Can we talk about ring door bell

I got one as part of my ADT package. I though it would be an ADT camera but because there was no existing doorbell wiring they gave me a Ring instead. It's okay, but you have to recharge the battery every so often, which is annoying. You need a special screwdriver to get it open (provided). It also notifies me of motion, even when that motion is usually me leading to lots of annoying alerts. I know they are compatible with some smart hub type devices and that can allow you to do more - my friend's Google Home system can recognize him and such. Mine is just basic though, but I do like it as it let's me know if anything is happening near my door - though literally nothing ever is. I guess that's a good thing though. I don't pay for the recording subscription so I just have to check it live.

My son hates his.......it doesn't alert him someone is there until 15 minutes after they leave.
My daughter is looking for one too and he told her not to get that one. If he ever has time, he will be researching them again.

Mine is the Pro so hardwired. My DH created a wedge for it so that I could set the perimeters for our walkway and you can see the driveway with it. At first everything would set it off but I figured out how to set the perimeter to just before the sidewalk so that people walking their dogs or my neighbor getting in their car across the street don’t set it off. I also have the motion alerts muted on the doorbell/chime but have them alert on my phone.

Cons:
There’s a slight delay so sometimes I’m only getting someone walking away instead of them approaching. That’s an issue with my WiFi I think.
Umm, other Ring users. They will post at 2am with stupid things like, “What was that noise?!” Or “I saw a coyote!” I’ve muted alerts from 10pm to 6am. I’ve yet to miss an important one. They’re also paranoid and horribly racist I’m sad to say.

Pros: I like knowing someone is approaching my door ahead of time and that I can see who it is. And some posts on the app are quite useful. Video of people breaking in cars and stealing packages. You get a location so know to be on the lookout.

We have the Nest one, not Ring. We have a lot of the Nest products so it just made sense to stick with the same system so they can all talk to each other. We've used it to talk to delivery people at our door when we were at work, so there's no delay. Ours is hard-wired to the power so no recharging. It does recognize people so instead of the regular ring it will say "so-and-so is at the door". We like it. It did take a bit of troubleshooting to get it working well. Usually the power running to your doorbell is not enough to keep a steady connection so you might need a new transformer, ours is in the attic so replacing it was a little tricky to get to, although very easy to actually do once we found it.

My son hates his.......it doesn't alert him someone is there until 15 minutes after they leave.
My daughter is looking for one too and he told her not to get that one. If he ever has time, he will be researching them again.

I will take after the fact someone knocked on our door yesterday no flyer no package, we are atarting to wonder if we were dig donged ditch
Mine is the Pro so hardwired. My DH created a wedge for it so that I could set the perimeters for our walkway and you can see the driveway with it. At first everything would set it off but I figured out how to set the perimeter to just before the sidewalk so that people walking their dogs or my neighbor getting in their car across the street don’t set it off. I also have the motion alerts muted on the doorbell/chime but have them alert on my phone.

Cons:
There’s a slight delay so sometimes I’m only getting someone walking away instead of them approaching. That’s an issue with my WiFi I think.
Umm, other Ring users. They will post at 2am with stupid things like, “What was that noise?!” Or “I saw a coyote!” I’ve muted alerts from 10pm to 6am. I’ve yet to miss an important one. They’re also paranoid and horribly racist I’m sad to say.

Pros: I like knowing someone is approaching my door ahead of time and that I can see who it is. And some posts on the app are quite useful. Video of people breaking in cars and stealing packages. You get a location so know to be on the lookout.

I turn my phone off as I am going to bed

We have the Nest one, not Ring. We have a lot of the Nest products so it just made sense to stick with the same system so they can all talk to each other. We've used it to talk to delivery people at our door when we were at work, so there's no delay. Ours is hard-wired to the power so no recharging. It does recognize people so instead of the regular ring it will say "so-and-so is at the door". We like it. It did take a bit of troubleshooting to get it working well. Usually the power running to your doorbell is not enough to keep a steady connection so you might need a new transformer, ours is in the attic so replacing it was a little tricky to get to, although very easy to actually do once we found it.

I will look into nest thank you

Last edited:

I will take after the fact someone knocked on our door yesterday no flyer no package, we are atarting to wonder if we were dig donged ditch

I turn my phone off as I am going to bed
I cannot do that for a variety of reasons.

I chose not to use the Ring brand, as I don't trust Amazon with my privacy and I didn't want to get into paying monthly fees. I went with the eufy camera system instead, all images are stored locally. HomeKit secure video is coming in the next few weeks then everything will be stored through the Apple ecosystem on my iCloud account.

As it is now I can see anyone that comes on our property and I am able to listen to them and talk back, even if I'm sitting at work. By the time they arrive at my door I've already been alerted.

At night the only alerts that come through are emergency calls from a selected few.

We love ours. We don't have it constantly tracking motion, so we only get alerts when someone actually rings it. Only con for us is that when the battery does need to be charged, it takes awhile. Great purchase for us overall.

So I don't really have an opinion (yet) other than I will add to check your existing doorbell.

I ordered a SimpliSafe version because we already have a SimpliSafe alarm system. It looked simple enough to self-install. Well, after I got it, I couldn't find the circuit breaker to turn off the doorbell. I finally realized it was battery operated. So now I'm waiting on an electrician to install it. I might have done something different had I looked at my existing doorbell more carefully.

We got one about 4 months ago. Yes, small things set it off. If the wind is blowing the limbs on the shrubs by the porch will set it off. Sometime cars coming in/out of our neighbors driveway will set it off if they are going super slow. It seems to have gotten better with that though. DH is cutting the grass right now and I am getting a notification every time he passes. :rolleyes2 I don't have my sound on my phone so it isn't bothering me. We have our hardwired. I installed it so it's not hard.

I will loominto nest thank you

Yes, my recc would also be the Neat Hello.

If you are invested in any smart home products, one thing to think about is compatibility. Nest obviously works with Google/Nest Home products. Ring works Amazon Alexa products.

If you have, or get, the Nest Home Hub or Nest Hub Max, the livestream video and audio will instantly (literally) show up on the display when someone rings the Nest Hello doorbell. No other brand of camera and type, including cell phone, comes close.

Nest camera quality is better than even Ring Pro.
But, Nest’s subscription to store video to the cloud cost almost twice as much as Ring’s.

The delay between ringing doorbell and getting notification is partly dependent on your home WiFi, but mostly the company’s servers. All of these smart doorbell companies will try to have you diagnose and troubleshoot your home internet, but really is just their servers being slow and they will never admit that.

We decided to go with Sky Bell instead of Ring. Sky Bell has a couple of different options available. It was very easy to install. We decided to go with Sky Bell because there is no monthly storage fee. It has worked great for us. Picture quality is excellent! Glad we made this choice.

Our Ring is just a simple video doorbell, on our wireless network. It has worked almost flawlessly for a couple years now and took less than 30 minutes to install and set up. I'd definitely recommend it. Having the video is a big plus from a security standpoint.

Has its issues with us. Sometimes it just doesnt work with the wifi so we get no notification via Alexa.. They is how our ringer is set up.. maybe we need to the the Ring ringer??

Though it always seems to notice when " somebody is standing at the front door" which is often when people are outside

I have the nest doorbell and three additional cameras. I'm happy with all of them and have had no real issues.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter