Can the one per ride express pass be used by more than one person?

ruthies12

DIS Veteran
The only express pass I've ever used has been the kind you get with the hotel room, I've never bought this kind before. We will have one day at both parks on the first Monday of December (12/3/18) and I'm considering getting those passes just so we can enjoy a more relaxed pace and be able to ride when we want without a long line. We have 2 adults and 2 children in our group. There are several rides that we will all 4 ride together and only want to do once so those passes make the most sense.

However, there are a few rides that my older dd and I like that my younger dd and dh will not be going on like Forbidden Journey and Gringotts and Mummy. So my question is can my older dd and I use the express passes that my dh and younger dd have so that we can ride those rides twice since they will not be using them to ride?

Wondering if those one per ride express passes are something they scan or is there a name attached to it or is it something you turn in per ride? I'm thinking if dd and I can use the other two passes for double rides on the rides they won't be riding then it is worth the money but if not and those will have to be wasted then it greatly decreases the value and I may not purchase them.....

Might be cheaper to book a throw away room

Unlimited ep for all 4 when booked at one

Do the math and see how much the one time usage would cost for 4 people compared to a one night room cost

OTOH, early December should not have large crowds

Thanks macraven but we really don't want to switch rooms so I don't think we are going to do that no matter how much cheaper it would be. I keep thinking that we won't need it on the day we are going but I thought that the weekend I picked last January would be low crowds and it wasn't. We specifically chose the weekend between MLK and harry potter so there would be less people and it was way more packed than I had expected.

I've emailed Universal to see if I can get an official answer and I'll come back and post it when I find out in case anyone else wants to know. Still hoping someone can verify what kind of pass it is when you buy it? Last time I had an onsite hotel I didn't have to get my pic taken for the pass, it was just a barcode that got scanned so I'm hoping this is the same way and then it shouldn't be a problem at all as far as I can see. I have a feeling my "official" answer is going to be that a pass can only be used by the same person lol

Thanks macraven but we really don't want to switch rooms so I don't think we are going to do that no matter how much cheaper it would be.
I'm not sure I understand your reply. Macraven wasn't suggesting you change rooms. If you are looking at purchasing 4 Multi-park single use EPs and lets say they price out at $200. But lets also say you get lucky and find RPR for that one night at $180. So you can spend $20 more for single use and "hope" you can switch who can use them or you can save $20 and get an unlimited EP and not worry about who can use. And no one is saying you have to switch rooms at all. Just go to RPR to get your EPs is all you have to do.

Even if the price comes out the same or maybe even a tad bit more, you would have unlimited EPs for both parks all day long which means no worrying about who can use which EP or if you have already used up the EP for a particular ride. :-)

Since they started using picture taking in some of the express lines, I'd say, it would be risky to let more than one person use a paid for express pass.

I agree with the others, check the price of the 3 onsite hotels. Just to get the unlimited express pass for all assigned to the room (up to 4 adults), may be the lowest cost for express. One night gets you the day you checked in and day you check out express passes. So, 2 days of them. Pay for Saturday night, check in as early as 6 am, to check in and get room keys on Saturday morning. Your room keys are your express passes. Even after you check out on Sunday morning, you can use the hotel's express pass the rest of Sunday, until park close.

While I know you have planned, it is far enough away, that things or days may change, and you can't go or not feeling well to go on a day you're there. Paid for express passes are date specific, park(s) specific, and no refund. So, if you really want them, I'd wait and buy them in the park, if you feel like you need them. While Universal sometimes changes the prices of express passes, I would still be wary of buying them too far out. Only time I would buy before coming is if during busy time in summer, or around and during holidays and big events. I go in October and Christmas time, both times, I stay at one of the 3 hotels that have the unlimited express. While some of the days in October I may not have to use them, at Christmas time, it was cheaper to stay onsite and get the express free. Even with 2 adults and a teen child.

If you are early, the first hour or so, is the best time to ride the popular rides. That may help with crowds. Plus, with the hotel stay, you also get early entry into one or both of the potter areas. That for me, can also be a big help with crowds as you are already through turnstiles, and in the back of the park(s) before the crowds start when the park opens. They do, sometimes, let you go thorough the turnstiles before open, but they hold you at the roads to the rides until open time.

Either way, I hope you enjoy your trip to Universal.

Just a quick search on the Universal website with no discounts for 12/3/18, you can book a room at Royal Pacific for $274 per night and that will give you unlimited express. The one time use express pass for both parks will run you at least $320 for 4. (The express pass prices aren't out for December but 79.99 per person was the cheapest I saw.)

Okay I see what you guys are saying get the room, but don't stay in it, just pick up the passes. That's a good idea, I was thinking you meant stay in the hotel room. I actually have a seasonal pass for myself already that will still be good on our trip so I may even be able to get an AP discount. I'll have to give that some thought. Thanks guys!

Check into the hotel for that throw away room and get the hotel key cards for all in your group

Each hotel card will have the guests name on it

You need this card to do EE and to use ep lines

Note that you don't have to ever go into the room if you don't want or need to. You can call the front desk from your cell phone the next day to check-out, though I suspect you don't even have to do that.

I will give you a caveat though. When I've done this, sometimes one or more your party (my daughter the last time) decided she would like to actually stay in the room. So we packed a few items and carried them over to stay in the room that night. It was actually kind of fun and gave us a different experience. But it isn't something you have to do if it causes logistical issues.

If a person books a one night stay only, you pay the deposit when you book it
and that would mean your entire stay has been paid for

Person would not have to stop at front desk to check out

One night deposit is required for all who book a room

Well now you all have me thinking of moving hotels lol. If I do this then I would save what I'm paying on the room at Disney for that night BUT then I have to deal with moving our luggage ourselves and not being able to use the magical express to the airport which we had planned on.

I was really against moving but now I'll have to give it more thought and decide if the money saved is worth the hassle. That Monday is our last day of our trip and we head to the airport the next afternoon so it would only be moving for the one night. and if I manage to get an AP rate the room won't be much more than what we were paying for our room at Disney so I'd be getting the express pass practically free!

But I really hate moving hotels. I've done it before and it is such a pain with the kids and all their crap. Good thing I have quite awhile to decide, first world problems right?

I've emailed Tony Hinds to get a price estimate on moving us from our Disney resort to royal pacific and then to the airport the next day. We were going to uber it to universal and back to Disney, but if we are moving our suitcases then I think he might be a better choice, especially since we need a booster seat for the 5 year old and have a mobility scooter in our party to deal with. Unless any of you have any wisdom on this as well?

Since your room is at Disney, how were you planning to get to universal for that round trip day visit ?

Taxi, Uber, Disney service, etc?

If you had a room at uo for last night of your trip, Uber to mco might be the cheapest way
Super shuttle charge from uo to mco is per person charges

Came back to add on to my post since you have contacted Tony

Should be $100 for his rt charge
Disney to uo then uo to mco

Yes he has booster seats and can handle a scooter

He is very dependable and many have been well pleased with his service

I highly suggest even if you don't stay the night, per se, take an overnight bag with some bathing suits. The concierge/luggage services are very convenient and the shower facilities in the gym at RPR are great. Also, pending on how your schedule ends up if you make any adjustments, it is well worth the boat to/from RPR to change into bathing suits and do the water rides at Islands for a couple of hours, then change back. Of course, that depends on weather, schedule, etc. but those 3 rides are among our best memories.

I was going to uber it and get an uber with a car seat which was going to be 36 each way. But that was without luggage or the scooter. If Tony is 100 then that would only be 28 more and might be worth it with all we will have with us and I like the idea of having a pre-scheduled pick up time.

Your basically just packing up 1-2 days earlier. Just put together a family overnight bag(s) and leave the bulk of your stuff packed up. Switching is a minor hassle in the scheme of things (aka great hotel and unlimited Express Passes :)).

If you use Tony, you can get a free grocery stop before he drops you at uo hotel

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter