• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Can hot or cold packs be taken through Security?

The only things that you are not allowed to bring into Disney are weapons and glass bottles...( well a few more things also , but don't have the exact list) so yes you can bring cold packs into Disneyland.. I do this every trip we take... as we take our own food into the park.. :)

Last edited:
As was already mentioned, you will have no problem bringing hot packs into the Disney parks. This is the list of items not to bring for WDW:
https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/faq/parks/restricted-personal-items/

Also, if you are in the park and need either a hot or cold pack, you can go to First Aid for assistance.

Security at the airport is a different situation and you probably will not be able to bring one thru. You might find that an old fashioned hot water bottle works well.
http://www.amazon.com/b?node=3763901
You could bring it thru security empty, then get warm water from the flight attendant to fill it if you need it on the plane.

she could pack those instant hot packs in her checked luggage, but there is liquid in them, so they could not go thru airport security.
ah. ok. did they
she could pack those instant hot packs in her checked luggage, but there is liquid in them, so they could not go thru airport security.

Did the TSA change regs again??? I read that you could take the cold ones as long as they were frozen solid.. anyway.. what about those Hotties? they are granules.. I get them from Costco but you can get them from any hardware or outdoor store.. hmmm wondering what else she could use.....

ah. ok. did they

Did the TSA change regs again??? I read that you could take the cold ones as long as they were frozen solid.. anyway.. what about those Hotties? they are granules.. I get them from Costco but you can get them from any hardware or outdoor store.. hmmm wondering what else she could use.....
Cold ones as long as they are frozen, but the hot ones I've had did have granules, but also some liquid in 2 compartments that mix when you activate it.

OP - have you/your daughter tried the ThermaCare heat wraps? DH uses them occasionally for his back and shoulders, but I believe they also come in a knee style. As far as I can tell you should be able to bring (or even wear) one for use on the plane, and pack your hot packs in checked luggage. We haven't tried to bring one through TSA, but it seems like it should be acceptable.

Enjoy your vacation!

I have brought multiple Thermacare brand heat wraps through both Canadian and USA airport security without difficulty on multiple occasions in carry-on luggage; they never even asked to look at them.

The TSA's "can I take it" website even has a specific entry for Thermacare: http://apps.tsa.dhs.gov/mytsa/cib_results.aspx?search=heat wrap (Thermacare) :

You may transport this item in carry-on baggage or in checked baggage. For items you wish to carry-on, you should check with the airline to ensure that the item will fit in the overhead bin or underneath the seat of the airplane.

Thermacare are like large versions of those hot pad things one might use in mittens; they are activated by air when the package is opened and contain dry material that undergoes a chemical reaction that releases heat. They come in multiple sizes, from large ones for the back/shoulders, to knees, to neck; there is even one intended for dealing with menstrual pain. The differences are the size and shape.

On our last trip to Disney, I ordered some from Drugstore.com and had them delivered to our resort; arriving the day before we did (I also ordered some other things from drugstore.com). That way I did not need to carry as many with me in my luggage; extras I just brought home with us.

SW

I have carried them through security in at least a dozen airports with zero issues, but it maybe because I have a ton of meds, so they don't consider it an unusual item combined with all the other stuff? Not sure, I would carry it on, but throw a back up in checked luggage.

On the planes I've been able to take the small mini hot packs the ones that are liquid, then turn solid when you press the disc inside, it's because it's under the so many ml that they use, I did have to keep the box though that showed how much liquid was in the pack.

What about using cold weather hand/foot warmers as a hot pack? Like the things you would put in gloves or boots. I don't believe those have liquid inside, and they last for hours...they also.come as "body warmers" which should be large enough for a knee.

What about using cold weather hand/foot warmers as a hot pack? Like the things you would put in gloves or boots. I don't believe those have liquid inside, and they last for hours...they also.come as "body warmers" which should be large enough for a knee.
You would need to look at the individual styles. Some have just kind of pellets and some have liquid.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter