Can I wear sneakers in July?

We have traveled may times in July. I always pack a second pair of sneakers for each family member (many times we have been caught in downpours...lol and the sneakers can take a day to fully dry). If we are purchasing new sneakers for the trip, we break them in before we go. I also, in my park backpack, have a clean pair of socks in a ziploc, just in case I need them.

Another thing I pack & use each morning is Foot Glide (like body guild for chafing, but made for you feet). Sometimes my no-show socks might slip down a little, this helps prevent my sneakers rubbing on the back of my ankle.

I hate sandals and flip flops with the sort of irrational hatred that never burns out. Every time I wear them I burn my feet, even when I think I’m being super careful about sunscreen. Can I get away with wearing sneakers to DW in early July (6-11) or will it be unbearable with the heat?

I was thinking I’d pack flip flops in my park bag just in case of rain or water rides and just switch them out when necessary.
The first time I went to DW, I wore sandals and my arches were killing me by the end of the day. Wearing running shoes that have support will probably better help with keeping your feet from being sore.
But I also HATE wet socks and shoes. So, when it starts raining or I go on a water ride where I know my feet will get wet. I pull out my water shoes or sandals and wear them until it's not needed anymore.

I wear Asics at WDW in August. I have small feet so I wear kids' size 5, mesh-style running shoes. They actually stay really cool, and have some kind of air circulation in each step that makes them cool in the summer and too cold to wear in the winter! I can feel the puff of air with each step.

I recently sprung a few bucks for bombas merino wool ankle socks. They are SO comfortable! I will get another pair of Brooks walking shoes this summer for our trip. I've had a TKR so stable shoes are a must. I have lots of Clarks, Teva and Sketchers sandals and bring at least two pair but only for around the resort.

Last year my DIL walked 13 miles in "the wrong shoes" and she's a WDW veteran! Good luck and be comfortable!

I always wear sneakers at WDW because they provide me with more support. I have a couple pair of sneakers that are particularly good for summer weather because they have good sized vent holes along the sides and are made of a mesh material.

Always go for the most comfortable option you own. I happen to have some super comfortable close toed hiking shoes that are waterproof. That's my go to shoe for the parks any time of year. The brand they are is Oboz (love these - super comfy for me, but everyone is different.)

For all the comments on tennis shoes taking a long time to dry I read somewhere to put newspaper inside the shoes to help them dry quicker. I tried it with paper towels once and it worked. It might also work with a towel.

I wear Asics at WDW in August. I have small feet so I wear kids' size 5, mesh-style running shoes. They actually stay really cool, and have some kind of air circulation in each step that makes them cool in the summer and too cold to wear in the winter! I can feel the puff of air with each step.

I also wear ASICS. I would love to wear a kids size 5. I wear a kids size 2.5 to 3. I like the mesh across the toes.

I personally hate wearing sandals when I'm walking a long distance, so I always wear standard sneakers. I've been in August and never had an issue.
When I was in Vietnam I acquired a pair of sandals. One wide comfortable, ventilated band on the front and a very comfortable security strap just above the heal. The soles were made from the tread part of a rubber tire. They were the most comfortable pair of footwear that I ever owned. They lasted quite a while because, frankly, sandal wearing time in Vermont is quite limited. When they finally wore out I tried and tried to find the same type again but was never able to do so.

OK, so now back to the dilemma at hand. I don't understand the question. How can wearing sneakers in the hot weather be a problem? They are comfortable, they usually have a thick enough sole to prevent overheating from the ground temperature, are flexible and vented. In my mind that is the only thing to wear in the parks. Everything else would start to hurt before the end of the day.

I live in Florida and work outside, year round, in black leather shoes :) black socks too LOL. My feet do fine. Not wearing the workshoe clunkers to Disney next month-I'm wearing lightweight Scetchers.

Mildly damp shoes don't bother me-it's a regular occurence for me here in summer-but bringing a spare pair of shoes is not a bad idea.

Absolutely....unless it's a quick stop (maybe before or after a mid day break), wear your sneakers. Wear non cotton socks, non cotton shorts, drink plenty of water, etc. to stay cool. IMO, cooling fans are more trouble than they are worth.

I recommend that you wear light weight tennis shoes/athletic shoes. I find the Sketchers light weight shoes with the goga mat for soles to be very comfortable in the heat with lots of walking. Good luck and happy hunting for your shoes.

I used to wear nothing but sneakers. I have the type that are about 80% mesh so they dry ok. But in recent years, I'm a sandal convert. I have a pair of Keen walking sandals that can get wet, dry rather quickly and are super comfy. Usually I make sure to wear the sandals on "water ride" days!

I take a couple of pairs of lightweight, quick drying runners. NOBULL mesh are knit runners are crazy light, dry fast, and are comfortable for putting in miles at the parks. Hey Dudes are something to look at also. They have more of a casual shoe look, but are really comfortable. Quality socks should not be overlooked. Take a pair or two with you to the park or change out if you go back to your room mid day. Clean, dry socks can be very refreshing and give you that second wind later in the day.

I would not wear flip flops because I've seen so many people get stepped on when someone backs up, or changes course suddenly. I always wear sneakers with good arch support, and lately, I wear a good pair of "water shoes". They look like sneakers, but are designed to work in water and dry quickly. Lands End has some cute ones.

We bring a pair of portable electric shoe dryer inserts and use those overnight if sneakers get wet during the day. Mesh tennis shoes have always dried overnight using those. I can't remember where we bought them, but you should be able to find some online if interested. They are very small and lightweight and easily fit into our carry-on luggage.

I always wear sneakers at Disney, and good cotton socks. I usually bring 4-5 pairs and alternate every day. We always take afternoon breaks back at the resort, and sometimes I'll even change them halfway through the day.

I hate sandals and flip flops with the sort of irrational hatred that never burns out. Every time I wear them I burn my feet, even when I think I’m being super careful about sunscreen. Can I get away with wearing sneakers to DW in early July (6-11) or will it be unbearable with the heat?

I was thinking I’d pack flip flops in my park bag just in case of rain or water rides and just switch them out when necessary.
Have had three foot surgeries and a broken ankle. Back issues with standing. Must wear good shoes although I LOVE sandals even with the heat. So hope fastpasses return for those of us that have trouble standing for long periods.

I only wear sneakers/athletic shoes, usually now it's water proof shoes with my current favorites being Vessi & Merrells. My newest ones are Merrells with gortex and held up to a downpour at MK (like, radar was RED and we were stuck in the middle with nowhere to go). I've worn them on severel trips, both in cool and hot temps, and my feet always feel good. Just whatever you wear make sure you break them in for a few weeks first, any shoe will hurt if you don't. I personally don't do the flip flops either because when my feet get wet they just slide right out, and I'm always having people step on the back of them while walking around (either my own kids or other folks in the park) and have broken several pairs that way. Put that with sunburn and lack of arch support and it's a no go for me.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter