• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Can GAC be used with Dumbo and other kid rides?

Belinda

Earning My Ears
Hi,

My family has been going to WDW for years. This will be our first visit since my 5yo was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes. When we first planned this trip back in January, I didn’t take a lot of things into consideration for her illness. I didn’t realize that heat affected her blood sugar and absorption of insulin. The insulin easily spoils, especially in pump tubing. How sensitive she is to the sun. How quickly the heat will drain her and lower her blood sugar. The list goes on.

I realize I can get a GAC to allow her to stay in a stroller longer. But what about lines like Dumbo…her favorite ride. Does the GAC have any provisions for those types of rides? I know the line is shaded…but still very hot. I don’t think the queue would accommodate a stroller.
:confused3
I don’t know what to do. I can’t image telling Hannah no to Dumbo.

This line will be hot no matter what...please, consider bringing an ice pack (to cool forehead + back of neck) and a fan+mister. There really isn't anything a GAC can do about the temperature, but the Dumbo line is shaded with a roof, so that would be the best place for her to be. And if you hit Dumbo very first thing in the morning, there is hardly a wait. We did that over Easter. Mainly, the kiddy rides don't have much accomodation needed...you can, of course, keep the stroller as WC if needed. That might be even hotter, though.

i've been diabetic since i was 9 (23 now) and on an insulin pump since i was 18. Insulin can spoil, yes. But i find that i don't really need to worry about the insulin (humalog) in my insulin pump spoiling for the three or so days its in there. Its not an answer to your GAC question but it may ease your mind a little bit about the trip.

I sent you a PM - we were just there in May with our 3.5 yr old son who is type 1 and on a pump. If you want to email or PM me back I'd be happy to share our experiences and what helped us out.

You are right to be concerned (as I said in my PM) about the insulin the tubing. For older children/adults who use more insulin it can be kept cooler in their pumps by using something like a pump frio pack or changing the insulin out more often in the reservoir. (W wears his pump in an undershirt on his back so the frio pack isn't so good for that). However for a little kid - William's general TDD is only about 13 units a day - his insulin stays in the tubing for a long time and can't be kept cool there.

When are you going to WDW? Did you know there is a Children With Diabetes conference there in July? http://www.childrenwithdiabetes.com/activities/orlando2005/
It isn't too late to register if you're interested :goodvibes

I think you can use the HP entrance at Dumbo if you are using your stoller as a wheelcair. This doesn't get you right on but does cut the wait a bit.

To be honest with you, pump users run around down here in Florida with no problem year round. I carry my insulin in my purse most of the time and don't have a problem that way either. I do keep extra refrigerated and take twice the amount needed even though I can get it in Orlando without a script. (depends on what you use)
It is not the insulin going bad so much as the heat and extra activity that drops my sugar levels. Test test test and add the extra carbs as needed.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter