Can anyone recommend a “special” experience for our family trip in May?

michelleiada

DIS Veteran
We are 6 adults. My husband and I and our two daughters. One daughter is 26, newly pregnant and her husband will come. And, the other daughter is 24 and her boyfriend will join us also. We are DVC members so have many many trips in the books. I would like to book something fun that we have never done. I considered the Keys to the Kingdom tour, which I have done with my daughters once, but the guys have never done. I also considered the Wild Africa Jugle Trek but wonder if my daughter, who will be 5 months pregnant, will want to cross those bridges. Then I thought maybe a private fireworks cruise. Can anyone make any suggestions?

I can share what my family has & still does enjoy. (We haven't done any tours)
-Specialty cruise (we especially like the one at Epcot. It use to be Illuminations but this year a new show takes its place) cold drinks & various chips are included. The last time I surprised our group with glow sticks baseball caps we had to assemble while cruising. The fun part was figuring out how to put them together. Also did goofy glow stick glasses & shared with the captain. Had a blast. Then we got to wear them. Items available at Amazon.

-We also enjoyed the Hoop Dee Doo dinner show. Lots of laughs & audience interaction.

Wild Africa Trek is definitely out, as they do not allow pregnant women on the tour - not just for the bridges, but for the truck ride. Technically, expectant mothers aren't even advised to go on Kilimanjaro Safaris. :-) A few other ideas:
-Backstage Magic Tour, if you want a full-day backstage tour
-unDISCOVERed Future World - I love Epcot, so I really enjoyed this tour on my last trip. We explored all the different Future World pavilions and also went backstage to costuming and a couple other areas. There is also a World Showcase tour.
-Highway in the Sky Dine Around

Me and my fiancé did Dolphins in Depth at Epcot and it was amazing! I would see if they allow someone pregnant to take part in it. You get a behind the scenes tour of the Seas with Nemo, they’ll show you where they train the dolphins and you’ll get to meet them. Then you actually get into a wet suit and get to interact with them and take pictures. It’s about a three hour experience. I highly recommend it if you’re able to do it.

I'll add another vote for the specialty (fireworks) cruise at Epcot. We've done that a few times and always thoroughly enjoy it. We find it to be a nice relaxing way to end our day. I'm thinking about doing one again on our family trip this summer...before our family outgrows the capacity of the boat. :)

I *think* it's called Walk with Giants in AK, you get up close with the elephants. I wouldn't choose anything where someone who is pregnant is too far away from a bathroom :sad2:. Maybe behind the seeds tour if you enjoys plants and such

It's pricey, but maybe Highway in the Sky if they are offering it? DH and I loved the experience. A fireworks cruise is on our bucket list, but as a family of 3 that price is hard to swallow for just us.

-We also enjoyed the Hoop Dee Doo dinner show. Lots of laughs & audience interaction.
I was going to recommend the Hoop Dee Doo as well. Good food combined with fun entertainment made for a great night.

Try the Backstage Magic tour if it’s not out of your price range. They offer an AP discount for it; not certain as to whether or not there’s also a DVC discount.

First, congrats on the new addition. With your daughter being 5 months along at the time, have you considered a Dessert Party at the MK? She would be able to enjoy the fireworks with out having to stake out a spot. Or maybe an After Hours event, less crowds & depending on the month of travel, less heat & humidity.

Festival of the Lion King Tier 1 package - meal at Tiffin's, private safari ride and first row seats at Festival of the Lion King!
Pregnancy and the Safari is a bad combination. The ride is super bumpy along the way.

I echo that the Fireworks EPCOT cruise is a very nice time, and you can do it on a non-park day. Do be aware that you are viewing from the water just past the first bridge from UK to France. How the views are with the new shows, I don't know. The ride itself often includes a trip to the studios first with your captain telling trivia and stuff along the way.

What about After Hours event? It is a separate ticket for 3 hours after the park closes. They have them at Magic Kingdom and Animal Kingdom. Low crowds and wait times.
Or a dessert party for MK or HS fireworks.
Then there is the new Cirque du Soleil show opening at Disney Springs. We loved the old show it was amazing.

Pregnancy and the Safari is a bad combination. The ride is super bumpy along the way.

I echo that the Fireworks EPCOT cruise is a very nice time, and you can do it on a non-park day. Do be aware that you are viewing from the water just past the first bridge from UK to France. How the views are with the new shows, I don't know. The ride itself often includes a trip to the studios first with your captain telling trivia and stuff along the way.
I don’t the the Safari is a good idea either. I don’t think they even allow it.

Me and my fiancé did Dolphins in Depth at Epcot and it was amazing! I would see if they allow someone pregnant to take part in it. You get a behind the scenes tour of the Seas with Nemo, they’ll show you where they train the dolphins and you’ll get to meet them. Then you actually get into a wet suit and get to interact with them and take pictures. It’s about a three hour experience. I highly recommend it if you’re able to do it.

I doubt they will allow some pregnant in with the dolphins. The dolphin's will know she is pregnant and will then not pay attention to the rest of the guests and will only pay attention to her. I was pregnant on a cruise and I was not allowed to do any of the dolphin activities because of it. It would be worth checking into as this does sounds really cool.

I wouldn't suggest a fireworks cruise where there is no bathroom for a pregnant person. I would also vote for the MK Fireworks Dessert party where you have access to the Tomorrowland Terrace bathroom the whole time, if needed. At 5 months, most women will be over any morning sickness, so a nicer meal somewhere would be nice, perhaps with entertainment. Hoop Dee Doo was mentioned earlier (if you haven't done that) and we recently went to Raglan Road and can highly recommend that.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter