Can a 2yo REALLY enjoy and remember WDW?

Barb D

DIS Veteran
We got back from WDW two weeks ago. At this moment my almost-2yo is toddling around the house with a gift bag hanging on her arm. "Bye Mommy! Bye DiDi! Bye Doug!" "Where are you going?" "MICKEY HOUSE!"

She does this at least a couple of times a day. She still talks about the characters and rides. "I see MICKEY! I see DOOFY! I see DONNA DUCK! I ride BUMBO!"

She had a total blast while we were there, and yes, she does remember it. My now 8yo went at 2 and at 4, and still remembered the 2yo trip when she was 4. (She doesn't remember it now, but she's been back 4 times since then!)

BTW, "DiDi" is really "Carrie." Oddly enough, Doug called Carrie "DiDi" when he was a toddler, too.

I'm glad to hear this - I'm going with my 2 year old in just 2 weeks!
I'm not looking foward to the long waits at the airport though...

Zephyr

A lot depends on the child. Any two year old can enjoy WDW! Ours certainly did! Some will remember, some won't -- I have a brother who seriously does remember all sorts of things from that age (on up -- it's scary), but then there's me, who can barely remember what I had for lunch. That's why we take lots of pictures ;) !

2 years old can absolutely enjoy Disney World, but IMHO they will forget the experience in a few years. But that's ok, because YOU will always remember their joy.

We went last year and this and our youngest was 2 then 3. She loves it as much as we do! The only thing different with her is that she takes a little nap. In the carriage or during a quite show. American Adventure at Epcot sent her out 2 years running. I would caution about too many rides that are too over her head. We went on Journey into Imagination then Honey I shrunk the audience last year. She was too young. She was upset for a couple of hours. This year we avoided those two like the plague. And even though we did it in 2000 she will still say (at odd times), I don't like those naughty bugs

It's quite funny what they remember - we last went to Disney in February 2000 when our son was just 3 and he remembers loads. I didn't think he would remember half the things he has. He remembers Buzz Lightyear's Space Ranger Spin, character lunch at Hollywood & Vine, the Barney show in Universal, and the kids park at Universal with the water cannons (can't remember what it is called). Meeting Rugrats & Scooby Doo, Mickey & Minnie, Fireworks at Epcot, Mardi Gras and catching all the beads at Universal. He even remembers falling over in Universal and grazing his arm!

We're due to go in 5 weeks time and can't wait. He will be celebrating his 5th birthday whilst we're there and our other son's will be 3 and 18m.

Lisa

I have a 19yr old DD and a 16yr old DD. Oldest DD was 4 the first time we went to WDW. When they were little, they remembered a lot about their first trips, but as time goes on, they have forgotten a lot of things. Even the stories that were talked about for years after we went. They might not remember, but we do and DDs like hearing the stories about the things they did when they were little. Like oldest DD was really worried about how hard Minnie Mouse was working at our character breakfast. She was very concerned that Minnie would be too tired to be in the parade later. She talked about that for years after. Now, she doesn't really remember it and accuses me of making it up.

So, don't count on them remembering everything. They will have a good time, you will have a good time and you will have your memories and pictures to help them remember.

but I don't know if I care. My husband and I got the biggest kick out of seeing him react to everything. And having home movies of him grasping on to Pooh's leg (and all the other characters, too) at the character dinner is priceless!

We didn't take him when he was 11 months. He had a great time with his Auntie and cousins. But this time I wanted to take him. I figure he won't remember a thing but the rest of our family will remember HIM!!:)

Absolutely! We've taken each of our kids at age 2 and I'm always amazed at some of the things they remember. And, our memories - well, we'll treasure them forever!

Beth

My children who are now 17 & 19 yo, went to WDW for the first time when they were 11 mos and 2 1/2 yo old. They have gone back 3-4 times every year since then. Do they remember their first trip, no, but they love looking at pictures of their many trips over the years and they love hearing the stories about their trips and I will ALWAYS remember the very special memories each and every one of these trips has given me! BTW, they have always enjoyed every WDW trip no matter how young they were.

Sure. We've been taking our DD and DS since they were 22 mo. and 10 mo. old, respectively. Just be sure to take lots of pictures and videos so they will remember after you get back home. It also helps reinforce their memories if you watch the WDW vacation videos with them and remind them what they have seen or where they have been.

Yes, my son remembered things from age 19 months. Not all, of course, but he rememvered Bear!

We took our son (by air) to WDW last April, he was 15 months old. He loved it! We edited our 4.5 hours of video tape to 30 minutes and he watches it all the time. We got doubles of our 12 rolls of film and made a photo album and put it on the kitchen floor, he looks thru it all the time. I don't expect him to remember WDW when he's 20 yo, but he's 21 months now and I am sure he remembers April 2001 trip. We are going back April 2002, he'll be 2 years and 4 months old. We are lucky to have Disney promotions visit in Canada occasionally, he gets to see it more! Our 8 year old daugther's first visit was when she was 4.5 yo. She remembers most of the trip, and she'll always remember the APril 2001 trip. We have many friends who SAY they'll take their kids to WDW when the kids are 'old enough to remember' well, most of these kids of theirs are 10 -12 years old and they'll never go now! Or there is always SOMETIME ELSE to buy, other friends save for Disney, then spend the money re-decoraing the house. I drive a rust-bucket, work part-time (I love it) and save JUST FOR DISNEY TRIPS!

My DD was 2 last time we went (she just turned 4) and she remembers lots. In fact today she floored me. I bought her a fanny pack for our trip in 3 weeks and told her it was for her autograph book, pen, and snacks. When we got home from the store, she loaded it up with fruit snacks and her old autograph book. Then she started digging through her magic marker bucket and came up with a white bic pen. She says, "there it is!!" and puts it in her pack. I take a close look at it and it's the white bic pen with "Walt Disney Resorts" printed on it...the same pen she used at 2 at WDW and I haven't seen this pen since then!! The memory on this kid is something scary LOL!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter