Camping at the Fort "Must haves"

Bikes definitely! We used them all the time! And decorations! This past trip was our first time camping at the fort and we were so jealous of everyone's decorations, we really wished we had something for our site.

http://www.amazon.com/Razor-EcoSmar...489&sr=8-1&keywords=electric+scooter+ecosmart

Our electric scooters! This was our alternative to the golf cart and it worked perfectly for us. DH and I each have one and our dd's are still small enough that they can just stand in front of us, one dd on each scooter. We used them to get to the camp store, the pool, the boat dock, etc.

At one point I was told by a security guard that I should be on the sidewalk with it. But the sidewalks at the fort are crazy twisty and it was too difficult to ride on them on this. This scooter goes about 18 mph so it stays up to sped with the golf carts and we stayed on the roads with no problems.

I had several people ask if we had rented them there and two different CM's ask if they could try it out (one of which actually did! one night I went up to the check in building at the outpost to ask a question and a gentleman CM just coming outside was very pleased when I told him he could take it for a spin while I was inside).

Anyhoo, I've included the link to amazon for it in case anyone is interested. We get so much use out of these at campgrounds, it's more than paid for itself imo. taking trash to the dumpsters, getting ice from the camp stores, getting to the pools, it's wonderful!

I though motorized 2 wheeled vehicles were banned from FW? A few years ago I wanted to bring down a class b with a moped on the rear bumper, but was told I could not use the moped in the campground.

Mickey light is a must have. The adult trip with 6 of us we bring 2 golf carts. We have two people with bad knees and the walking in the parks is enough, add walking to and from the bus just does not work.

I though motorized 2 wheeled vehicles were banned from FW? A few years ago I wanted to bring down a class b with a moped on the rear bumper, but was told I could not use the moped in the campground.
Well according to --> https://www.explorethemagic.com/images/resorts/Fort Wilderness Vehicle Rules.pdf

Skates, kick and electric scooters, and electric mobility devices must be used on sidewalks and paths only.
No roadway use.

So based on that then they must be allowed just with a specific set of rules.

The moped I assume is gas powered?

I believe if it is electric or kick then it is allowed.

Gas powered mopeds are generally considered an actual vehicle (license and registration requirements in Florida do exist) and as such would generally fall underneath the Forts "General Vehicle" rules (think of it as a small motorcycle). I don't think Mopeds (gas type) would be specifically disallowed.

the 2 wheeled "Electric" vehicle (scooter, electric assisted bicycle, etc..) would fall under the "Bicycle and Recreational devices" rules section.

What is not allowed is
  • All-terrain vehicles
  • utility-style carts
  • ripsticks
  • skateboards
  • mini motorcycles
According to the link I provided above (if you scroll to the bottom of the document) Moped scooters are SPECIFICALLY allowed but are limited to "roadways". They are not, however, allowed to park in the golfcart areas. I would say that it probably depends on the moped itself (as some lean more to the "Motorcycle" with pedals while others lean more to the "Bicycle" with a motor) that you might get away with parking it at a bicycle rack.

Again, however, it is allowed at the fort.

Flash lights,,,I really like a good flash light, , some parts of the Fort can be dark.
I love the new LED flash lights. Lots of light, little batteries, and now-a-days fairly cheap. I keep several in our camper, and of course now they are small enough to keep on a keychain in your pocket just in case. (never mind the Phone "Flash" can be used that way too.)

You nailed this one. A flash light (imho) is an absolute MUST HAVE!

Moped scooters are SPECIFICALLY allowed but are limited to "roadways". They are not, however, allowed to park in the golfcart areas....

Again, however, it is allowed at the fort.

Understood. Yes, they said I could use it like any other vehicle to leave the Fort, visit parks, go shopping, etc.... I wanted to use the moped in the Fort, in the same way others use golf carts, and that was not allowed.

Sorry for hijacking the thread. To the OP's question, flip flops (or some form of water tolerant footwear) for the comfort stations. And flashlights.

Swimsuits, broom and or leaf blower for sand at sites and in tent/rv, chairs and your own samores kits. If tent camping - extension cord and light, power strip.

If this is your first trip, I would try to add a few more days, even if not in the parks. These can be used in a number of ways besides the parks like, downtown disney, water parks, beach day at coccoo beach, resort hoping, just hanging at FW exploring. There are lots of activities at the FW pool, then there is also movies at night.

The more info you can provide us the more we can provide guidance for best trip ever!!

My fifthwheel and family. And lots and lots of money. Disney is expensive.

Seriously, we camp in our fifthwheel so much, there isn't much we bring to disney that we wouldn't bring on any other camping trip. There are only two things I can think of: our Disney pins (we used to be caught up in pin trading when the kids were small) and my Disney journal, which I write in each night. Otherwise we pack like it's any other trip.

If this is your first trip, I would try to add a few more days, even if not in the parks. These can be used in a number of ways besides the parks like, downtown disney, water parks, beach day at coccoo beach, resort hoping, just hanging at FW exploring. There are lots of activities at the FW pool, then there is also movies at night.

The more info you can provide us the more we can provide guidance for best trip ever!!

We did that last year, we fell so in love with FW that while there we added days on, luckily they were able to squeeze us in a few more days just to enjoy the Fort itself! I agree, there are so many enjoyable things to do besides going to the parks, we wish we had even more days!

Swimsuits, broom and or leaf blower for sand at sites and in tent/rv, chairs and your own samores kits. If tent camping - extension cord and light, power strip.

Thanks so much! While this is our first trip to Fort Wilderness, it's certainly not to Disney World. :-). We normally are Polynesian peeps...I'm psyched to hear all of your Fort tips!

Add us to the bikes group. And with bikes, be sure to have front and rear lights on each of them for getting around after dusk (or in the wee hours of the morning for us rope-droppers!) You may also think about a basket or backpack or something in case you want to tote stuff around on said bikes (pool towels, snacks from the shops, etc.)

Plus, fishing gear for sure for my crew.

http://www.amazon.com/Razor-EcoSmar...489&sr=8-1&keywords=electric+scooter+ecosmart

Our electric scooters! This was our alternative to the golf cart and it worked perfectly for us. DH and I each have one and our dd's are still small enough that they can just stand in front of us, one dd on each scooter. We used them to get to the camp store, the pool, the boat dock, etc.

At one point I was told by a security guard that I should be on the sidewalk with it. But the sidewalks at the fort are crazy twisty and it was too difficult to ride on them on this. This scooter goes about 18 mph so it stays up to sped with the golf carts and we stayed on the roads with no problems.

I had several people ask if we had rented them there and two different CM's ask if they could try it out (one of which actually did! one night I went up to the check in building at the outpost to ask a question and a gentleman CM just coming outside was very pleased when I told him he could take it for a spin while I was inside).

Anyhoo, I've included the link to amazon for it in case anyone is interested. We get so much use out of these at campgrounds, it's more than paid for itself imo. taking trash to the dumpsters, getting ice from the camp stores, getting to the pools, it's wonderful!

I have to ask, did you park these at the marina in golf cart area or the bike racks? Did you chain them up? Thanks

I have to ask, did you park these at the marina in golf cart area or the bike racks? Did you chain them up? Thanks

We parked them on the bike racks and yes I did use a bike lock that we had brought with us and chained them up. They just have an off/on switch, not a key, so it would be extremely easy for somebody to ride off on it if not locked up. The nice thing about the marina is the bike racks were closer to the dock than the golf cart parking which was always full while we were there. Also parked it on the bike racks at the pool, the meadows camp store, and the bike racks up by the bus stop when going to parks.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter