• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Can i bring "outside" food into a restaurant?

HA_Mom

Earning My Ears
I've been afraid to ask this question since so many people have been getting flamed for having "spoiled" kids on other threads but here goes...

My DS(5) has PDD-NOS, acid reflux and enlarged adenoids/tonsils. Needless to say mealtimes are "interesting". My concern is that he simply will not eat what's available on the children's menu (and most of the adult menus for that matter). We are working on the issue but I don't think it will be resolved by the time we leave (November 17th). Will there be a problem if I bring "outside" food into the restaurant for him?

Thanks for any advice.

If you are eating at counter service restaurants, chances are no one will even notice as long as the rest of the family is eating food from the restaurant.

For the sit-down restaurants, you might be surprised how accomidating they can be. No one in our family has any special needs that we have contacted the restaurant managment about, but other posters have and have had pretty good luck in getting things made that they/their child can eat, even if it is not on the menu. The phone numbers are:
MK (407)824-5967
Epcot (407)560-7483
Studio (407)560-1347
AK (407)938-2203

If you cna't get what you need, they should have no problem with you bringing food in (provided, like mentioned before, that the rest of you are ordering off the menu). Do be prepared that you may be asked to pay for your child for character meals or for buffets if he eats a small amount from the buffet.

Echoing what Sue said - I would call and talk to them about what your child will actually eat and see if they can provide it at the sit-down restaurants where you have reservations. If not, then discuss the alternatives with them. Brenda Bennett (I think you can reach her at the Magic Kingdom number given) is especially helpful and the person I'd try to talk to if possible.

We have been able to request specific items for our meals for our younger son. The things we request are perhaps not complex (hot dog, sliced tomatoes, peas, black olives, etc.) but often not found directly on the menu or at the buffet. The restaurant would get items in advance and have them ready for us. The chef usually prepared special dishes as well that were peanut-free and diabetic friendly for him (desserts, etc).

I've had no trouble getting what I asked for at the restaurants if I did so in advance. You have a week still before your trip which is plenty of time!

Thank you very much for the information.
I've already paid for him for lunch at CRT (have a little "princess" who cannot wait to eat in the castle) and planned on paying for him for dinner at liberty
tree tavern (Thanksgiving) but wanted to make sure that no one would have a problem with me bringing additional food in with me (i.e. yogurts, juice, a CS meal, etc.). I think I may try to see if he can get a CS type meal in Liberty tree. Worth a shot but since it is Thanksgiving they may be too busy to make many accomodations. If not I'll just ask and make sure I can bring one in for him.

If I feed him before our meal, I think he would feel left out and want to know where HIS food is. :guilty: I know this means that I'll be paying for two meals for him at least twice during our visit but the alternative is to do all CS or off-site since his is still limited in his food preferences.

Thanks again.

Our DD7 had a bunch of allergies as a small child. (She's outgrown most, but our DD2 has even more and they are more severe) Anyway, we always pack a baggie of Cheerios and a lunch size fruit bowl in our bag so that she could have these if nothing else worked. We do this everywhere- not just Disney- and we've never had a problem. For DD2 we just bring everything she needs as no one has been able to accomodate her as her choices are extremely limited (Minute rice, 93% or better ground beef, formula (neocate), baby rice cereal, 2 baby fruits, and a cheerio-like cereal)

I haven't had to request special meals myself but have definately read many other posts of parents who have. I say give it a shot! I also really think that if you asked upon arrival at the restaurant and explained the situation, they would be fine with you bringing in his own food.

Btw, I don't think you are spoiling your child! ;)
You sound like a great Mom who is considerate of others as well as your child!!

We did it at counter service - no problems! (Food allergic dd)

If there is a counter service meal that he likes and will eat (in the MK) then arrange for them to provide that meal. From what I can tell they seem to be able to get food quickly from other restaurants (underground tunnels?).

I realized this one time when we were at Biergarten and although they have about a million types of hot dog like things he wouldn't touch any of it and was begging for a real hot dog (he was a bit younger then too - a little over 3 years old). The chef overheard and got him a hot dog within minutes from that America counter service place which is close by. I just remember him mentioning he'd having someone run a hot dog over. William was so very happy with that silly hot dog and it saved our dinner (and after that I prearranged hot dogs).

At the counter service restaurant at Port Orleans the chef let us put together our own "kids meal" since part of it was a "may contains" for peanuts (he is allergic to peanuts) - and also he couldn't have the dessert with it - we were able to get fruit, etc. They are very, very accomodating.

Try to arrange the meal at your sit-down places so you won't have to pay twice for the meal and you'll get his food served with the rest. Since my son is diabetic we also often carry his favorite drinks (like the sugar-free Koolaid packs) and yogurt that he likes, etc. We have no problem bringing these things into a restaurant.

When looking at the menu, consider whether there's a meal on there that you can "modify" that your child would eat. For example, my DS8 loves grilled cheese but not hamburger meat. So, if there's no grilled cheese on the menu, I frequently order him a cheeseburger with no meat so he gets just the bun and cheese, plus the fries or whatever comes with it. I haven't found a restaurant yet that wouldn't do this. Also, DS11 has Asperger's and has major issues with food textures. I will frequently order him a plain hamburger with the meat separate on the side. Then I pull some peanut butter out of my purse and make him a sandwich with the bun, plus he gets the fries and drink. DH loves cheeseburgers and will sometimes use the extra meat to make himself a double!

So just consider if there are parts of a meal that your child will eat and get creative in the way you order and modify it. You can still bring in your own food but you may be able to use something the restaurant can provide also. :)

Thanks again for the suggestions.

I'm going to call tomorrow morning when I will be able to have a quiet conversation while the kids are in pre-K/K and ask about my options. My kids seem to have "radar" for when I'm on an important phone call. ;)

HA_Mom said:
I think I may try to see if he can get a CS type meal in Liberty tree. Worth a shot but since it is Thanksgiving they may be too busy to make many accomodations. If not I'll just ask and make sure I can bring one in for him.

I have a very picky son and our server at LTT offered to bring fries out for him when she noticed that he wasn't eating anything. Don't be scared to ask your server if you can get fries, most of them are more than willing to go that extra mile.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter