"Can I ride on your scooter with you, Grandma?"

Simba's Mom

<font color=green>everything went to "H*** in a ha
I know the answer to this is "No" and I have no problem, but I'm so afraid my grandchildren will. Hopefully, they'll just accept a "No" but if they push it, any tips on how I can gently explain why they can't ride with m?. This is my first ECV trip where the DGDs (5yo and 7 yo) will be with me, and I'm so afraid of how to tell them. Or do you think I'll get lucky and they won't even ask?

Just tell them that it is for their safety and that it is against the rules. Usually if you are renting the ECV rental contract also says it is not allowed so it is not just a Disney policy.

If they ask and see other kids doing it and complain I would just simply remind them that you already told them no and that in your household you follow the rules even if others are breaking them.

I predict it will come up often, but "No, it's grandma's " Or even pointing out there is only 1 seat could help.

Be prepared for them to see other kids riding - and CMs doing little or nothing. Last trip we actually saw a grandma and grandpa each with a kid in their lap, go through security and to the entrance gates without a CM saying more than "have a magical day!" to them.

I predict it will come up often, but "No, it's grandma's " Or even pointing out there is only 1 seat could help.

Be prepared for them to see other kids riding - and CMs doing little or nothing. Last trip we actually saw a grandma and grandpa each with a kid in their lap, go through security and to the entrance gates without a CM saying more than "have a magical day!" to them.

To give you a little inside as to why CMs do nothing due to many guests complaining at guest relations as well as assaulting both verbally and physically CMs over correcting the behavior most trainers and managers now tell CMs to only say something if it is a Disney rented ECV. Outside of that people believe it is their property and their kids/grandkids so they should get to do what they want against the posted rules or not.

Before they even ask, go over some "safety" tips with the kids. I did that with my cousin's kids when my sister had her EVC with us at WDW in July. I let them know that they needed to be careful about walking in front of my sister and then stopping as she could not stop quickly. I also told them that she was "driving" it so she could keep up with everyone. This put them in the mind frame of it as a vehicle instead of a toy. It worked pretty well and they did not even try to sit or play with it when my sister was off the EVC or when we were in the room.

O/t but I was running a local errand last week and saw a grandma let her granddaughter ride on her lap while driving a ecv I held my breath knowing there was nothing I could do and prayed for the girls safety

I would tell them Disney dose not allow it and if they ask again ( or if you think they need it) tell them one of the resin is that people do not watch out where they are going or just people going in all direction and you need to be very awear of your surroundings in case you need to stop or move fast. and that if you hit someone then you would feel really bad ( even if it was not your fault) and then ask them if they could help you watch out for people going in front of you

At that age, chances are they have been students at school.

Everyone has rules. One of the rules when using a scooter, is one person per scooter.

Years ago, we owned a home with a very long, nicely blacktopped driveway. The rule was, if there are wheels under your butt, there is a helmet on your head. And it didn't matter if your mom made you wear one or not. My driveway my rules. Period.

At Disney, it is Disney rules.

I know the answer to this is "No" and I have no problem, but I'm so afraid my grandchildren will. Hopefully, they'll just accept a "No" but if they push it, any tips on how I can gently explain why they can't ride with m?. This is my first ECV trip where the DGDs (5yo and 7 yo) will be with me, and I'm so afraid of how to tell them. Or do you think I'll get lucky and they won't even ask?

Unfortunately there will be idiots who ride with a kid on the lap, or even have the kid steering! It's going to be hard for the kids to understand that it's not safe. They expect adults to make safe decisions, especially when kids are involved. Are there any situations you could reflect on where someone made a poor choice and it turned around and bit them in the butt?

Last edited:
If you let the kids sit on the ECV while it's stationary, remember to check the speed control before you start riding it! My dad used an ECV at Disneyland a few times and my boys would sit on it while grandpa was in the restroom. They must have played with the controls one time because when my dad started moving forward, it practically jumped to warp speed! After that, he always checked the speed dial before moving. The boys knew it was against the rules for them to ride on the ECV with grandpa. On a later trip when older DS was 16, my dad let him ride it a few times if he felt like walking. Otherwise, grandpa rode and everyone else walked.

My motto is: One butt per seat! ;)

But seriously - @redberyl's answer is the one. And, if need be, just remind the grand babies that your ECV is just a tool so you can go on vacation - and like a lot of other tools, only grownups can use them!

To give you a little inside as to why CMs do nothing due to many guests complaining at guest relations as well as assaulting both verbally and physically CMs over correcting the behavior most trainers and managers now tell CMs to only say something if it is a Disney rented ECV. Outside of that people believe it is their property and their kids/grandkids so they should get to do what they want against the posted rules or not.
On our trip last Fall, there were 2 preteen girls riding together on Grandma's while she was sitting at a table.
They were at our resort, so we saw them a lot. I did mention it to a CM because they almost ran us off the side walk several times. He told us that CMs had been instructed to let Security handle it because of the risk of either verbal or physical abuse.
He knew that Security had talked to the family several times, but they still kept doing it.

On our trip last Fall, there were 2 preteen girls riding together on Grandma's while she was sitting at a table.
They were at our resort, so we saw them a lot. I did mention it to a CM because they almost ran us off the side walk several times. He told us that CMs had been instructed to let Security handle it because of the risk of either verbal or physical abuse.
He knew that Security had talked to the family several times, but they still kept doing it.

If I had almost been run off a sidewalk by kids fooling around in an ECV, I'd get security to come and address the situation with them, with me present.

Yep it is a sad to me that Disney has to stop policing their own policy because they are protecting CMs. It was the same thing we were told about smokers. I had it happen to me to. Also got told I was unpartiotic because this dude claims he served after 9/11 and since he served our country he could do what he xxxx well pleased. Just radioed to management and security and let them take it from there. Guy gave everyone who served a bad name over being asked to move 100 feet down and away from a character meet and great. Of course I share the stories and some people believe that I as the CM must have been doing something wrong or been nasty in my tone or whatever to have people go off on that. I told them I don't know how "Oh I'm so sorry this is not a designated smoking section. The nearest one is (give directions). Please put out your cigarette until you get there. Thank you." is aggressive or has a tone.

Yep it is a sad to me that Disney has to stop policing their own policy because they are protecting CMs. It was the same thing we were told about smokers. I had it happen to me to. Also got told I was unpartiotic because this dude claims he served after 9/11 and since he served our country he could do what he xxxx well pleased. Just radioed to management and security and let them take it from there. Guy gave everyone who served a bad name over being asked to move 100 feet down and away from a character meet and great. Of course I share the stories and some people believe that I as the CM must have been doing something wrong or been nasty in my tone or whatever to have people go off on that. I told them I don't know how "Oh I'm so sorry this is not a designated smoking section. The nearest one is (give directions). Please put out your cigarette until you get there. Thank you." is aggressive or has a tone.

First did not know you are/were a cm super cool in my book and no I believe that guests can be jerks with out being provoked MOST not All come to Disney with a sens of entitlement

I don't remember which park I was in last March, but there was an obnoxious man in an ECV with oxygen on who was smoking while partially blocking entrance to the women's restroom. He was being a *&^& on so many levels.

How pervy to hang out so near the entrance to a women's restroom that women and children could not enter without at least touching his ECV and interacting with him - and inhaling his cigarette smoke. Plus smoking with oxygen is EXTREMELY dangerous. Although if he erupted into flames, I would have been happy to watch.

I reported this to a CM a few feet away who DID ABSOLUTELY NOTHING. I was not a happy camper, but my DH refused to let me go cut his oxygen line.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter