Can I check my sister in?

amym2

DIS Veteran
Staying at AKV in Oct using our DVC points. Our family of 4 and my parents will be in a 2bdrm for a week. My sister and BIL arrive mid-way through our trip and will be staying in a studio (using our points). Would I be able to check them into the studio before they arrive since they're using my points, or will they need to check in when they arrive?

They should probably check-in themselves once they arrive so that the resort can make sure that their MagicBands are linked properly so they can enter their room.

No, you can't do that unless you are also on the same room reservation.

Ok, thanks for the info! This is our first trip with MBs, so I hadn't thought about that. I'll just have them check in when they arrive.

I would put my name on the reservation along with theirs and then check in early in the morning. You might have a better chance of having the room ready when they actually do show up. If there is a problem with the MB they can go to the desk at their convenience. You will receive a MB for that room too and can check if it works.

I was at VGF 3 weeks ago, they never scanned my magic band at check-in and it worked fine. My friends arrived later at different times and their bands worked with no problem, no trip to the front desk.

I would put my name on the reservation along with theirs and then check in early in the morning.

This will cause more harm than good. The current resort software won't allow one person to be checked in to two rooms at the same time. Even split stays are now a major issue as you have to get the first resort to do a hard checkout before you can check in to the second resort.

I was at VGF 3 weeks ago, they never scanned my magic band at check-in and it worked fine. My friends arrived later at different times and their bands worked with no problem, no trip to the front desk.

I checked into BWV three weeks ago and the CM scanned my MagicBand. It was one of my older MBs and he said it wasn't registered in their system, so he went back and scanned it. I also used other old MagicBands for room entry with no problem (he only scanned that one MB). This was the first time they've scanned one of my MBs upon arrival at a resort.

This will cause more harm than good. The current resort software won't allow one person to be checked in to two rooms at the same time. Even split stays are now a major issue as you have to get the first resort to do a hard checkout before you can check in to the second resort.

Hmm, well I guess it wouldn't work then since I'll have already been checked into another room for a few days. I have my sister and BIL on my DME, so it would be handy if there was a way for them to authorize me to check them in, but it doesn't sound like that's the case.

I requested the rooms be close together, so I wonder if I could inquire at the front desk that morning if the room has been assigned already. I remember reading recently that Disney stopped assigning rooms ahead of time. Anyone know how that works with DVC? It's not imperative that the rooms be close together (both the 2bdrm and studio are standard view), but it would be nice. My other request was close to the lobby, and that one is probably more important.

Hmm, well I guess it wouldn't work then since I'll have already been checked into another room for a few days. I have my sister and BIL on my DME, so it would be handy if there was a way for them to authorize me to check them in, but it doesn't sound like that's the case.
Last March (pre MagicBands), we had two Studios booked at AKV Jambo House. One was for us, the other for my partner's mother. We were able to check her into her room prior to her arriving from South Florida. Both reservations had a 'Travel With' noted on them.
I requested the rooms be close together, so I wonder if I could inquire at the front desk that morning if the room has been assigned already. I remember reading recently that Disney stopped assigning rooms ahead of time. Anyone know how that works with DVC? It's not imperative that the rooms be close together (both the 2bdrm and studio are standard view), but it would be nice. My other request was close to the lobby, and that one is probably more important.
AFAIK, rooms are still pre-assigned prior to arrival.

Staying at AKV in Oct using our DVC points. Our family of 4 and my parents will be in a 2bdrm for a week. My sister and BIL arrive mid-way through our trip and will be staying in a studio (using our points). Would I be able to check them into the studio before they arrive since they're using my points, or will they need to check in when they arrive?
I'd put my name on the reservation if there's room but not as the lead person. The alternative is to communicate with MS and tell them you want to check the room in, they have ways to make it workable. You will have to put your CC down if one is to be used else they'd have to go back later to add their own CC.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter