Camping with two Autistic children..

Rland8228

DIS Veteran
Hey everyone! Its been awhile since I have posted. Since our trip in September of 2016 at the cabins, we are now planning our next trip! We LOVED the fort so much and would love to plan another stay. I just kinda want to try and save some money and have thought about possibly camping. So I was wondering if anyone on here has any experience camping with Autistic children? DS5 and DD 2 are both Autistic and have some times where they have meltdowns. I feel as if trying to stay in a hotel is not an option at all as I am worried about disrupting other peoples vacations. My husband says I worry too much about that but it is just who I am. I feel that maybe having a lot of our own things and being some what secluded would help. Any advice or tips would be great. If staying at the cabins is kinda our only option then obviously I will do it because its Disney and I do anything for Disney lol!!!

Hey everyone! Its been awhile since I have posted. Since our trip in September of 2016 at the cabins, we are now planning our next trip! We LOVED the fort so much and would love to plan another stay. I just kinda want to try and save some money and have thought about possibly camping. So I was wondering if anyone on here has any experience camping with Autistic children? DS5 and DD 2 are both Autistic and have some times where they have meltdowns. I feel as if trying to stay in a hotel is not an option at all as I am worried about disrupting other peoples vacations. My husband says I worry too much about that but it is just who I am. I feel that maybe having a lot of our own things and being some what secluded would help. Any advice or tips would be great. If staying at the cabins is kinda our only option then obviously I will do it because its Disney and I do anything for Disney lol!!!
what type of camping are you planning? tent, renting or buy travel trailer? something to remember the door in bedroom can not be locked from the inside, not talking about outside coming in. have had grandkids around age of yours open door while supposed to be napping

We have a 9 year old grandson who loves the Fort and all it has to offer. He does better in "home like" accommodations (like a camper/cabin) as opposed to a hotel room when we go away. He likes to use his devices and the wi fi has been adequate when needed. We usually plan short times at the parks and lots of time for swimming and exploring. We also bring some sort of ball as he likes to play catch or "soccer"in some of the large grassy areas. He doesn't care for the noise of fireworks so viewing the Magic Kingdom display from the Transportation Center works well for him. Having a kitchen is great because of his picky eating. I hope your trip works out for you and that you have a wonderful time.

what type of camping are you planning? tent, renting or buy travel trailer? something to remember the door in bedroom can not be locked from the inside, not talking about outside coming in. have had grandkids around age of yours open door while supposed to be napping
\

We are thinking of trying tent camping, we did have a travel trailer but had to get rid of it when we turned in our truck as it was out of lease. We have camped once when it was just the two boys, so it would be a new ball game for us. We just would love to be back at the Fort but I am also trying to be mindful of our wallet lol. We have unfortunately grown out of a regular room :(. I think my biggest concern and DH gets on me about it all the time, is disrupting others. When we came down in 2016 Aaron had a massive meltdown on the boat coming back and a women actually made a comment about keeping my child quite, It took me forever to stop crying. I just know how much we save to come down I don't want to ruin someone's trip!

\

We are thinking of trying tent camping, we did have a travel trailer but had to get rid of it when we turned in our truck as it was out of lease. We have camped once when it was just the two boys, so it would be a new ball game for us. We just would love to be back at the Fort but I am also trying to be mindful of our wallet lol. We have unfortunately grown out of a regular room :(. I think my biggest concern and DH gets on me about it all the time, is disrupting others. When we came down in 2016 Aaron had a massive meltdown on the boat coming back and a women actually made a comment about keeping my child quite, It took me forever to stop crying. I just know how much we save to come down I don't want to ruin someone's trip!
having been tent campers it would be hard to air condition a rent in summer at the Fort. I know I need the air at night to sleep. another idea beside the cabins is renting a travel trailer. how would your kids do using a comfort station where others could be? a couple of things to think about

\

You never quite understand a meltdown until you have a child with Autism that you love. I was always patient with kids but that has increased ten fold since we have our wonderful grandson.

\

Please , you are not ruining someone else's vacation. Don't worry about what other people think. This is a vacation you and your DH have paid for. Enjoy your vacation.

\

in 2016 Aaron had a massive meltdown on the boat coming back and a women actually made a comment about keeping my child quite, It took me forever to stop crying. I just know how much we save to come down I don't want to ruin someone's trip!

You didn't ruin anyone's vacation, but that horrible woman sure did try to ruin yours. If people don't want to be around children, and all that goes with that, they should steer clear of Disney! Don't let terrible people bother you. Certainly don't let my upset you to the point of tears!

You may want to try some tent camping trips close to home and see how things go. If you are tent camping at the Fort during summer, you would certainly need air conditioning. Other options involve renting trailer from an offsite rental place. Or buying a small camper/pop-up that you could pull with your current vehicle.

Whether it be tent or camper, kids on the spectrum get their comfort from familiarity. The more you can get them used to the surroundings, and feeling comfortable there, the better your trip will be.

Hope things go well for you!

Nobody knows your kids better than you do. What will it take to make your family's trip great is all in your hands. Everyone around here is more than willing to help you ask you questions seek opinions. Like one of my good friend says "If we can't hear you we Cant Help you !"
Taking the boys tent camping before hand should give you a good idea of it is a good option for you. Many of the local CG's around her offer rental trailers and that might be worth a try if available as well.
As for the woman on the boat Don't let her live rent free in your head. I have no doubt you were doing all you could to ease and comfort your son. You handled it far better than I would have I might have told her "Since you are such an expert here he is show me how to do it better !"

:thanks::thanks::thanks::thanks:Thank you all for the kind words. Its just so hard when people assume its a behavioral issue, and look at me like I'm being a you know what. Well we made the decision to give it a try! I do have a room only reservation booked at pop right now just in case we change our minds soon. We probably are crazy and insane, but hey, it seems to have worked out pretty well for us so far!! :rolleyes::rolleyes: We are going to rent a golf cart and we have a small trip planned locally . DS and DD aren't runners which is the one thing we are very lucky about. I wont say that it hasn't happened here and there but not a consistent concern for us. I know we will have a good time no matter what we choose to do. If we have to stay at pop I will just ask for a corner room so I only have to disrupt one person lol! Plus after June we are officially a family of five as DD will be three, so if camping goes well we can still at least enjoy Disney!!

Sensory wise, if you plan on tent camping I would do some test runs. Set up tent inside house to nap (if they still do), then sleep overnight. Then, if you have a back yard, tent overnight in the yard. Then, if possible, tent in a campground close to your home.
Disney is amazing for children who have Autism and your children will reap the benefits of all your love and hard work!!!!
That lady on the boat is the one who is ruining people's vacations. Not you and definitely not your children!

I have an autistic son and took him camping in Utah. Worst experience of my life. He woke up in the middle of the night and got loud. We had campers complaining all around us. We had to take him to the van and sleep in there. We rent a house offsite. It is more like home but with a pool. If he has a meltdown, he only bothers us.

As the mom of an autistic son (now grown,) and a lifetime avid camper, I know tent camping can be a great experience for all kids. Once again, I would suggest getting the kids very used to the tent. Decide on an inside layout, and keep it the same every single time. Make it as comfortable and cozy as possible, maybe even having a play tent, inside the family tent, for the 5 year old to sleep. Have all his belongings in there and make somewhere he feels very at home.

With almost 29 years of experience - way before there was anyone around to help me - I can say the #1 priority is familiarity. If you have a back yard to put up the tent, that would be perfect. If your children are not comfortable on air mattresses (probably wouldn't put a 2 year old on one anyway,) then try cots. Once they are used to the tent, with the same layout, and familiar stuff in there, they will think of it like a vacation home and you will have a peaceful trip.

We tent camped throughout our kids' childhoods very often. Our autistic son had more adjustments then the others, obviously, but as issues came up we addressed them. There is absolutely no reason to deprive autistic children of amazing experiences out of fear. Get them comfortable being a bit out of their usual comfort zone and they will thrive. Since routine will clearly be different at Disney, I feel like having a tent or camper that is familiar, is much more comforting than a hotel room that they would have to adjust to on the spot.

My DD absolutely LOVES camping! She doesn't clinically have an autism dx, but many of the same challenges. We haven't camped at WDW, but we have camped at various locations every summer for the past 8-9 years, including a highly-anticipated week every summer at a music festival. We use basically the same set-up inside the tent from year-to-year, with a few minor tweaks now and then as we upgrade equipment. She also loves to spend time in the tent each year when we dig it out and set it up as a pre-check in the spring/early summer.

Your kids are young, and I don't know their interests or abilities as far as toys. DD loves to play camping with her dolls and LEGOs. Over the years we've created tents, sleeping bags, campers, fire pits, etc. that get used year-round. Play can be a great way to work through some new scenarios with the kids.

Enjoy your vacation!

I have an autistic son and we will be tent camping at the fort for our first time in September. As stated above you know your kids best. We camp a few times a year in state parks and here's what i know from that. I know with my son we have to have air mattresses for our comfort and his. he doesn't do well in a sleeping bag.
The only time that you may have to worry about a meltdown that might effect other campers is at night. Usually for camping during the day its not to quiet around places anyway with other kids playing and other campers moving. if that's a problem maybe noise canceling headphones or something you know works at home and calms them down.
I agree with fortforever above to get them used to the tent and even what they may be sleeping on as that will be different for them. My son enjoys camping, he plays in the dirt (sometimes more then I want lol) and jumps around.
As for that lady on the bus don't let people like that make you feel bad. Most of the time they don't know what it is like raising children on the spectrum and judge based on their own experiences. You were better then me as well cause I probably would have asked how many asd children she had raised?

:thanks::thanks::thanks::thanks:Thank you all for the kind words. Its just so hard when people assume its a behavioral issue, and look at me like I'm being a you know what. Well we made the decision to give it a try! I do have a room only reservation booked at pop right now just in case we change our minds soon. We probably are crazy and insane, but hey, it seems to have worked out pretty well for us so far!! :rolleyes::rolleyes: We are going to rent a golf cart and we have a small trip planned locally . DS and DD aren't runners which is the one thing we are very lucky about. I wont say that it hasn't happened here and there but not a consistent concern for us. I know we will have a good time no matter what we choose to do. If we have to stay at pop I will just ask for a corner room so I only have to disrupt one person lol! Plus after June we are officially a family of five as DD will be three, so if camping goes well we can still at least enjoy Disney!!

I stick with the room reservations. I've tent camped at Ft. Wilderness, and It's a lot of fun, but there is a lot of extra planning and work that goes into it. The restroom is a small walk from your camp site, so having to use the potty at night means a long walk to the restroom (same for showers and such). If it rains, and it rains a lot in WDW, you have to make sure everything is well protected and sealed (that lightning will be much louder in a tent than in a room). As well as other things. Seems it will be less stress to stay at value resort in my opinion.

Another thing you may consider is using one of the ride share services (lyft, uber, minnie vans). It may be a less stressful way to get to and from parks. Especially coming back late at night from a park. Those packed buses can stress anyone out.

Just a few thoughts.

Thank you guys for the advice!

As the mom of an autistic son (now grown,) and a lifetime avid camper, I know tent camping can be a great experience for all kids. Once again, I would suggest getting the kids very used to the tent. Decide on an inside layout, and keep it the same every single time. Make it as comfortable and cozy as possible, maybe even having a play tent, inside the family tent, for the 5 year old to sleep. Have all his belongings in there and make somewhere he feels very at home.

With almost 29 years of experience - way before there was anyone around to help me - I can say the #1 priority is familiarity. If you have a back yard to put up the tent, that would be perfect. If your children are not comfortable on air mattresses (probably wouldn't put a 2 year old on one anyway,) then try cots. Once they are used to the tent, with the same layout, and familiar stuff in there, they will think of it like a vacation home and you will have a peaceful trip.

We tent camped throughout our kids' childhoods very often. Our autistic son had more adjustments then the others, obviously, but as issues came up we addressed them. There is absolutely no reason to deprive autistic children of amazing experiences out of fear. Get them comfortable being a bit out of their usual comfort zone and they will thrive. Since routine will clearly be different at Disney, I feel like having a tent or camper that is familiar, is much more comforting than a hotel room that they would have to adjust to on the spot.

We are looking at the cots for the two little ones! I really appreciate the recommendations. We plan on doing some trial runs with the tent set up in the living room ( once we move everything lol) and then the backyard and the small weekend trip we have planned!

I have an autistic son and we will be tent camping at the fort for our first time in September. As stated above you know your kids best. We camp a few times a year in state parks and here's what i know from that. I know with my son we have to have air mattresses for our comfort and his. he doesn't do well in a sleeping bag.
The only time that you may have to worry about a meltdown that might effect other campers is at night. Usually for camping during the day its not to quiet around places anyway with other kids playing and other campers moving. if that's a problem maybe noise canceling headphones or something you know works at home and calms them down.
I agree with fortforever above to get them used to the tent and even what they may be sleeping on as that will be different for them. My son enjoys camping, he plays in the dirt (sometimes more then I want lol) and jumps around.
As for that lady on the bus don't let people like that make you feel bad. Most of the time they don't know what it is like raising children on the spectrum and judge based on their own experiences. You were better then me as well cause I probably would have asked how many asd children she had raised?

Thank you! I do normally fly off the handle but when it comes to this I don't know why I cant. We have occasionally given the kids melatonin at night per the doctors. I don't like to do it all the time. But it got so bad that I was getting maybe two hours of sleep and it was awful We actually ran out of it this weekend and the kids woke up at 11 and stayed awake until 5:30. Then DS was up at 7: 45 saying wake up! So maybe keeping that as a back up. We actually bought noise canceling headphones today because two years ago was our first test run with Aaron and we got caught waiting for the monorail at Epcot and the fireworks started. He was not happy but he since has done a lot better. So we are taking them just in case!

Probably because its vacation and you wasn't expecting someone so rude when you were trying your best.Yea I occasionally do the melatonin as well. I would definitely have it as a back up if needed. My ds has his moments of unrest at night but for most part its not bad anymore. He will be 13 in April. He doesn't like fireworks either and will hold on to us tighter so headphones are a blessing there.

We started giving my son melatonin after that trip. He did not bother us at home if he didn't sleep through the night, on vacation it was a different story. We have been a camping family since he was little, we even camp in the backyard when we can't get away. He was just ready to get up at 2am. I hope it all works out for you, it sounds like you are going to be prepared. I've always wanted to camp at the Fort, but I'm afraid we will never camp again after that trip.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter