Can someone help explain Disneyland area to me? Ideas for other destinations

scottmel

<font color=darkorchid>Does my logic in my origina
NEVER been to DL before. 18 times and counting to WDW. After 5 straight Junes in WDW, DD14 has asked for a different detination next summer and to bring a friend. We live in PA so we would be flying of course.

However I know NOTHING about DL and was hoping to do more on the trip than just DL. Girls aren't real into water parks, beach is so so would do for a short bit, we love WDW - Hollywood would be a neat diversion!

How would I plan such a trip? Allocate how many days where? What cities to visit? I thought of doing Adventures by Disney but cost is just too much to bring a friend along....

Thoughts? Thank you!

Did you want to drive around? Are you interested in touring Cal or did you want to stay close by the resort? How old is your daughter? Is your family Disney mad or so so?

I'm sure that I can give you lots of highlights from our trips to California with knowing a bit more.

~ AussieCaribou (don't let the name fool you...we have travelled the West Coast heaps of times)

There are tons of things to do in So Cal, just depends on how long you want to stay, what you want to do, and your tolerance for driving.

Theme parks and attractions:

Knott's Berry Farm in Buena Park (10-20 mins. from Anaheim). If you don't mind driving down to SD (2 hour drive each way), there is the San Diego Zoo and the Wild Animal Park (two separate parks at two separate locations - owned by same group). There's also Sea World in SD. Not quite in SD, but just north of it there's Legoland in Carlsbad. Also, during the summer, the county fair in Orange County will be going on in Costa Mesa (20 mins. from Anaheim).

Sports:

Angel Stadium (baseball) is just a few miles from DL, and Home Depot Center (soccer) is located between Anaheim and LA. Dodger Stadium (baseball) is in LA, but parking there is horrible.

Beaches:

Even if they aren't your thing, there are so many with their own individual style e.g. Huntington Beach, Venice Beach (walking there is great for sightseeing), 3rd Street Promenade on Santa Monica.

Museums:

World famous Getty Museum in LA (near UCLA Campus - on the west side of LA). Space Shuttle Endeavour is at the California Science Museum (near USC Campus - in downtown LA).

Wine Tasting:

Probably not with the little ones in tow, but Temecula is about 30 - 40 minutes away from Anaheim.

A little further away:

You could also drive out to Las Vegas (about 4 - 4.5 hours each way from Anaheim) or Phoenix (about 5 - 5.5 hours each way from Anaheim).

First, I'd like to say that it's great you're venturing out of Disneyland. One of the main differences between the DLR and WDW is WDW is a vacation destination and the DLR is an attraction of a vacation destination, which is California.

There's not much to do in Anaheim itself, but the good thing is there are lots of activities to do that aren't far at all from Anaheim. I'd go north from Anaheim and visit the Los Angeles and Hollywood area. You could take a Los Angeles/Hollywood tour. So many popular places and landmarks you could visit. Beverly Hills, museums, the Grove, Hollywood and Highland, multiple studio tours, Universal... The possibilities are endless. Not to mention all the popular SoCal places you could visit, like In-N-Out, Tommy's, Pink's, Roscoe's, etc. I love the Disney Soda Fountain in Hollywood. If you REALLY want to go way north, then San Francisco is a must. I love Frisco. Pier 39, the Golden Gate Bridge, great places to eat and not to mention, the Disney Family Museum.

Going more south of Anaheim, San Diego is amazing. Again, great places to eat and fun things to do, like the zoo, Sea World, Old Town, etc.

Hmm... Helps if you fully read the post. You DD is the same age as mine. Since I have a few minutes, I might get this started.

Hollywood is great. The Walk of Stars and Handprints of the Stars are great for Disney related hunting. Stop at Mel's for some great food (one block down). Also, there is the El Cap Theatre there which is Disney owned and often has really cool Disney events. We went to see Tron Legacy there... They also have a sweet little shop next door.

If you want to head south, there is San Diego...Balboa Park has some interesting museums. You can go to Sea World or go whale watching. Birch Aquarium at Scripts is interesting as well. I will be taking my DD there in Oct (if we make it over to the states this year). There is also the San Diego Zoo (and Safari Park).

If you are a military type or plane loving family, you could also look to see if Miramar is open for touring. There is also the SD Maritime Museum and the Midway.

Heading up to the LA area, there are 3 interesting to Disney fan things that don't get mentioned all that much. 1. Carolwood Railway (at the LA live steamers) has Walt's barn and lots of interesting items of his. They are not opened often but if they are when you are there, it's a lot of fun. 2. Stand at the studio gates and marvel. 3. Ride the merry go round in Griffith Park (that's where Walt first started to think of a place where kids and parents could play together, or so the myth goes).

Also, there is Universal Studios, Jim Hensen, Knott's Berry Farm, and Magic Mountain.

If you want to, there are some amazing museums (like the Page Museum-la breya tar pits).

Did you want to go north? I can continue if you do.

Depending on how much time you have, maybe consider flying into San Francisco, renting a car and driving to Disneyland and then flying home from either Anaheim or San Diego if you want to visit there! SF is so cool and you can visit Monterey as well and drive down 101, which is a beautiful drive, hit up San Luis Opisbo, Solvang, or Santa Barbara maybe!!!

Here is a link to the WHERE magazine (found in most hotel rooms) for L.A. and Orange County: http://wherela.com.
This will give you some idea of things to do in Southern California and the maps can give a general idea of where things are located in relation to DLR/Anaheim.
Hope this helps.

And if you go to San Fran, you can't go to the Disney Family museum....just be prepared, it's an all day experience.

~ AussieCaribou

Check out the top of the top of the Planning page on The DIS. There are links to several DIS Unplugged podcast series.

The Southern California 101 series is focusing on areas outside the immediate Disneyland Resort area.

You might also be interested in our Personalized Trip Planning series where we helped WDW vet Leah plan her first California vacation.

http://www.wdwinfo.com/disneyland/plan.htm

Hmm... Helps if you fully read the post. You DD is the same age as mine. Since I have a few minutes, I might get this started.

Hollywood is great. The Walk of Stars and Handprints of the Stars are great for Disney related hunting. Stop at Mel's for some great food (one block down). Also, there is the El Cap Theatre there which is Disney owned and often has really cool Disney events. We went to see Tron Legacy there... They also have a sweet little shop next door.

If you want to head south, there is San Diego...Balboa Park has some interesting museums. You can go to Sea World or go whale watching. Birch Aquarium at Scripts is interesting as well. I will be taking my DD there in Oct (if we make it over to the states this year). There is also the San Diego Zoo (and Safari Park).

If you are a military type or plane loving family, you could also look to see if Miramar is open for touring. There is also the SD Maritime Museum and the Midway.

Heading up to the LA area, there are 3 interesting to Disney fan things that don't get mentioned all that much. 1. Carolwood Railway (at the LA live steamers) has Walt's barn and lots of interesting items of his. They are not opened often but if they are when you are there, it's a lot of fun. 2. Stand at the studio gates and marvel. 3. Ride the merry go round in Griffith Park (that's where Walt first started to think of a place where kids and parents could play together, or so the myth goes).

Also, there is Universal Studios, Jim Hensen, Knott's Berry Farm, and Magic Mountain.

If you want to, there are some amazing museums (like the Page Museum-la breya tar pits).

Did you want to go north? I can continue if you do.

Yes, please go North!! Thanks!!

Here is a link to the WHERE magazine (found in most hotel rooms) for L.A. and Orange County: http://wherela.com.
This will give you some idea of things to do in Southern California and the maps can give a general idea of where things are located in relation to DLR/Anaheim.
Hope this helps.

Thanks for this!!! and all your help on the other boards!! I'm still planning!!!! I'm getting excited, we are a month out!!!!!:cool1::cool1::banana::banana:

Whenever I read these types of threads, I always think I had wierd kids. Going to Southern CA, they weren't too interested in museums. At that age my kids were into the "Hollywood" experience. Maybe they were watching too much tv?

I'd definitely head to Hollywood and check out the footprints/handprints, go up to the Dolby where the Oscars are held and get the obligatory photo of the Hollywood sign behind you, the hot dog place ?? Is that Pinks?, Rodeo Drive (even I had fun looking at the window displays...holy cow, a $10,000 MOnopoly game was in one. The best studio tour I took was Warner Bros. We saw actual working sets, one show where the cast was out eating lunch under the tent. We went and saw a few game shows as their age was 14+
Universal Studios would be good for the teenagers.

When I go down in a few months, I have my few things I want to see from the Housewives (SUR and the other restraunt Lisa owns, Newport Beach etc). Don't know if there's any shows your kids watch that something would interest them.

We live in NY and usually go to DLR just about every year since 1996. Somtimes we go twice in a year. A couple of times we have went to WDW.

As the kids have grown, we have gone to various other places while we stay at DLR. Most of our time is spent at the DLR resort, but .....

Universal Studios, Knott's Berry Farm, Six Flags Magic Mountain, Sea World, San Diego Zoo, Teen Choice Awards (???), LA Dodgers, Anaheim Angels, Sand Diego Padres, UCLA Football, Ronald Reagan Museum....etc

Besides weather , DLR/CA has so much more to do than WDW/FL dies, in our opinion.

I highly recommend Universal Hollywood. The back stage tour is almost worth the cost of admission alone. Griffith Observatory. Possibly the Reagan Library but it's almost 90 minutes from DL.

I hear great things about the Warner Bros tour. You could also catch a tv show taping like The Big Bang Theory. Madam Tussads wax museum is in Hollywood and, I heard, that the Disney Soda Fountain is within walking distance of the wax museum. This is on our list for our upcoming trip in October. Probably the only time I'll ever get a picture with Johnny Depp.

If your DD is "science-y" there are tech museums scattered all around CA. If you go to San Francisco and do the Walt Disney Museum, the San Francisco Exploritorium is almost right across the street. So far, our favorite tech museum is in San Jose. It's three stories high and has a movie theater inside. They are currently running a Star Trek "behind the scenes" type thing. In October of 2014, they're doing a Star Wars thing.

Another favorite of mine is Yosemite National park. Gorgeous hikes for all levels, beautiful waterfalls, and an Indian Village.

I agree with the PP who suggested get a CA touring guide book. Sit down with your DD and her friend and start making a list. After the list is done, figure out how many days you're going to be in CA and make a plan of attack. There is lots of stuff to do in CA, I'm sure you guys will have a blast:thumbsup2

OP here. WOW is all I can say. I honestly had NO idea there was THAT much to do. I just feel so overwhelmed....I guess that is why I gravitate back to WDW every year, it is familiar! Ok going with my DL theme - questions below!

1. I am GUESSING 4 days for DL.
2. Universal. I have been to FL version several times. Is it worth it for this one? Is it a lot different? Obviously no Potter World....
3. Beach. I could do one for a few nights....maybe!
4. I saw that Adventures By Disney does a Hollywood excursion to which you don't have to be part of an Adventures By Disney tour to go on. Side trip that we could do. Anyone do a day trip with AbD? Figure a day here...

I can't really see Sea World in the plans..or LEGOLAND either.....Would another amusement park be worth seeing or can my time be spent elsewhere? No idea Disney museum was there. Would like to do this...Not sure about San Fransisco. Seems so overwhelming to try to grasp all this...

Universal in California shares a lot of attractions with Florida but is much smaller. The main thing that California has over Florida is the Studio Tour, which is excellent, and offers a few other diversions within the tour (i.e. Jaws, King Kong, etc.) And since it is a working studio, the movie-making spirit is more present than in Florida. The new Transformers ride (now also open in FL) is also very very well done. But everything else you can do (and probably have done) in Florida.

If you're interested in the Studio Tour and don't see yourself getting out to Florida soon (to ride Transformers), go to Universal. Otherwise, your time may be better spent doing other things.

OP here. WOW is all I can say. I honestly had NO idea there was THAT much to do. I just feel so overwhelmed....I guess that is why I gravitate back to WDW every year, it is familiar! Ok going with my DL theme - questions below!

1. I am GUESSING 4 days for DL.
2. Universal. I have been to FL version several times. Is it worth it for this one? Is it a lot different? Obviously no Potter World....
3. Beach. I could do one for a few nights....maybe!
4. I saw that Adventures By Disney does a Hollywood excursion to which you don't have to be part of an Adventures By Disney tour to go on. Side trip that we could do. Anyone do a day trip with AbD? Figure a day here...

I can't really see Sea World in the plans..or LEGOLAND either.....Would another amusement park be worth seeing or can my time be spent elsewhere? No idea Disney museum was there. Would like to do this...Not sure about San Fransisco. Seems so overwhelming to try to grasp all this...

IMHO, 3 days at DL is enough. The Universal back lot tour is worth the trip. It's huge with lots of great stuff to see and several small shows.

Wine Tasting:

Probably not with the little ones in tow, but Temecula is about 30 - 40 minutes away from Anaheim.

Why not wine tasting with kids in tow? The last time I went wine tasting we brought along the kid since that winery had no restrictions on children. We went on a tour and when it came time for the complimentary tasting, our kid was handed a cup of grape juice so as to not feel left out. However, this was a major winery and that's probably why they were prepared.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter