• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Can’t Make a Decision!!! Poly or GF??

Based on what you're looking for:

GF has a much brighter feel, more formal dining venues, large rooms (but not quite as big as poly)

Poly has more casual but IMO more fun dining options, better food in the Club Level lounge, the largest standard rooms, and a better pool

Both have lots of dining choices, large rooms, monorail access, nice Club lounges, views of the fireworks, boat rentals, and are a short walk from each other. They both have quiet, secluded walkways if you want to just relax at the resort. GF has the spa, but it's actually located between the two resorts, so it's a very short walk from the poly.

Amenities are pretty much the same, so I would base your decision on the look of the resorts and if you want something that feels more formal (GF) or casual (poly).

GF main building CL (RPC) and Poly TPV or LV CL are our 2 favorite CL's. But they're very different experiences. At Poly CL, you are in a different building than the main building. Granted, they are very close to one another, but your CL building will consist of rooms and a glorious lounge - and when I say glorious I mean it has fantastic views and it's the one lounge that we could easily enjoy for long periods of time.

Now when you stay at RPC, your room will be inside the main building. So when you check out both resorts during your work conference, walk in the GF lobby and look up because that's where the lounge is. It's a GREAT atmosphere with the music, the smells, and the luxorious feeling. Also, it is not stuffy, by the way. We are an average family who never thought we'd like the GF until we stayed there and now it's one of our favorites, particularly RPC.

CL food offerings seem to change and vary quite often, so it's hard to predict what will be there when you go.

Good luck choosing - honestly both of those CL's are top-notch!

we are not hoity toity kind of people. We’re very casual. I worried that we wouldn’t “fit in” at the Grand!
Don't worry about that one bit! It is a pretty hotel but it's still very much a WDW hotel. :) I think both resorts are great, you're gonna have a great trip either way.:earsboy:

Based on what you're looking for:

GF has a much brighter feel, more formal dining venues, large rooms (but not quite as big as poly)

Poly has more casual but IMO more fun dining options, better food in the Club Level lounge, the largest standard rooms, and a better pool

I've checked a few web sites, and they all say the same thing:
GF rooms are 440 sq ft.
Poly rooms are 415 sq ft.

Are they wrong?

I've stayed at both. I prefer GF but Poly is very nice. I had the unfortunate experience to stay at the Poly during construction. I knew it was going on but I had no idea of the extent and wasn't advised the extent, so it left of bit of a negative feeling with me. From a child I always wanted to stay there and the room and views didn't let me down. GF is something else. It's very grand and I don't find it stuffy. I guess it would seem that way if you've never been around the place before but kids running around in bathing suits doesn't seem like a stuffy place.

After finally getting to stay at GF last month, my vote is for the POLY. My DH likes the "relaxed" atmosphere there and WE enjoy the "Old Theme" there. We miss the old Lobby. :( I kinda hate that Disney is refurbing all their rooms to look like Hilton's and Marriott's.

Last month it was cheaper AP rate, lagoon view, to stay at GF than at the POLY, that's one of the reasons we decided to try it.

I believe they made the larger POLY rooms into the Villas? Old Tahiti (Moorea now) rooms were HUGE.

We've stayed at the Poly many times and love it, relaxing feel, tiki torches, great views. Really I don't think you can go wrong with any of the monorail resorts but ... I always felt bad for the people staying at the GF, seems almost every morning, the monorail would be nearly full before it gets to the GF - looked like a struggle for them to find space. No doubt Poly has the transportation advantage.

I know you didn’t ask, but have you considered the Epcot resorts, specifically the yacht and the beach club? We come from California too and as such we don’t spend as much time in the Magic Kingdom as we do in the other parks. The yacht and Beach club are more centrally located and are about a five minute walk to Epcot plus you can take the boat to Hollywood studios and they also have an amazing pool area. again I know this wasn’t what you were asking but I too have a “we live by Disneyland why do we need to go to Florida husband” and he enjoys the Epcot resorts more than the MK ones. I am sure that you will have an amazing trip whatever you decide!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter