Can I get a name for the order?

I give our last name. That way it doesn’t matter whether DH, DS, or I pick it up.

(It’s not super common, but definitely very recognizable around here, so most people spell it correctly, too.)

However, there are some stores who still want your phone # when making an in-person purchase, no idea why.

I don’t usually give it to sign up for stuff, but some places around here (restaurants, mostly, but even one bank) have started asking for it for contact tracing. I did give my number for that.

The place we call the most when ordering food usually says 'this is for Bud, right?' when we place a cash order. That's my late uncle's name and we just have never bothered to correct it. Otherwise, since we pay with a debit card we give our real names.

There's a pub up the road where you place your hamburger order at a window off the kitchen and they ask for your name to call you when it's ready. Joe, I said.

I heard, "hey bud, your order is ready" and thought that dude named Bud was pretty lucky to have his order ready.

Yup, the stoner dude behind the window was actually calling me, I guess I was his new "bud" that day!

I usually give my first name or my maiden last name (which is much easier to pronounce/spell than my married last name).

I had a friend named Christopher who used to give the name "Larry" whenever he was asked. According to him, there are too many Christophers/Chrises. He hated to be called Chris, but even when he'd give "Christopher" people would take the liberty to shorten it to Chris. If they called out "Chris!" he never knew if they were talking to him or someone else. He said there were fewer Larrys, and nobody would shorten Larry further, so he gave Larry as his name.

Last edited:
I use my wife's maiden name as it's a hell of lot easier to spell than my family name.

Oregon....I am always looking for someone from Oregon here in Yuma....and the line is long....so you never know....and in December....I join the revolutions
MERRY CHRISTMAS

I use my husband's first name, as it's a one-syllable, 3 letter name. Mine can be misheard so I'm never 100% sure it's me being called.

On a funnier note, I was ordering at Starbucks in MK, and since I know lots of people give fun names, I gave the name my husband calls me "Pookie" because I figured it would be easier to hear/differentiate. Except the barista misunderstood, so instead I got my coffee, found my family and my dad asked "Why does your coffee cup say 'Bookie'?"

I use my real first name, since it's a word that everyone knows. DH usually uses one of our kids' names, since both his first name and our last name are hard for folks to pronounce.

My friend Bill always gives him name as Rudy. If someone calls out for "Bill" at least 3 other guys in the shop will think it's their order. Rudy not so much. :)

I give my first name (or sometimes my surname as it’s easy, but only if it’s something for the whole family I think). I had a friend named Juan (which is quite uncommon in Australia) who had this interaction:
Server: Can I get a name for that order?
Juan: Bob
Server: Was that Paul?
Juan: Uh, sure.
Server: Okay, Sean!

Guess I am boring! I usually just use my first name. It's a normal name, spelled normal and seldom wrong!

I give my first name and tell them “with a K” because I know it’ll be misspelled. A friend gives the name Ann because no one can spell or pronounce her name.

We use dh's name. There are too many names that rhyme with mine. We often weren't sure if they were calling me or one of the rhyming names. Hardly anything rhymes with his AND it's easy to spell!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter