• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Can I use ME to pick up unaccompanied minors at the airport mid-trip?

ZJ5/9D47

Mouseketeer
I’m looking into the feasibility of having my 7 and 9 year old niece and nephew fly into MCO to join my family mid-trip and then they fly home too.

Does anyone have experience with this type of arrangement? They qualify for the ME but likely can’t ride alone and then I would need to travel to and from the airport without them for half the journey.

Does the ME have an age limit? I’m fairly confident the 9 year old could even get herself from the plane to the ME to our resort although I’d much prefer to meet them at the gate.

Frankly I can’t believe an airline would let them off the plane without an adult waiting at the gate. Or let them On without an adult accompaning them to gate. I Don’t care how mature they are, kids that age should not be left to navigate a big airport on their own. to get a gate pass, bring a copy of their itinerary to the check in desk and ask for a gate pass to get you through security to pick them up at gate. and when they leave, do the same thing In reverse. I have an adult disabled daughter. I have done this many times but knowing someone would be on the other end. she is very airport savvy but I wouldn’t let her do it alone. Too many variables and crazy people out there.

You will have to pick them up at the gate.

You are only allowed one round-trip ride on DME. So yes, you can ride to the airport and pick them up and then ride back with them, but that would be your one round-trip

Unaccompanied minor as others stated do you think an airline would just let them off the plane and say you’re on your own! They wouldn’t put them on ME either.
This is an adult needs to be the adult and take time from Disney and go meet these children and go pick them up. Can’t imagine their parents would even consider letting it be done!

Not only does dme have a minimum age (16 iirc?) but as pp's have mentioned you will have to meet them at the gate when they deplane, show ID and sign for them!

That said - I was able to take DME to and from the airport during my stay to meet my 85yo MIL even though we were also using it for our arrival and departure. This was definitely an exception and I was prepared to use a town car or ride share but I inquired at the resort a couple days before my MIL arrived and was given vouchers for my mil and I. I was able to meet her at baggage claim help her with bags and ride DME with her. Honestly though it took a really long time and in the future I would probably ride share to the airport and maybe DME back - especially since she really enjoyed the bus ride :)

In your situation since DME won't allow them to ride alone I would check with the resort after your arrival to see if you can use DME or not. I would budget and plan for a town car/ride share just in case.

I’m looking into the feasibility of having my 7 and 9 year old niece and nephew fly into MCO to join my family mid-trip and then they fly home too.

Does anyone have experience with this type of arrangement? They qualify for the ME but likely can’t ride alone and then I would need to travel to and from the airport without them for half the journey.

Does the ME have an age limit? I’m fairly confident the 9 year old could even get herself from the plane to the ME to our resort although I’d much prefer to meet them at the gate.
That's good because you HAVE to meet them at the gate. With your ID. And their parents will have to have you down as the person to pick them up. And it costs $150 on legacy airlines, $50 on Southwest. Each kid. Each way. And they can't fly on Legacy if it isn't a straight through fight or change in a hub. There are lots of rules for UA. Read up on them. ME is the least of your worries

I believe the minimum age to ride DME is 12, but as others have mentioned, if flying as unaccompanied minors, an adult will need to meet them, in consultation with the airline on which they are traveling.

Even if you weren't required to meet their plane, you should meet it anyway. Navigating MCO can be a bit confusing, and there are way too many things that could happen (flight delay, etc.).

I believe the minimum age to ride DME is 12, but as others have mentioned, if flying as unaccompanied minors, an adult will need to meet them, in consultation with the airline on which they are traveling.

Even if you weren't required to meet their plane, you should meet it anyway. Navigating MCO can be a bit confusing, and there are way too many things that could happen (flight delay, etc.).
Not to mention crimes that could happen. I am not generally a worry wart about kidnapping or letting my children use a restroom by themselves, but airports are known for having things like human trafficking, thefts, and assaults in restrooms. I would not let children that young out of my sight at an airport.
OP is talking about children who aren't even allowed to enter a theme park alone.

You will have to pick them up at the gate.

You are only allowed one round-trip ride on DME. So yes, you can ride to the airport and pick them up and then ride back with them, but that would be your one round-trip

I actually rode with my DD who was 14 at the time, back to the airport with her because she left a couple days early to attend a dance comp. I accompanied her on the DME and then took it back to my resort and then a few days later went back on the DME with the rest of the family. I jus called while I was there to arrange this.

There's no way I'd allow a 7 or 9 year old to get off the plane at MCO and travel on the DME by themselves…even if it was allowed, which I don't think it would be.

When my DD14 did this, I got a gate pass and waited at the gate with her and actually waited until the place took off. Her dad met her at the gate on the other side.

More important than any gate pass, though, is calling DME directly and explaining what gou want to do, and finding out IF they will accommodate you, and how.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter