Can Mr. Banks save Disney films?

I was listening to a few critics that have seen the film and they mentioned Hanks portrayal of Walt. They said why'll he didn't exactly look or sound like him, he felt like Walt and that is more important than doing just an impersonation because it felt like a real performance.

I think he looks more like him than he sounds like him. He really should have done a better job with the voice rather than just select a random southern accent. Hey, at least he really grew in the moustache.

I saw it yesterday and spoke to some of the people who were there at the same showing (during the day on a work day). None of them were huge "Disney fans". They knew it was about Mary Poppins, and that's why they came. They were very positive.

Maybe in the same way that no-one I met here in Britain could care anything about the Lone Ranger, maybe this one is one for the Brits? Afterall, Emma Thompson is something of a national treasure, and Mary Poppins most certainly is (you only have to note her inclusion in the Opening Ceremony at London 2012) and most of us can't tell if Walt's accent is wrong (I certainly would have had no clue if I hadn't read it here, but I've seen very little footage of him and can't separate most US accents from each other).

Beautiful film, very well done. I wasn't expecting to be quite so moved, but fortunately I wasn't the only person shedding a tear during the last half hour or so.

Maybe in the same way that no-one I met here in Britain could care anything about the Lone Ranger,
Trust me when I tell you no one (did I say NO ONE?) saw The Lone Ranger here, either.

maybe this one is one for the Brits? Afterall, Emma Thompson is something of a national treasure,
I'll be annoyed if an British woman wins an award for playing a British woman. Hardly stretching one's acting abilities.

and Mary Poppins most certainly is (you only have to note her inclusion in the Opening Ceremony at London 2012)
I wouldn't have expected anything less from a nation of communists. :)

and most of us can't tell if Walt's accent is wrong (I certainly would have had no clue if I hadn't read it here, but I've seen very little footage of him and can't separate most US accents from each other).
Which is odd, because I can certainly tell a Cockney accent from an alleged "proper" English accent.

There are more than two British accents. She can probably tell a Texas accent from NY, but Texas from South Georgia? Boston from NY? I could see that being difficult for non-Americans.

There are more than two British accents. She can probably tell a Texas accent from NY, but Texas from South Georgia? Boston from NY? I could see that being difficult for non-Americans.

Exactly... But even other Brits struggle between a Yorkshire and a Lancashire accent, or a Devon or Cornish accent.

You're guesses are accurate. I could probably spot a Texan accent, and NY, but there are so many variations of accent that most would leave me stumped.

People from Missouri sound nothing like people from Georgia. No matter what planet you're from.

Let me know what you think of his ridiculous southern accent. Maybe Hanks' research was flawed and he thought he came from Georgia or something.

Doesn't sound Southern to me, but I can't identify what it's supposed to be. I think he's trying to copy WD's cadence, but I remember most the deepness and timber of Disney's voice.

I just saw a press showing of Saving Mr. Banks. It does not disappoint.

Saving Mr. Banks review by a Mary Poppins fan:

It was amazing! I loved it from the moment it started. I felt for Mrs. Travers not wanting to give away her beloved characters, but at the same time rooting for the Disney team to get the rights. The original Mary Poppins music was sprinkled throughout, and hidden in the background were a few other Disney gems (including Zip-A-Do-Dah). I loved Tom Hanks as Walt Disney and Emma Thompson as P. L. Travers. They were both amazing and very believable (especially Emma Thompson).

One credit at the very end of the film was added only a few weeks ago... The film was dedicated to Diane Miller Disney, Walt Disney's adopted daughter. I felt that this was especially touching since Walt wanted to make his two daughters' beloved Mary Poppins for his daughters.

I can't wait to see it again and can't express fully how amazing it was.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

I just saw a press showing of Saving Mr. Banks. It does not disappoint.

Saving Mr. Banks review by a Mary Poppins fan:

It was amazing! I loved it from the moment it started. I felt for Mrs. Travers not wanting to give away her beloved characters, but at the same time rooting for the Disney team to get the rights. The original Mary Poppins music was sprinkled throughout, and hidden in the background were a few other Disney gems (including Zip-A-Do-Dah). I loved Tom Hanks as Walt Disney and Emma Thompson as P. L. Travers. They were both amazing and very believable (especially Emma Thompson).

One credit at the very end of the film was added only a few weeks ago... The film was dedicated to Diane Miller Disney, Walt Disney's adopted daughter. I felt that this was especially touching since Walt wanted to make his two daughters' beloved Mary Poppins for his daughters.

I can't wait to see it again and can't express fully how amazing it was.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

I'm excited to see this show ;). Diane was his biological daughter.

Yes, I do know Sony did every Spiderman movie so far. I just say with how Disney treated The Avengers and Iron Man 3 (have yet to see Thor The Dark World but it looks amazing and I've got friends who testify it is.) I'd much rather see what they could do with it. Not really that enthusiastic about the sequel to Amazing Spiderman. Isn't there two villains? Didn't we learn from Spiderman 3? That franchise doesn't do multiple villains well........
But I am very aware that Gwen is technically Peter's first girl so it was a good angle to go. But that means to follow the actual storyline they need to bring Green Goblin back (that storyline brings the focus to Mary Jane) and I don't think plugging Willem Defoe into this new franchise will fit nor do I think it'll happen.

100% agree, though I did like Avengers and Iron Man 3. I don't think 2 villains will end well. It makes it difficult to have a central plot. A hero, villain, and anti-hero can work (which DC seems to have down, but marvel hasn't really done), but that doesn't seem to be what they're going for.

I wasn't overly excited about seeing Saving Mr. Banks. Seeing Tom Hanks portray a legend like Walt Disney wasn't something that was sitting right with me. However, I went this afternoon and found myself in utter awe of this movie. It was pure brilliance and an example of incredible Disney storytelling.

I found myself having a true emotional connection throughout the film especially the second half. In fact, because I was so skeptical of Tom Hanks playing Walt, I found myself having trouble seeing him as anything but himself...that is, until midway through. There's a scene involving Walt at Mrs. Travers' house in England; he was telling a story of his childhood and I got chills. He was no longer Tom Hanks and truly mimicked mannerisms, dialect, and facial expressions of Walt perfectly. I picked up on these things a few times during the first part of the movie, but this is where it really hit me.

Bravo to all who worked on this outstanding film. It was amazing!

I wasn't overly excited about seeing Saving Mr. Banks. Seeing Tom Hanks portray a legend like Walt Disney wasn't something that was sitting right with me. However, I went this afternoon and found myself in utter awe of this movie. It was pure brilliance and an example of incredible Disney storytelling.

I found myself having a true emotional connection throughout the film especially the second half. In fact, because I was so skeptical of Tom Hanks playing Walt, I found myself having trouble seeing him as anything but himself...that is, until midway through. There's a scene involving Walt at Mrs. Travers' house in England; he was telling a story of his childhood and I got chills. He was no longer Tom Hanks and truly mimicked mannerisms, dialect, and facial expressions of Walt perfectly. I picked up on these things a few times during the first part of the movie, but this is where it really hit me.

Bravo to all who worked on this outstanding film. It was amazing!

The scene with PL Travers and Walt was great but more toward the end than half way thru. I was shocked by how little "Walt" was in the movie, but thought Hanks did a great job. The story was fabulous. I was amazed and not what I envisioned going in.

I'll be annoyed if an British woman wins an award for playing a British woman. Hardly stretching one's acting abilities.

So an American shouldn't win an Oscar if they're portraying a character who is also American?

I thought the movie was amazing. Yes, I love Disney and Mary Poppins, so the nostalgia factor played a part in how much I enjoyed it. But I don't think there's anything wrong with that. My DH didn't come to the movies because he was busy, but I'm confident that if he had he would have really liked it. And he doesn't care for all things Disney like I do.

I might not represent the general population since I love Disney more than most but I have a 6 year old that adores Mary Poppins. We've watched the movie together and saw it on Broadway. We bought the CD at the performance and my little guy knows the songs better than I do. I'm not sure how many of his classmates would be familiar though.

Saw the movie yesterday with DD, and both DD 's. We all loved the movie!!! So glad we went to see it. Next movie will be Frozen!!!

I really enjoyed Saving Mr Banks. I'll admit, from the previews, I was in the camp of, "That's not Walt Disney, that's Tom Hanks!" but he really won me over. Thought the whole cast was great. I SO wanted to stand up and applaud at the end of the "Let's Go Fly a Kite" scene, that was such an utter delight. LOVED everything involving DaGradi and the Sherman Bros.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter