Can fully vaccinated avoid testing?

3kidz4dis

DIS Veteran
My apologies if this has been asked..we are a fully vaccinated family and our sole purpose in doing so is avoid testing before /during our vacations. Am I correct in what I am seeing that Hawaii still requires a test? We would be traveling in June. Thanks!

Correct that Hawaii still requires a test, although the word is that a plan is in place that may waive the requirement for the fully vaccinated. If you are travelling in June, I would still hold out hope that the plan may be in place by the time you travel. We leave in 3 weeks, so unfortunately we will be scheduling our Covid test...

Saw this in the news a couple of days ago. It looks like there's plans in the works to allow vaccinated travelers to bypass quarantine / Pre-Testing Procedures, but this will need to be signed off by the H.E.M.A (Hawaii Emergency Management Authority). No idea on how long it will take to get this approval. We leave in just over 3 weeks. Certainly not holding my breath to see this in place before then.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/trav...eals-plans-covid-vaccine-passport/7185903002/

As of now, no, everyone needs a test. This may change in the future, but there is no set date.

It seems they intend to have it in place by summer - this is from The Hill:

Hawaii Gov. David Ige (D) on Friday approved a "vaccine passport" program for inter-island travel that could begin as early as May and expand to out-of-state travel by the summer, Forbes reports.

The plan has been to try the “passport” with locals who are island hopping. Then move to mainlanders visiting. I wouldn’t count on it being your get-out-of-testing card. I would hope your sole purpose for getting vaccinated was to do your part to end the pandemic and not just make travel easier. 🤦‍♀️

The plan has been to try the “passport” with locals who are island hopping. Then move to mainlanders visiting. I wouldn’t count on it being your get-out-of-testing card. I would hope your sole purpose for getting vaccinated was to do your part to end the pandemic and not just make travel easier. 🤦‍♀️
To each their own. Why does it matter the reasoning, if the end result is the same?

Seriously? Because it’s incredibly selfish to state the sole reason is to make traveling more convenient. No consideration but self-serving.

Again, why does it matter? I'd wager most people who are vaccinating aren't doing so to protect random strangers. They are doing it because they think it will protect themselves or their family members....both of which are also self-serving reasons to vaccinate.

Again, why does it matter? I'd wager most people who are vaccinating aren't doing so to protect random strangers. They are doing it because they think it will protect themselves or their family members....both of which are also self-serving reasons to vaccinate.

I think you'd be surprised... most of my colleagues and friends have been vaccinated to stop the spread and get things open again. We're all in our 30s still and many have kids who won't get to be vaccinated for a long time so they won't be "safe" afterwards. Our parents already got theirs (my state went by age after offering it to healthcare workers first in the beginning) so really there is no "need" for us all to be vaccinated. Still did it.

That said, if Hawaii decides the test isn't necessary if you've been vaccinated I will be pulling a "Lilu Dallas multipass" with my vaccination card as I walk on by! :)

I think you'd be surprised... most of my colleagues and friends have been vaccinated to stop the spread and get things open again. We're all in our 30s still and many have kids who won't get to be vaccinated for a long time so they won't be "safe" afterwards. Our parents already got theirs (my state went by age after offering it to healthcare workers first in the beginning) so really there is no "need" for us all to be vaccinated. Still did it.

That said, if Hawaii decides the test isn't necessary if you've been vaccinated I will be pulling a "Lilu Dallas multipass" with my vaccination card as I walk on by! :)

Maybe I would be surprised. I work on a Covid unit where most of the staff opted out of the vaccine. I had never even gotten a Covid test until I needed one to travel to Hawaii! Most of my friends are also opting to not vaccinate at the current time and I am only aware of 2 close family members who have chosen to vaccinate.

Maybe I would be surprised. I work on a Covid unit where most of the staff opted out of the vaccine. I had never even gotten a Covid test until I needed one to travel to Hawaii! Most of my friends are also opting to not vaccinate at the current time and I am only aware of 2 close family members who have chosen to vaccinate.
Wow, what a difference. I don't know anyone who will not be vaccinated who is eligible (friends and family) and my entire extended family of parents, siblings, kids and nieces and nephews--down to the kids 16 are over--have all been vaccinated or have an appointment to be vaccinated. My 46-year-old brother and 16 year old niece are the last on the list who live in the USA but will get theirs tomorrow. Our 21-year-old daughter is living in the UK and hasn't been vaccinated yet as they won't open up to her age for a couple months.

My sole reason for getting the vaccine was travel and because my daughter is getting married this summer. It is not to end the pandemic as that would require enough to get vaccinated for herd immunity and there not only is not a guarantee, it looks doubtful. Most of my friends don't trust a vaccine that is not FDA approved. Having people get a vaccine in the clinical trial process is not the definition of "doing your part to end the pandemic" A lot of my friends, family (including physicians) feel that it is not going to effective against the variants and vaccinated people can not fight against these as effectively as non vaccinated.

Wow this surprises me! I work at a small college and was vaccinated 3 months ago and faculty/staff are tested twice a week if working on campus and students are tested 3 times a week. Everyone I know that is eligible has either had the vaccine or is trying to secure an appointment.

Wow this surprises me! I work at a small college and was vaccinated 3 months ago and faculty/staff are tested twice a week if working on campus and students are tested 3 times a week. Everyone I know that is eligible has either had the vaccine or is trying to secure an appointment.
Same - I can’t think of any adult I know that has not had their first shot.

That said, re prior discuss I see no problem for anyone getting vaccinated for whatever reason compels them (travel, going to sports games, hugging family members all seem wonderful to me).

Same - I can’t think of any adult I know that has not had their first shot.

That said, re prior discuss I see no problem for anyone getting vaccinated for whatever reason compels them (travel, going to sports games, hugging family members all seem wonderful to me).
Whatever it takes to get the most people vaccinated I'm all for too. My college is currently debating making it mandatory for all students next fall and I'd go a step further and make it required of all faculty/staff. The more the merrier!

My sole reason for getting the vaccine was travel and because my daughter is getting married this summer. It is not to end the pandemic as that would require enough to get vaccinated for herd immunity and there not only is not a guarantee, it looks doubtful. Most of my friends don't trust a vaccine that is not FDA approved. Having people get a vaccine in the clinical trial process is not the definition of "doing your part to end the pandemic" A lot of my friends, family (including physicians) feel that it is not going to effective against the variants and vaccinated people can not fight against these as effectively as non vaccinated.

Luckily Pfizer (and as of yesterday I hear Moderna) have enough data from the last six months to apply for full approval. I have no idea how long that will take, but the fact they are moving forward without issue is a good sign that things continue to go very well for the mRNA options.

I can't say I have ever heard of vaccinated people having more trouble fighting off variants. So far studies have shown it is still more effective against current known variants than the yearly flu vaccine is against those (all eyes are on the double mutation in India now so we'll see if it continues to hold true). If for some reason it did, then I image it would not end up as an alternative for testing. Better safe than sorry.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter