• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Can I ask for some help?

*Robin*

bibbity bobbity boo!
Hi everyone, I just made the first steps to planning a trip next year with a dear friend to go to the world.

I'm thrilled and excited, mostly because it's their first trip. Now, I'm sure she'll be doing her own checking, but I'd like to be as helpful and prepared as possible. She has 2 children with challenges. One has Cerebral Palsy and another is blind.

I adore these kids and would never want anything bad to come of this...though I know I can't shield them from everything, I want this to be wonderful!

Can you guys give me a starting point? What should I overplan, and what should I not worry about?

I appreciate this so much...and I plan to check this board much more in the coming year...the dis family is amazing, and I want to thank you in advance! :D

Have a great day all! :)

I'm glad you came to visit and we will help you all we can.
It would be helpful to have a little more information:
How old are the children?
Does the child who is blind have any other challenges?
Does the child who has CP use a wheelchair? Can he/she walk at all?
Does the child with CP have any other challenges?

Sorry Sue, I should have been more specific... :D

Ok, Becca is blind, although they are finding she may have low vision. She is 3. She was born premature and is not developing as rapidly as she should, so she is weak. She will probably be in a stroller all the time.

John has cp and uses a walker, he doesn't have any other challenges. He's 5 and wants desperately to walk, but the CP is working against him. He'll probably be in a wheelchair most of the time.

Both are so loveable and determined... :)

Thank you so much! :D

Welcome to the disABILITIES Board. There is some information for you in our FAQ, just click on the link in my signature below. Some of the links are now broken because of the disappearance of the old boards.. feel free to ask questions!

They will need a GAC to show that they need the stroller as a wheelchair. It is wonderful that the family will have some help!!!! What a great friend you are!

It sounds like you are going with her? IF so - How nice that you are going on a trip with your friend and her kids!!! She will need the help!

If not, or if so, this board, and Teri's FAQ postings will be so helpful.

My DS has CP, and the most important thing we focus on is to not let him get too hot, and to be sure to take many breaks - either at first aid at the park, or by going back to the resort for swimming.

The kids will have a blast, and the special moments that come their way will be unforgetable... Remember, feel free to ask any questions - cuz there are sooo many things to worry about.... but when you get there it will seem so much easier than you thought it would be!

OH - and take lots of pictures!!

Sue

There are a couple of recent posts about limited vision. You can request a GAC that allows you to sit in the front row. Unfortunately, in some shows, wheelchairs are in the back row. So the 2 kids may end up in different areas in some shows because of their needs. Let us know what shows they are interested in and we can let you know where wheelchair users sit for that ride.
For the little boy, he can bring his walker, but also a wheelchair or stroller. That way, he won't get stiff from sitting all day and won't get tired from walking too much. If he can walk a little, that makes it a lot easier to get in rides.
Come back after you reada teri's FAQs and ask more questions.

WELCOME!!! I cant tell you how pleased I am to see you here...

I know that all rest of our happy lil DISers have already chimed in but I just wanted you to know you will get all the help you need...as long as there are fingers left to type we'll all be here for ya! :)

Hey that makes me think of a question... Are you staing in a resort on WDW prop or off? and where? or are you not that far in the planning stages yet? :)

again WELCOME!! :)

This is exactly why I came to the dis for help...what a great bunch you guys are!!

Ok...I knew nothing about the GAC, so now I've already learned something!
Our family does plan to go with them, and as far as where we'll stay, I'm open for suggestion! Money is somewhat of a factor here, and while I love the onsite hotels, and would love to do it, there was just a post from Pete about some new villas in Kissimmee that could hold 2 families. So, I'm considering that as well. (But I'd also like to skip back to the pool whenever necessary too...so, I'm struggling with that. Great reasoning Sue!)

Teri, I looked at the FAQ, THANK YOU! I wish the link to staring was still there, that's my biggest fear, is making John self-conscious. This should be a trip for a lifetime, not a nightmare!:bounce: darnit! (hehe)

Both Sues, thank you! I hadn't even thought of using both the chair and the walker, but it makes sense. I think if we go to many shows, we'll let him use the walker, so we can all be together. Good point Sue!

Alright, I know theres more, but my brain is jumping to 50 things right now. I'm going to go through all the old posts here and see what I can learn. Thank you guys so much!!! If you can think of anything I absolutely have to do before hand, or plan much in advance, please let me know, I would appreciate it so much!

And again Hugs to you all for the wonderful warm welcome...have I said thank you yet??? ;)

well it sounds lie the condo thing just might work out for ya! :)

I was just going to suggest for MANY reasons (money ,access and many others) that you consider the AS resorts at WDW, There is AllStart Movies,Music and sport...and by the time you get down there (I dont recall your dates right now) maybe the Pop Culture will be open as well (there are the cheap end of the Disney spectrum) they are a pretty good buy if ya ask me

I also like Fort WIldreness...

What I DIDNT like was Contemporary and DixieLandings *shudders*

But we can all cross that bridge with you when your ready to get to that stage in your plans :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter