. We learned about the GAC/DAS a few years ago, and that has honestly become a life saver for us :wizard: But preventing meltdowns and stress levels is still a major part of our day.

DD - Sarah (9), my princess for sure princess: Even though she is a princess she is also a thrill seeker! Her favorites include the Tea Cups, Mission Space, Big Thunder Mountain, Splash Mountain, Space Mountain, Expedition Everest, and Test Track.

We are NOT a rope drop family at all, my kids and hubby love to sleep in :cloud9: So we have learned from the past few trips to make all our FP+ reservations for after lunch.

This is the most recent family picture we have, not the best as David is crouched over and I am squinting and missing one said college student, but it is what I have and who we are.

weinfam.jpg

Last edited:
We originally booked this trip for March 14-17 at POFQ. We have stayed at both POR and POFQ, and have had great stays at both and went back and forth a bit, but decided ultimately decided on POFQ. We like that it is a small resort and you are never far from anything. We also love the fact that Steven can get gluten free beignets at the food court.

But I will admit I have been spoiled by the deluxe resorts and have a hard time going back to moderates, but since this is spring break and the prices are higher I agreed to POFQ.

During our last trip in October, David, yes David, actually said to me let's add a day to the spring break trip. I didn't even hesitate before I was on the phone adding another night.:woohoo: Well, of course that was not enough for me. The weeks went by and I kept thinking of the four of us crammed in the two queen beds, no where to escape too, no balcony, doors opening to the outside, having to walk to different buildings, etc. Basically all the reasons I prefer a deluxe. So I got online and looked at AKL, asked the kids what they thought, and came up with a game plan.

The kids and I knew we had to wait for just the right time to talk to David about making a switch from POFQ to AKL. I had talked to the kids and told them to each come with their reasons for wanting to stay at AKL so we could convince daddy ;) They had their lists and one Sunday morning when he came back from the gym and was in a great mood we hit him up! The kids had some really good reasons, but I closed the deal when I said I really don't ask for much and I am asking for this. DONE!!! Once I again I jumped on the phone and made the change. So we are now booked at AKL in a standard view room ::yes:: We lucked out with a standard view in October and were in front of feeding spot and had an amazing view of the animals. I have made the same requests I did in October, bunk beds, low floor, close to the lobby.

Hoping to have this view again
AKL View.jpg

Our Plans

Saturday
- Arrive at AKL, drop bags, and head to AK. Our first stop will be guest services to renew Steven's DAS, as well as purchase a new TiW card as ours is expiring before we arrive. We have no ADR's this day, so lunch will probably be at Pizzafari and dinner will be back at AKL at The Mara.

Sunday - We have a late breakfast at Boma, which have never done and are really looking forward to. Then we will make our way over to DHS for a few late FP+. We have the Fanatasmic! dinner package and have an ADR for an early dinner at Mama Melrose. We also have a FP+ for the Lights, Motor, Action show for the first time in years. The kids have not wanted to see it, but decided they want to see it this time. I'm always up for doing things we haven't done in years, or never done, so I was happy to fit this in.

Monday - This is our Epcot day. We have a lunch ADR Coral Reef and then will make our way through the rides the kids want to go on as well as through the Flower & Garden displays and food booths. I am not sure if we will end up having dinner at Epcot or back at AKL, but I definitely think the kids will want to watch the movie by the pool and swim a little.

Tuesday - We will finally make it to the Magic Kingdom, but I will honestly be surprised if we don't go before then, at least for a ride or two. We have our traditional ADR for lunch at Liberty Tree Tavern, one of our favorites in all of Disney.

Wednesday - I asked the kids which park they would want to go back to for a second day, it came down to AKL and MK. So we flipped a coin, picked numbers, etc. But then I pulled the crowd level predictors and AK is NOT RECOMMENDED and MK is MOST RECOMMENDED, so it was an easy choice :upsidedow I had also read some really good reviews of gluten free dining at The Plaza in the Magic Kingdom so we made an ADR to give that a try as well.

Notes/Updates

Because I keep adding ADR's to our plans, I keep looking at adding the dining plan, but I just cannot seem to make it the numbers work for us. But don't be surprised if it gets added last minute :rolleyes1 Although I know in the past the TiW card has worked out better for us so we don't feel like we always have to eat the most expensive meal on the menu.

Even though food allergies are handled so well, we still like to try to plan our meals. Both Steven and Sarah are very picky eaters so we have too look at menus and make sure there is something for both of them where ever we chose. There are plenty of other restaurants I would like to try or go back to, but they just don't work with my picky eaters.

Still more to come

Last edited:
Saving for PTR details and links

Day 1 - Animal Kingdom
Pizzafari

Day 2 - Hollywood Studios
Boma Breakfast
Mama Melrose

Day 3 - Epcot
Coral Reef
Flower & Garden Outdoor Kitchens

Day 4 - Magic Kingdom
Liberty Tree Tavern

Day 5 - Magic Kingdom
The Plaza

Last edited:

Less than a month out and I feel like I should be doing more :confused3 Everything seems in place and ready to go. What am I missing?

I just noticed your pic in the first post! LOVE LOVE LOVE....I've been tweaking ADRs, even though DH says to cancel them LOL Any changes for you??

I just noticed your pic in the first post! LOVE LOVE LOVE....I've been tweaking ADRs, even though DH says to cancel them LOL Any changes for you??

Thank you, that was one of the pictures from Siesta Key this past summer :beach: I have 5 ADR's in 5 days, 2 on one day, LOL! I say keep booking those ADR's :laughing:

Just testing out uploading pictures from my phone, so easy now!! YAY!!! Getting close!!! Room requests were finalized and packing has begun :jumping1:

So this is now a live TR :hyper:

Got a bit of a latter start than I had planned, but only by a half hour, so not too bad. All of our FP+ are for after lunch so we are in no rush. Disney, here we come! :drive:

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter