• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Can a Canadian convert a Kiwi into a Disney-aholic?

Sailormoon2

DIS Veteran
WHO

ME: The Puppy-Momma, household organizer, high school teacher, onesie wearing, dog loving lady, and since booking this vacation back in February have become, it seems, a Disney planning fanatic!!!
me.jpg
That's my fur-baby Spartan (he will not be making this trip :P)

DH: No photo:mad: Serious gamer, Kiwi (NZer) dog-loving, puppy-daddy. Not so in to Disney

POSSIBLY: Sister (DS?) with (will be) 8 month old nephew and Brother In-law (DBI??) They are currently booked but are anticipating work/scheduling conflicts, so we will wait and see.

WHY
Sister and I were taken at ages 10 and 7 (I am the eldest) back when IT was only MK and EP. Loved it!!! Like really, truly LOVED IT!! And talked numerous times about going back, maybe HS graduation, maybe Uni graduation, maybe family holiday etc.. None of these ever came to pass, as after graduation I left Canada for Asia and NZ where I spent 7 years and found my DH!!!

In the meantime sister did a trip 3 years ago to POP wit a girlfriend who goes annually!! She was instantly hooked and has talked about it non-stop since returning. So again we pondered a sister only trip, sister, daddy-only trip etc..but she got sidetracked meeting an awesome man, planning an enormous Italian wedding and giving birth to my nephew (her first!).

But I was really hooked and started perusing these (and other forums), researching all things Disney, and basically determined to make a holiday happen. Well, long story short, I stumbled upon the "magical" deal and simply couldn't pass it up:lovestruc!!!

WHEN AND WHERE

BEACH CLUB!!!! So excited to be staying at what would have been my ideal resort. All along I wanted to be at within walking distance of the parks so to be near 2 is amazing!!!! DH and i are huge walkers, in fact in our 37 years of existance we have only had a car for 4 of those (and in fact he doesn't even drive). I had never in a million years considered this could be in our budget.:):):)

August 26-31 THEN: We will be moving over to the Hard Rock Hotel (yes, at the dark side!!) for 2 days of US!!!! DH IS a huge Harry Potter and Marvel comics fan, so this part is really to appease him, although I love HP too!!!!

So far I have discovered that I love PLANNING, way more than I thought I would. I am hooked up on Touringplans and have been going mad making multiple "alternative" combinations. LOL!!! I have been driving DH nuts with all the "whatifs" so this PTR is basically an outlet for my enthusiasm and energy, to ensure I get my fix, but he doesn't hate it before we even arrive. He is sceptical at present but beign VERY OPEN MINDED. Basically he doesn't want to know anything in advance so that he can't form expectations....should be fun8-)right???

Next up....ADRs and the "latest" Itinerary....

THE ITINERARY

Suggestions/Improvements/Advice ALL welcome!!! At present we do not have Park Hoppers.

So, I have been only once, and DH never, ever, so we really want to experience as much as possible. We are fit individuals, so walking for hours will not be an issue. The heat on the hand...hmmmmm, we shall see:

Arrival 2pm Weds August 26th
-World Showcase: 7:20 Rose and Crown (to hopefully see Illuminations!)

Day 1: Option 1
Epcot (minus WS) til about 2pm
Afternoon Typhoon Lagoon (we have free tickets) so just seeing it for an hour or two is fine. Til 6pm close.
Dinner: ???? eat around WS? Illuminations

Day 2: Option 1
MK: BOG 1:30pm

Day 1: Option 2
8am EMH MK: BOG 2:30pm-would love to score a pre-open Crystal Palace here
Day 2: Option 2
Either Epcot in the morning followed by same Typhoon Lagoon arrangement, then return to EP for Night EMH til 11pm
OR just head to TL for open and return to EP for night extra hours and Illuminations.

**Regardless of which combination above I would love another meal in WS**

Day 3: HS
8am EMH
5:00pm at Yacht club return to park for Fantasmic. (Not impressed with the HS restaurants so I think leaving is the better option) But am open to suggestions.

Day 4: AK

8am EMH
3:00pm at Sanaa
leave from AKL for...
DTD: 8pm Raglan Road

Then we check out super early the following morning. Taxi to Hard Rock hotel in time to make our Express Passes and get in Early to WWOHP!!! We will have 2 days at US.

Following along! Beach club looks amazing! I love to walk too, last time we tried to walk to DHS and couldn't figure it out then I get home and saw we were right there :sad1: Oh well! Next time.

Following along! Beach club looks amazing! I love to walk too, last time we tried to walk to DHS and couldn't figure it out then I get home and saw we were right there :sad1: Oh well! Next time.

Oh no!! I hope it isn't very hard, I am diabolical with directions.

17 days until I get to make my Fast Pass+ selections!!! I've got my Touringplans completed (maybe, only a couple thousand more tweaks and I'm sure I'll be satisfied!!!) and am sooo pumped!!! Especially since my 60 days out mark falls on my Birthday!!! Woo Hoo! What an awesome day to choose fps.

It looks as though my sister and her DH will not be joining us after all. So the amended itinerary with ADRs for just DH and I is as follows:

08/26: flight arrives 2pm. Hope to be in WS by 5 at the absolute latest. Planning to surprise DH with a FP for TT around 6, as I told him there would be no rides that first night. Tour what we can of WS and head to RnC for 7:20,if we score a patio table we'll stay to watch Illuminations. If not, then we'll probably tour some more then and see the show later in the week.

08/27:EMH MK DAY!!! 11am Lunch at BOG and dinner at 5:30 Kona cafe, because riding the monorail should definitely be on the cards for a first time Disney attendee. Our focus here will depend on the FPs. Will try for A+E and then play the other princesses by ear. Other wise the focus of today is to ride all the rides (and hopefully repeats!). Of course if we're feeling to hot and tired we may leave after dinner and head back through EP to catch Illuminations instead.

08/28: Breakfast at Cape May Cafe followed my the morning at TL (which opens at 10am) so this is effectively a sleep-in for us!! Return to the hotel around 2 pm for a break and then head back into EP for some late EMH FW action. FP for Soarin' a must!!! No ADR here, just eat CS as we feel. And of course, watch Illuminations, if we haven't seen it yet.

08/29: The day I am most excited for!!!! AK: Tusker House PRE-park opening!!! Riding EE as many times as I possible can, FOTLK and walking the trails are my priorities. I love all things animal!!! Late-lunch at Sanaa (which I am crazy excited about too!) then heading back to MK (late EMH) for Wishes etc..if we were too tired to stay the first time, if we've seen the show then it will be all about more Princess M+Gs. My MIL lives on the complete other side of the world to us, and given that my DH is known for his stand-offish demeanor, we decided it would be hilarious to get as many Princess photos with him as we could and then turn it into a Calendar to send his mom for Christmas. She would be in complete disbelief that he would do that, and laugh herself silly. This idea has my giggling constantly. I also am hoping to make us a calendar which a different ride photo each month :)

08/30: As yesterday will have been crazy busy, and late, we will once again "sleep-in" this morning. I am hoping to get early FPs for TSMM so we do not have to be at DHS right at RD (although we will probably make it then anyways, as 7am is considered sleeping late in this house). I don't anticipate having much to do at this resort, so my touring plan has me done around 2pm (if we see the Lights, Action show), we'll head back to BC to swim or nap. Then dinner at HBD (but have been reading some good MM reviews so may change) and view Fantasmic. Early to bed (hopefully) as we check out the next morning and head to...

08/31: Universal Studios!!! Drop of bags and "check-in" super early to HRH so we can claim our Express Passes then head into the park for Early Opening of WWoHP!!! My touring plan has us seeing both parks BOTH today and tomorrow (so I can ride the HE!!!). This day has a high crowd prediction so we'll see how much we can reasonably get done. And will decide about water rides based on weather, both DH and I have no problem coming off an attraction soaked!

08/01: Continued touring of US and IOA. The crowd prediction for this day is half that of yesterday, so based on what happened the day before hopefully this will be a lot of re-rides!!! And exploration of WWoHP with interactive wands etc..

No firm food plans for US, I would like to try 3 Broomsticks and probably a meal in Citywalk, but beyond that nothing is especially taking my fancy. I really like that we can just "wing it" on our last two days.

I can't wait to get those FPs, but then also to come back and compare our actual Trip Experience to my plans as outlined here.

Your plans sound great! And your FP+ window is opening so soon! Sorry to hear your sis won't be joining you, but nice to have a trip with just your DH!

I absolutely love the idea of the calendar, so clever and funny!

Your plans look great!

08/26: flight arrives 2pm. Hope to be in WS by 5 at the absolute latest. Planning to surprise DH with a FP for TT around 6, as I told him there would be no rides that first night. Tour what we can of WS and head to RnC for 7:20,if we score a patio table we'll stay to watch Illuminations. If not, then we'll probably tour some more then and see the show later in the week.

At Rose and Crown they have a private viewing area, so if you are wrapping up dinner shortly before 9 tell them you want to view and they will walk you out to the viewing area so you can see the fire works. (this is what we did in 2012, i can not confirm its still 100% accurate but i would ask!)

08/27:EMH MK DAY!!! 11am Lunch at BOG and dinner at 5:30 Kona cafe, because riding the monorail should definitely be on the cards for a first time Disney attendee. Our focus here will depend on the FPs. Will try for A+E and then play the other princesses by ear. Other wise the focus of today is to ride all the rides (and hopefully repeats!). Of course if we're feeling to hot and tired we may leave after dinner and head back through EP to catch Illuminations instead.

For A&E i got us all FP with over lapping times, example i was 4-5, my sister was 4:15-5:15 and my MIL was 4:30-5:30 so we all could go in from 4:30-5, i found this easier then trying to get 3 or 4 at the same time.

Last edited:
Ahhh your trip is so close!! I can't wait to read your report - we've visited the Beach Club before but haven't actually stayed, and we'll be staying there for our honeymoon in May. I'm excited to read all about your experience there!

I think you're there right now! Hope you're having a great time :goodvibes I love the Beach Club so much, I'm excited to hear about your time staying there :goodvibes

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter