Can Disney gift cards be used for port adventures?

StarSeven7

DIS Veteran
My husband's company has a program where they can be awarded points occasionally for doing excellent work - this is separate from his bonus. They can use the points in an online shop that allows them to buy gift cards to different retailers. He just received an award that will be enough to buy a $475 gift card but we already have a little over $300 in gift cards plus an onboard credit of $250 so that will be too much to cover our tips, drinks, and souvenirs. I'm wondering if we can also use the gift card for Disney port adventures. Right now all of our excursions are booked through outside companies but there's one that's very similar to what Disney offers so I would probably switch to that if we could get it mostly covered with a gift card. Otherwise we will use his award for something else. Thanks!

You would have to purchase OBC using the gift card and that would be applied in order received (non-refundable first and then refundable) to any excursions, gratuities, or other charges. You couldn't specify it for excursions only.

Because Disney excursions are charged to your onboard account, you can use gift cards to pay for them in the same way you pay for tips, drinks, and souvenirs. As Dug720 said, you can purchase Onboard Credit in advance, which will be applied to your account onboard. You can also go to Guest Services at any time during the cruise and apply the gift card to your account.

The $250 onboard credit is probably non-refundable, so I would make sure you have charged enough to use that first. Then you can check how much remains on your account (and how much you will pay for charges that you are sure will occur but may not have gone through yet, such as excursions, Palo/Remy, and tips) and put all or part of the gift card amount on your account to pay that amount. If you're not sure about future charges, you can pay what you are sure of, then go back to apply more of the card if necessary.

Last edited:
Anything purchased through Disney can be paid for with a Disney gift card. We always take gift cards on our cruise, and go by Guest Services the last night of the cruise to settle up our account. (You dont have to apply the cards any earlier unless you want to)

Thanks everyone! I just wanted to make sure that it could be applied to excursions because we're not doing any Palo dining, so for only tips, a few drinks, and souvenirs, we definitely won't spend over $1000 otherwise! (Or should I say we wouldn't ALLOW ourselves to spend over $1000 on those items! I'm sure it could be done though! Lol!)

Thanks everyone! I just wanted to make sure that it could be applied to excursions because we're not doing any Palo dining, so for only tips, a few drinks, and souvenirs, we definitely won't spend over $1000 otherwise! (Or should I say we wouldn't ALLOW ourselves to spend over $1000 on those items! I'm sure it could be done though! Lol!)

Be sure to hang onto the gift card until after your cruise. If you don’t spend all the funds from your gift card, the refund will go back to the gift card.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter