Can someone clarify "tipping" for me?

Same here, saw him twice on 7 night cruise, the time we had lobster and the last night, what a joke, having to tip him!
He probably had a lot more to do with your service than you think. We saw ours three times, the first day of the cruise, the last day of the cruise, and the night our Assistant Server was on Mars (after getting a Dear John letter from his girlfiend). The Head server was our Assistant Server that night

I think that the standard gratuities are the only "hidden" cost of your cruise - I've been on over 20 so it's kinda autopilot for me with regards to costs. Remember, if you want something and they ask for you room key - you are being charged.

For budgeting purposes here is a very general, very incomplete list of activities / services that you can participate in on the ships...
  • It is customary to tip the porters (luggage handlers) on embarkation day and disembarkation day - if you take advantage of their service.
  • Palo / Remy server should be tipped in addition to the up-charge that DCL charges for the experience.
  • Any time someone brings you a drink when NOT in a main dining room - there will be a charge (and an automatic gratuity). You can make friends with a bar server up top on the pool deck the first day by adding a tip, and he/she will be your fiend for the duration of the cruise - making sure that you are "watered" and happy!
  • Port Adventures are an extra charge
  • Mixology Classes / Wine Tastings carry a charge, but the "Anyone can cook" series is free (and frequently includes a taste of wine with the food)
  • Spa Treatments carry a charge, but working out in the gym does not. Some of the classes carry a charge (ie body sculpt fitness / ... bootcamp), but most of their activities do not. There is a steam room / sauna in the locker room - that's free, but the rainforest room in the spa costs montey.
  • Sports deck activities / areas - free. Sports simulator on Dream / Fantasy - hourly cost
  • Kids Clubs (3-18) are free, but the Nursery carries an hourly charge
  • Bingo - costs money ... Trivia, Towel Folding, Baby Races, Chip It Golf, etc are free
  • Late Night Snacks - in various bars / lounges are free (mini buffet / catering trays) , however some of the bars have a Food Menu and if you order off of the menu - there's a charge
  • Specialty Coffees - in the Cove Cafe (and other locations on the various ships) carry a fee, however the treats they have are free - and you don't need to order a coffee to have one (or 2 or 7)
  • Room Service - most items are free, others carry a charge - see the menu
  • In the Kids Clubs - if they are having a Smoothie Happy Hour - i BELIEVE that those are free. If ordering them with dinner or at other locations - there's a cost
  • Quick / Fast serve locations and soft serve ice cream on the pool deck are free. Except for items you get from "Fro Zone" and / or Vanelopies.

It's almost like dug and I have special diets and therefore know what the heads do to make that happen. :)

I still barely see them, though. On Disney or Royal.

For now, sure. But it's very much worth knowing that their job is not to say hi. It's to make sure the whole place is running smoothly and to fix problems as they arise. If everything went smoothly for you or if a problem was fixed for you, then the head is doing his job.
For always. The moment they start dictating what’s required, they have a problem with what gratuity is all about. Providing exceptional service. A tip should not be expected. It should be earned.

JW

It's almost like dug and I have special diets and therefore know what the heads do to make that happen. :)

I still barely see them, though. On Disney or Royal.

That, plus on the Magic in Feb I finally got to see mine step in when we had a sub server because ours was sick and the combination of a not-regular team and a large table being ridiculously needy (meaning: one of the kids would pitch a fit and demand a new ketchup Mickey head each time he dipped a fry and adults who insisted on ordering one drink at a time - as in ONE adult would order a second (or third or fourth) alcoholic drink, the assistant server would see the nearly empty glasses in front of all of them and ask if anyone else wanted one only to be told “No, no. We’re fine.” until he brought that one when ONE other adult would want a new one and so forth, etc.). Had the head server finally not stepped in, we might still be there.

Servers at Palo are not included in the automatic tipping. You are welcome to add a tip on your bill at the end of meal, which will be charged to your shipboard account. How much to tip at Palo is a common discussion topic on this board. My husband and I estimate what the meal would cost at an on-shore restaurant and tip accordingly.

I think that the standard gratuities are the only "hidden" cost of your cruise - I've been on over 20 so it's kinda autopilot for me with regards to costs. Remember, if you want something and they ask for you room key - you are being charged.

For budgeting purposes here is a very general, very incomplete list of activities / services that you can participate in on the ships...
  • It is customary to tip the porters (luggage handlers) on embarkation day and disembarkation day - if you take advantage of their service.
  • Palo / Remy server should be tipped in addition to the up-charge that DCL charges for the experience.
  • Any time someone brings you a drink when NOT in a main dining room - there will be a charge (and an automatic gratuity). You can make friends with a bar server up top on the pool deck the first day by adding a tip, and he/she will be your fiend for the duration of the cruise - making sure that you are "watered" and happy!
  • Port Adventures are an extra charge
  • Mixology Classes / Wine Tastings carry a charge, but the "Anyone can cook" series is free (and frequently includes a taste of wine with the food)
  • Spa Treatments carry a charge, but working out in the gym does not. Some of the classes carry a charge (ie body sculpt fitness / ... bootcamp), but most of their activities do not. There is a steam room / sauna in the locker room - that's free, but the rainforest room in the spa costs montey.
  • Sports deck activities / areas - free. Sports simulator on Dream / Fantasy - hourly cost
  • Kids Clubs (3-18) are free, but the Nursery carries an hourly charge
  • Bingo - costs money ... Trivia, Towel Folding, Baby Races, Chip It Golf, etc are free
  • Late Night Snacks - in various bars / lounges are free (mini buffet / catering trays) , however some of the bars have a Food Menu and if you order off of the menu - there's a charge
  • Specialty Coffees - in the Cove Cafe (and other locations on the various ships) carry a fee, however the treats they have are free - and you don't need to order a coffee to have one (or 2 or 7)
  • Room Service - most items are free, others carry a charge - see the menu
  • In the Kids Clubs - if they are having a Smoothie Happy Hour - i BELIEVE that those are free. If ordering them with dinner or at other locations - there's a cost
  • Quick / Fast serve locations and soft serve ice cream on the pool deck are free. Except for items you get from "Fro Zone" and / or Vanelopies.
Good summary:

Of course internet access, photos are a big budget item for many to consider. As far as tipping, just remember like restaurants in the US, servers are paid very little base salary and they depend on their tips. All work every day for 6-8 months straight, at least 12 hours each day. Think about that when you are questioning $12/day per person in your cruise. Think about what a meal in the dining room would equate to if you were eating at a fine restaurant back home, and then add 20% on top of that, it turns out to be less than the cruise line recommended tip.

DCL Cruise Expenses (other than cruise fare and automatic gratuities)

1. Alcoholic drinks at the bars and from roving servers (welcome aboard)
2. Wine by the glass or wine packages at meals
3. Spa treatments
4. Shore excursions (including cabanas and rentals at CC)
5. Purchases from the stores: clothing, sundries, jewelry, souvenirs, etc.
6. Adult dining (Palo, Remy)
7. Bottled water
8. Photos (individual and packages)
9. Onboard booking for future cruises
10. Disney Vacation Club membership (you can purchase on board)
11. Art (thank goodness those "auctions" are gone, but you can still purchase art)
12. Candy and snacks outside theater
13. Tips for room service
14. Internet
15. Room upgrades (usually at port, sometimes GS)
16. Bingo
17. Parking/transportation
18. Port porters gratuity
19. Alcohol and cigarettes for delivery at end of voyage
20. Welcome aboard packages (flowers, candy, etc waiting in your cabin)
21. Adventures by Disney (you can purchase on board)
22. Cameras from photo shop
23. Cellular phone calls (although it will be billed later to your phone bill)
24. Medical care
25. Cigars (Meridian bar)
26. Arcade
27. Hair Braiding
28. Nursery care for children under 3
29. Tastings and Mixology
30. Excursion tips
31. Soft drinks from room service or bar
32. Specialty coffee
33. Meeting room rental
34. Onboard or Castaway Cay wedding (currently $3000/$4000)
35. Vow renewal ceremony
36. Sports simulator
37. Laundry room
38. Send-out laundry and dry cleaning
39. Room service sodas and candy (these have a charge)
40. Additional tip (over the automatic) for bar servers
41. Required gratuity added to spa services
42. Pins sold at trading pin sessions
43. Extra wave phone rental
44. Duties at customs at end of cruise if you've made a LOT of purchases abroad
45. Ship to shore calls from your room phone
46. Fuel supplement charge if the price of oil is above a certain level
47. Popcorn at theater
48. Fish Extender program gifts
49. Kids’s club magic bands (if you want to keep them, you lose the deposit)
50. Stamps from Post Office at Castaway Cay
51. Tip for Castaway Cay cabana host (you’ll need cash for this one)
52. Sparkling or still (plain specialty) water with your meal
53. Upcharge food items at the adult clubs
54. Candy and ice cream from Vanellope’s on the Dream
55. Smoothies from the bar in Senses Spa on the Dream
56. Required tip at spa (not optional)
57. Extra wave phone
58. Tuxedo rental
59. Corkage fee for your wine in MDR
60. Scooter rental (for handicap us on ship)

Tipping opportunities:

Room steward *
Dining room server *
Dining room assistant server *
Dining room head server *
Bar drinks from any bar **
Popcorn and snacks sold at theaters **
Drinks sold by roving crew at sail away party or at shows **
Coffee drinks at the coffee bar **
Roving beach drink servers **
Wine steward (sommelier) **
Spa treatments ***
Photographers at private shoots
Room service
Concierge hosts
Concierge bartender
Concierge assistant room steward
Palo
Remy
Cabana Host
Luggage handlers at port
Taxi/bus/shuttle drivers to and from port
Shore excursion bus drivers, hosts, meal servers, guides
Hair braiding on deck

* Standard gratuities automatically added to your account, you can change at your discretion
** A tip is automatically added to your bill at each purchase, you can increase at your discretion
*** Mandatory 18% tip added to your bill

Other positions you DO NOT tip and likely will not accept them:
Children's club counselors
Ships officers
The Captain
Customs officials :)
Characters (meet and greet or photo ops)
Guest services personnel
Entertainers
Counter/buffet food servers
Bibbidi Bobbidi Boutique

Can one tell the desk “I don’t want to give the full amount”. For instance our head waiter was fairly worthless this last cruise and the whole table thought Why the hell are we giving this guy a tip when he said hi maybe twice. I don’t know if really would have done it but is it a thing we could do?

The head waiters work behind the scenes to make sure everything goes smoothly. They are in charge of a restaurant, not just a table. No reason to not tip the head server.

The head waiters work behind the scenes to make sure everything goes smoothly. They are in charge of a restaurant, not just a table. No reason to not tip the head server.
Agreed. If a head server is doing his/her job, you won't ever see them. If they are showing up at your table every night, hanging around, passing time talking, they aren't keeping a good eye on their area and heading off any problems.

I was also a bit skeptical when it came to tipping the head server because he provided no service to our table and only said hi on the first night. I had a better head server on different cruise and he actually interacted with us, took photos and played a game, so I guess it just depends. It's good to know that they work behind the scenes and keep everything in check.

Our assistant server on the Dream was Inigo- from Spain (anyone else have him?) and he blew us away with his courtesy and professionalism. He disappeared for 5 mins hunting down a specific tea for someone at our table. Our main server was fine but Inigo went above and beyond the call of duty and very much deserved that extra tip. I believe he's no longer working for DCL and that's a shame because I was looking forward to having him being our server again.

One concierge-related tipping question... for the bartender hosts, do most people tip them at the end of the cruise -- or for every encounter getting drinks?

One concierge-related tipping question... for the bartender hosts, do most people tip them at the end of the cruise -- or for every encounter getting drinks?

Oh wait, ignore my answer. I don’t do concierge. But if I did I would on every encounter.

Agreed. If a head server is doing his/her job, you won't ever see them. If they are showing up at your table every night, hanging around, passing time talking, they aren't keeping a good eye on their area and heading off any problems.

Funny, we just got off a cruise on Friday and I thought about this thread numerous times. We had no issues at our table, in fact we loved it! Yet we saw him I think every night, just saying hello and being involved with making sure his dining room ran like a top. I thought, now this guy gets it! He, I would tip! (So I tipped he and our servers a little more).

Funny, we just got off a cruise on Friday and I thought about this thread numerous times. We had no issues at our table, in fact we loved it! Yet we saw him I think every night, just saying hello and being involved with making sure his dining room ran like a top. I thought, now this guy gets it! He, I would tip! (So I tipped he and our servers a little more).
We have only removed the head guys tip once. It was the speech about excellent service and making sure that we gave a 10. We do when they need it. Since we didn’t have any issues. They were getting a 10. Yet, I didn’t need it repeated nightly.

One night we ate at Palo @ 6pm. We loved the meal. Yet we wanted to be in the MDR for our late dining to visit the dining room and experience the entertainment along with the menu.

We advised that we would nibble on a few items to try them, as they don’t do half servings. They seemed offended when we weren’t hungry even though we advised them
We just ate.

Oh well. Not my loss. We have the extra to our room host. Who also did an amazing job!

That was our experience on the Fantasy as well. Our Head Server came by every night to say, "hi," see how things were going, and how our day was. On the nights we were celebrating, he'd head up the celebration. Zero problems, and we always looked forward to seeing his infectious smile and wit. We knew he was busy, and he didn't stay long, but he always made the effort, with a smile, and something nice to say. Our first DCL cruise was on the Dream, and we hardly saw our head server. He'd barely say hi, and when he did, he hardly made eye contact with us. I understand being busy and doing your job, but it's also important to look at the people you're speaking to. On the last night of the cruise, he pretty much just stopped by to collect his tip envelope.

I was also a bit skeptical when it came to tipping the head server because he provided no service to our table and only said hi on the first night. I had a better head server on different cruise and he actually interacted with us, took photos and played a game, so I guess it just depends. It's good to know that they work behind the scenes and keep everything in check.

Our assistant server on the Dream was Inigo- from Spain (anyone else have him?) and he blew us away with his courtesy and professionalism. He disappeared for 5 mins hunting down a specific tea for someone at our table. Our main server was fine but Inigo went above and beyond the call of duty and very much deserved that extra tip. I believe he's no longer working for DCL and that's a shame because I was looking forward to having him being our server again.

Was his last name Montoya? :P I would have been quoting Princess Bride all night.

If you don’t think the head waiter does anything- you’ve obviously never met Witt on the Fantasy. Dude was everywhere. He spent time with us every night, knew the kids names, helped us figure out things with my sons allergies. He was the best head waiter I have ever had (15 cruises on various lines).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter