Can I use my Fire Stick in my room

teller80

DIS Veteran
I'm staying at POP. Can I bring my Fire Stick and plug it into the TV? If I remember correctly, the WiFi wasn't the best, but if I get lucky with that then can I use it?

I’ve used a Roku at OKW and WL on a few different trips with zero issues. Fire stick should be fine as long as the WiFi is good enough to support it.

We used our Firestick at POR this year no problem. Just don't forget it when you leave like we did!

That is something I'd totally do! Thanks for the heads up. Did you ask if they'd send it back to you?

Trouble is that people streaming TV quickly deteriorate speed for anyone else. On our last stay there were time when WiFi was far too slow to be useful for anything. I had to respond to emails for work before heading to the parks or before bed and found it impossible. Other times was fine. I can only assume it was due to number of people streaming. I never do so on hotel WiFi myself out of courtesy to others but thats just me!

We used our Firestick at POR this year no problem. Just don't forget it when you leave like we did!

Do not put the remote in your bag without the stick. That's my rule. 50+ business trips and counting on one stick, never forgotten!

Trouble is that people streaming TV quickly deteriorate speed for anyone else.

Not true. Most of the time it's a config or signal problem. It only takes a couple meg to sustain a 1080p stream. :)

We have streamed at Pop (with Apple TV as well as through a tablet hooked up with an HDMI adapter).

Never had an issue.

I’ve also converted many movies onto a thumb drive. That works well too.

We stay for 2 weeks at a time and resort down time is big with us.

Do not put the remote in your bag without the stick. That's my rule. 50+ business trips and counting on one stick, never forgotten!

Not true. Most of the time it's a config or signal problem. It only takes a couple meg to sustain a 1080p stream. :)

It is true! When you have dozens upon dozens of people all streaming movies the bandwidth of most resorts is insufficient to handle. Network speed is slowed to a crawl. I noticed speed degrade repeatedly late nights and early mornings with decent speed midday. That would follow patterns of when more people are in their rooms using the internet. This isn't just an issue with Disney. Its nearly all hotels. They are not setup to supply the bandwidth needed for large numbers of people to stream. High end resorts such as Hilton will charge extra $'s for guaranteed high speed.

I did a SpeedTest when we were at Pop last month... the WiFi was so fast I was curious exactly how fast it was. Answer? 348mbps Down, 421mbps Up. I'm pretty sure the bandwith there is sufficient!

'50s, Building 2.

I did a SpeedTest when we were at Pop last month... the WiFi was so fast I was curious exactly how fast it was. Answer? 348mbps Down, 421mbps Up. I'm pretty sure the bandwith there is sufficient!

'50s, Building 2.

WDW is in the process of upgrading their backhaul networks property wide. Pop happens to be the 1st resort to have the work completed.

'50s, Building 2.

I did the same. Got very high readings some parts of the day, down to 0.1mbps or worse other times. When you have a hotel that has a few 1000 rooms its easy to have dozens upon dozens of people streaming. Pops latest updates may have helped the issue. All Star Sports isn't there yet.

We streamed on our iPads (4 total) and had no problems so I am so sure a fire stick would work fine, we were staying at POP as well, have fun

Leave a reminder on your phone to get it for the night before &/or day of departure.

Anyone ever try a chromecast? I know mine usually doesn't work on Hotel Style WiFi where you have to sign in through a webpage to confirm access. Never tried at Disney though as we stayed offsite this time

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter