Can Mr. Banks save Disney films?

RichieRich13

If I had a world of my own, everything would be no
As a huge fan of all Disney films, I watched the trailer for Saving Mr. Banks about 10 times. I m very eager for this movie. Tom Hanks seems to fit the bill as Uncle Walt. However, Will this movie make bank. sadly with past Disney feature films of recent (i.e. John Carter, Lone Ranger, etc. I loved both on a side note) Those movies in a way were targeted for everyone. With Saving Mr. Banks, The only people I think that are going to want to see this film are the true die hard fans because it is about the making of a movie (that sadly this generation has forgotten about or dont know what it is.) 50 years ago. And lets be honest, one of the biggest gripes I heard about John Carter is that it was adapted from a book written 100 years ago...and that film was amazing. Again I think that Saving Mr. Banks will be an amazing movie as well. but will everybody agree? The movie to me seems it should have been a made for TV film. WHICH brings me to my next point...
I think Disney missed a golden opportunity to bring back the Wonderful World of Disney. This movie could have jump started a trend of family and quality entertainment.
What are your thoughts?

You've pretty much said what I was saying all along. Disney made a film about purchasing the rights to a book. The only reason it might non-Disney fans is either because Tom Hanks fans will sit through any of his garbage, and Emma Thompson is getting noticed for playing a British woman. Major stretch there. Otherwise, does the common man really care about the story here? Of course, following this post we're bound to get people going "Oh my god, I love the trailer and I can't wait to see this movie, it's going to be awesome, blah blah blah". And who is this coming from? Hard core Disney fans who live on a forum.

It is shame that Disney was spending a lot of money and hoping big tent blockbuster were the way to make movies.

It was not Disney's original idea to make this film. An outside group who wanted to make it came to them, they like the script, and they decided to buy the rights. // It also was not that expensive a film to make -- maybe 35 million.

I'm curious, like you, to see how it does at the box office. It's PG 13, so aimed for adults, not children, and probably most appealing to aging baby boomers and their parents. Many of us are still in love with Walt and Mary Poppins and we love Tom Hanks and Emma Thompson too, but this group doesn't go out and see all that many movies. Although I will say that I showed DS 18 some of the clips, and he was quick to say, "Sure mom, I'll go." It doesn't have the kid product tie ins, etc. that so many of their films do, so is more limited in money making potential. I think the idea of success for this, has got to be different than the typical Disney movie.

I don't go to a lot of movies these days, but am excited about this one (It's the only holiday movie at the theatres that I'll see in all likelihood) and have talked by husband, son (18), mom (75) and aunt and uncle (low 70s) into all going to see it together as a family when my family is visiting them from out of town. Couldn't talk my dad into it though, but he'll see it when it comes on TV. If there are enough people like me around, it could do pretty well -- make a profit at least. I wouldn't expect it to be a blockbuster, though. It's just not that kind of film.

Remember, Disney/Buena Vista owns Marvel. Avengers and Iron Man 3 are top five all time in worldwide gross, and the new Thor movie has earned over a half billion. I guess the core Disney films brand has taken some hits, but by acquiring Marvel and Pixar, their overall movie business is doing fine.

Remember, Disney/Buena Vista owns Marvel. Avengers and Iron Man 3 are top five all time in worldwide gross, and the new Thor movie has earned over a half billion. I guess the core Disney films brand has taken some hits, but by acquiring Marvel and Pixar, their overall movie business is doing fine.

To me, Disney will always be merley a distribution channel for Marvel. Leave the pros to their superhero films and let Disney throw their name on it. Worked for Toy Story. Not so much for Mars Needs Moms.

I loved what Disney has done since taking over Marvel. Wish they'd steal Spiderman back from Sony cause I was NOT impressed by The Amazing Spiderman. Andrew Garfield was a good Peter/Spidey but I didn't like Gwen Stacey and I thought the Lizard was a boring villain. If they could go back in time and use Andrew in the original trilogy I'd call it perfect......Willem Defoe as Green Goblin and Alfred Molina as Doc Ock were fantastic. Also props to that dude who played Jameson.
Anyway.......I'll probably see Saving Mr Banks, just on DVD, likely not in theaters. I have grown to love Mary Poppins as I've gotten older and I'm a history/background geek so learning how Walt worked with PL Travers to bring it to the big screen is an interesting plot for me.
Overall I'm a real Disney nut (if I wasn't I wouldn't be here, duh!) but that doesn't mean I like everything......I can be quite vicious when asked my opinion on Brave. Just no fan of that movie at all......biggest complaint? Seen it before! It was like, Brother Bear Scotland. (Sorry if that's a spoiler) I could go on but......
But to OP's question, yes, I want to see Saving Mr Banks.

With Saving Mr. Banks, The only people I think that are going to want to see this film are the true die hard fans because it is about the making of a movie (that sadly this generation has forgotten about or dont know what it is.) 50 years ago.

I work in a high school here in the UK and kids not knowing Mary Poppins would be a minority. Everyone knows her. It's a classic, and can almost be guaranteed that she'll be on tv over the Christmas period. I wore my 'Practically Perfect' t shirt last week and so many of the kids commented on the MP reference!

I work in a high school here in the UK and kids not knowing Mary Poppins would be a minority. Everyone knows her. It's a classic, and can almost be guaranteed that she'll be on tv over the Christmas period. I wore my 'Practically Perfect' t shirt last week and so many of the kids commented on the MP reference!

While everyone may 'know' her, do they really care? Certainly not here in the US. I asked my nephew and he had no idea it was a movie. Asked some of the kids on my block, and same thing. It's not a movie parents use to introduce their children to Disney films.

They also own Lucasfilm.

Disney isn't hurting. Die hards will see Saving Mr. banks. I sort of think it's meant to be an Oscar film more than a huge blockbuster.

Most could tell you the plot and sing some of the songs. Whether they'd want to see Saving Mr Banks is another question (will be interesting to see how full the cinema is when I see it on Friday, as opening nights often sell out at our cinema as films don't hang around for more than a week or two as it only has two screens).

I loved what Disney has done since taking over Marvel. Wish they'd steal Spiderman back from Sony cause I was NOT impressed by The Amazing Spiderman. Andrew Garfield was a good Peter/Spidey but I didn't like Gwen Stacey and I thought the Lizard was a boring villain. If they could go back in time and use Andrew in the original trilogy I'd call it perfect......Willem Defoe as Green Goblin and Alfred Molina as Doc Ock were fantastic. Also props to that dude who played Jameson.

Wow, I hate to be lured off topic by this, but I'm taking the bait anyway.

I have to agree to disagree with you here! I thought Amazing Spiderman was the best Spiderman, yet. I thought Toby McGuire was a TERRIBLE Spiderman. In my mind, Spiderman is supposed to be cool. He just came off as a wimp at all times to me. He never stopped being Peter Parker. Garfield comes across as the Spiderman I watched in cartoons growing up, and more like the comic version of Spiderman. I was at first a bit skeptical about removing Mary Jane, but that's how the comics had it originally, and it made it easier because I thought Emma Stone was an excellent Gwen. In my opinion the acting was better, and it was all just refreshing because it was totally believable. A loser in high school gets super powers, and he hides them from his crush?! I don't believe that for a second. I do agree that the Lizard was a fairly boring villain, and Defoe is just awesome at everything he does. I, personally, would give Amazing Spiderman 5 stars and the previous trilogy 3 stars. I'll probably never watch a McGuire Spiderman movie again. But, you know what they say about opinions.

On the other hand, I'm not sure what you're getting at by saying you "wish they'd steal Spiderman back from Sony" because of Amazing Spiderman. You realize Sony did the other trilogy, too, right? From what I understand, Marvel didn't make any of the Spiderman movies. But anyway, :offtopic:

I think you've got a good point, OP. I, myself, have been ignoring "Saving Mr. Banks" threads thinking it's some boring live action Disney movie like John Carter. Then we saw a trailer on TV yesterday for it. We didn't realize the movie had Walt as a main character. When we saw that, we were immediately interested. I think it could have been titled better.

Agreed....

Son of Gadsden said:
On the other hand, I'm not sure what you're getting at by saying you "wish they'd steal Spiderman back from Sony" because of Amazing Spiderman. You realize Sony did the other trilogy, too, right? From what I understand, Marvel didn't make any of the Spiderman movies. But anyway, :offtopic:

Yes, I do know Sony did every Spiderman movie so far. I just say with how Disney treated The Avengers and Iron Man 3 (have yet to see Thor The Dark World but it looks amazing and I've got friends who testify it is.) I'd much rather see what they could do with it. Not really that enthusiastic about the sequel to Amazing Spiderman. Isn't there two villains? Didn't we learn from Spiderman 3? That franchise doesn't do multiple villains well........
But I am very aware that Gwen is technically Peter's first girl so it was a good angle to go. But that means to follow the actual storyline they need to bring Green Goblin back (that storyline brings the focus to Mary Jane) and I don't think plugging Willem Defoe into this new franchise will fit nor do I think it'll happen.

Actually the buzz in the film is quite strong. The script, performances by Thompson and Hanks and the film itself are said to be almost locks for Oscar nominations.

You've pretty much said what I was saying all along. Disney made a film about purchasing the rights to a book. The only reason it might non-Disney fans is either because Tom Hanks fans will sit through any of his garbage, and Emma Thompson is getting noticed for playing a British woman. Major stretch there. Otherwise, does the common man really care about the story here? Of course, following this post we're bound to get people going "Oh my god, I love the trailer and I can't wait to see this movie, it's going to be awesome, blah blah blah". And who is this coming from? Hard core Disney fans who live on a forum.

I know it's incredible I sat through such "garbage" films like Philadelphia, Forrest Gump, Apollo 13, Saving Private Ryan, all three Toy Story's and Captain Phillips

The Green Mile, Castaway, A League of their Own, Big

I know it's incredible I sat through such "garbage" films like Philadelphia, Forrest Gump, Apollo 13, Saving Private Ryan, all three Toy Story's and Captain Phillips

The Green Mile, Castaway, A League of their Own, Big

I swear, and I'm not saying this to be shocking, when Tom Hanks died at the end of Philadelphia, I applauded in the theater.

On a joking side, I was disappointed to learn that it was only a movie and that Hanks was really still alive.

But I did clap.

Speaking as someone who didn't really care for Forrest Gump, Tom Hanks is the greatest actor working today. Walt Disney is a personal inspiration to me. I don't care what the movie is about. I'm going to go just to see Tom play Walt.

Speaking as someone who didn't really care for Forrest Gump, Tom Hanks is the greatest actor working today. Walt Disney is a personal inspiration to me. I don't care what the movie is about. I'm going to go just to see Tom play Walt.

Let me know what you think of his ridiculous southern accent. Maybe Hanks' research was flawed and he thought he came from Georgia or something.

I was listening to a few critics that have seen the film and they mentioned Hanks portrayal of Walt. They said why'll he didn't exactly look or sound like him, he felt like Walt and that is more important than doing just an impersonation because it felt like a real performance.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter