Campground Etiquette?

stobaugh6

Mouseketeer
My family and I will be at The Fort in 27 days! We are not experienced campers, but we are super excited to have this new experience with our children. We have talked about vacationing at Ft Wilderness for about 5 years now. We are renting a travel trailer for 8 days.

I know most of you are experienced campers. Would you mind sharing with me the camping etiquette? I'm sure most of it is common sense, but maybe there are some things that aren't for people who have never been camping? Thanks!

Heather

No dynamite fishing after 10pm
Please keep your coyote from howling if there is a full moon
Do not lock your beer cooler, trying to break into it might wake the neighbors
Feed the wildlife, especially the squirrels
I like my steaks medium rare and my burgers with some Lipton onion soup mix.
If you see my wife put her hands on her hips and stare at me...please come save me
Always share your leftover coffee (Vince, that's for you)
Otherwise just smile, wave, and say hello

Last edited:
Got it! And we will probably leave the coyotes here in Texas, so at least I don't have to worry about that. Lol! Thanks!☺️

Heather

Seriously, if you are from Texas you already have a good idea of Southern Hospitality, just bring it with you and treat everybody like they are your good neighbors. (because for that time, they really are).

Just a side story, but on my first trip to the Fort in 2012 I was parked right next to what appeared to be a $150,000 rig from Pennsylvania. Now, for ant control, I use Vaseline on my stabilizers and around my axles between the wheels and springs. Ants won't cross the stuff. Well anyway, so, I'm under my camper, with paramedic gloves on (I work in an emergency department) so the vaseline doesn't get all over my hands. I hear this guy ask, "Son, what ya doing under there?".

Now, I already know he is from Pennsylvania and he has probably seen my tag from Mississippi, and here I am with rubber gloves and vaseline under a camper. I can hear in my head the redneck jokes. I tried to explain as best as I could but could tell by his expression that I was going to be talked about to his friends at home in a bad way. I just let it go.

Two days later there comes a tapping at my door. It's him...and he asks if I have any left because the ants were running off with his crackers next door. I just smiled and gave him the container and some rubber gloves and let it go at that. We laughed and talked everyday for the rest of that visit.

Just keep an open mind and be generous.

Even with the Vaseline...

A couple I've heard complaints about are....Don't cut through other people's sites. Be sure to park your vehicle well inside the drive so as not to impede departing/arriving campers.

Tiggerdad, I can't decide if you're serious with the Vaseline, or if it's like the time as a kid when my BFF's dad sent us into the hardware store for a 'left handed screwdriver' because the 'right handed ones screw the wrong way'.

As far as etiquette, OP, traipsing through other's campsites, excessive noise, and not picking up after pets are most people's biggest complaints IMO.

Common sense isnt as common as it used to be. The cutting through the sites is a biggie for me. I think the fact that you took the time to ask the question indicates you probably already are a good neighbor.

StormyCA, it works like a charm. Also, it doesn't wash away when it rains. It is a bugger to clean off when you get home, typically takes a pressure washer.

You say you're not experienced campers, the campers at the Fort will make sure you are by the time you leave. I'd say give it about 2 or 3 months and you'll find yourself at the nearest RV dealer looking at them. Then when you need advice on what to look for in a camper, we'll be right here waitin' for ya. Have fun on your trip and post pics or a trip report if you can. We all love a trip report.

Two days later there comes a tapping at my door. It's him...and he asks if I have any left because the ants were running off with his crackers next door. I just smiled and gave him the container and some rubber gloves and let it go at that.

I don't mean to hijack the thread, but is this really a thing? Our first FW stay is in August. I haven't seen anyone else in the camping board mention any issues with ants.

Don't make noise during Quiet Time hours. Loud voices and slamming of cupboard doors can be heard through your neighbors tent material....all your neighbors will know who you are and what you are doing, LOL. I think anyone cutting through another site should be shot...or at least hosed down :)

I don't mean to hijack the thread, but is this really a thing? Our first FW stay is in August. I haven't seen anyone else in the camping board mention any issues with ants.

We camped at the Fort back in 2013 and are going again this August, we are tent campers and never had a problem with ants!

Ants aren't typically bad at Fort Wilderness, rare cases people will have some issues, but I never have. Maybe he just had some really good crackers.

Back to more input: I agree that cutting through sites is not polite and can be dangerous if they have a dog leashed up.

Agree on the cutting threw sites. Also we had site 101 a few years ago and had to call security because some parents let there kids play basketball at 11:30 pm (the court is behind site 101). Also had ants for the first time last April on site 114. Was really annoying!

Agree on the cutting threw sites. Also we had site 101 a few years ago and had to call security because some parents let there kids play basketball at 11:30 pm (the court is behind site 101). Also had ants for the first time last April on site 114. Was really annoying!

We had site 101 two years ago and did get rather tired of the 'thump, thump, thump'!! We use sound machines so never noticed if they were playing late at night.

Just left site 114 a few days ago - was there two weeks and never noticed any ants. In fact, since being campers at FW for many years have never had a problem. Hope our luck holds - just never think about pre treating for them - would be awful to get ants inside the mh. :scared:

No dynamite fishing after 10pm
Please keep your coyote from howling if there is a full moon
Do not lock your beer cooler, trying to break into it might wake the neighbors
Feed the wildlife, especially the squirrels
I like my steaks medium rare and my burgers with some Lipton onion soup mix.
If you see my wife put her hands on her hips and stare at me...please come save me
Always share your leftover coffee (Vince, that's for you)
Otherwise just smile, wave, and say hello

Now i seriously had to laugh out loud at that one!! My husband says i do that all the time!! lol

Cut-throughs were an issue a couple years ago when I stayed in loop 2000 and there was a group in the Creekside Meadow group site and overflow from the group around me in 2000. I was in-between and it was like I was invisible.

The other thing I will add is good manners about respecting and observing the quiet time hours 10pm-7am. I'm okay with the loud party or the outdoor tv or the amplified music to some degree (even the drunks if they keep to themselves) but at 10pm (or earlier for some of us) there can be people trying to sleep in tents in all site types or enjoying the fresh air through an open window.

So after 10pm please tone it down.

Bama Ed

Cutting through campsites is a biggie for me. I hate it and fortunately haven't ever had a problem at the Fort.

The other thing I hate is when pet owners... i.e. DOG owners (cause who would do this with their cat, bird, rabbit hamster, ferret, etc.) either leave them tied up alone outside while the dog barks it's head off, OR they let the dog run freely. When I had a dog and she was outside, she would always be on a leash. I did NOT want someone's dog running freely up to mine before I knew if it was male, female, neutered, spayed, aggressive, friendly, etc. Two different times my dog was bitten in these situations, once by someone who told me not to worry, their dog is friendly!

Cut-throughs were an issue a couple years ago when I stayed in loop 2000 and there was a group in the Creekside Meadow group site and overflow from the group around me in 2000. I was in-between and it was like I was invisible.

The other thing I will add is good manners about respecting and observing the quiet time hours 10pm-7am. I'm okay with the loud party or the outdoor tv or the amplified music to some degree (even the drunks if they keep to themselves) but at 10pm (or earlier for some of us) there can be people trying to sleep in tents in all site types or enjoying the fresh air through an open window.

So after 10pm please tone it down.

Bama Ed

The worst is people that check in late and have a large number of huge bags full of aluminum tent poles that they for some reason they to dump out and kick around Until 2am.

Thought we could kind of get back at them the next morning during non quiet hours but no they were up and out before 7 am. :(

It was Ohiopyle State park in PA and a lot of campers get up early to go white water rafting.

Oh never saw a tent.:headache:

aluminum tent poles that they for some reason they to dump out and kick around Until 2am...Oh never saw a tent.:headache:
I'm guessing they couldn't figure it out and gave up.

For the OP, Tiggerdad nailed most of the important items in his first post. The only thing I'll add is if you see a middle aged guy walking past, hand him a beer!

And I have to ask. The 3 girls in your avatar. Mom and 2 daughters or 3 daughters? I really can't tell.

j

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter