Cameras

Michele51274

Earning My Ears
Hi we are arriving in a couple days and I was wondering what people do to keep belongings safe while in the pool/water areas. I know I'll want to keep a camera handy to take pictures but was wondering if there are lockers to keep them in when swimming..I wasn't sure what people usually do..or will I just have to run them back to the room? Thanks! °o°

i bought a kyss bag, which comes with a chain and combo lock that you can use to secure your stuff to a beach chair, pole, anything stationary. it was great as i was able to leave my iphone inside while we were hanging out in the pool, ocean, etc.

i read the reviews here before purchasing it. ended up ordering the medium because i heard they run a little big. it was perfect for our vacation!

Thanks! That looks perfect! We are leaving Friday morning so I won't be able to order one for this trip but will definitely keep it in mind for future trips :)

I worried about the same thing and find it odd that they do not have lockers! My trip is next month, so I decided instead of lugging my phone or my expensive DSLR around during the day while in the water, we would get a waterproof camera. I also found a small floating wallet (at sports authority) that I am going to attach to the floating strap of my camera for my room key, etc. Everything else I will have will be items that aren't super expensive and that I will leave by the pool chairs (like sunscreen, etc). Hoping to use my DSLR in the evenings after we are done swimming, etc. and maybe capture some sunsets. Still cannot believe they don't offer some sort of locker for valuables near the pool/beach.

We used a waterproof camera and a waterproof pouch (for room key), applied sunblock and left that in the room.

When we came out of the ocean and were having a snack on the beach loungers, the disney security detailed showed up. A young couple sitting a few chairs down had just arrived a few hours earlier for their honeymoon, stashed husband's wallet under a towel and took a quick dip in the water.

Their stuff made a quick disappearance. The security guard told them it happens often. It is a public beach and he said people are hanging out watching for the opportunity.

There is a gate to the pool area but the 9 days that we were there, it was never closed and did not require the key card for entry so I would not assume the pool area is anymore secure.

We used a waterproof camera and a waterproof pouch (for room key), applied sunblock and left that in the room.

When we came out of the ocean and were having a snack on the beach loungers, the disney security detailed showed up. A young couple sitting a few chairs down had just arrived a few hours earlier for their honeymoon, stashed husband's wallet under a towel and took a quick dip in the water.

Their stuff made a quick disappearance. The security guard told them it happens often. It is a public beach and he said people are hanging out watching for the opportunity.

There is a gate to the pool area but the 9 days that we were there, it was never closed and did not require the key card for entry so I would not assume the pool area is anymore secure.
I'm sure you were trying to imply anything, but there is no way to know that it is locals who are stealing stuff. Aulani guests also steal. Even if the gate were always locked and even if they checked room keys, the pool area wouldn't be any more secure than the beach area, and you'd still have the fellow guests looking for any opportunity to steal your things. Just like they do at WDW.

I bought a waterproof case for
My phone and will probably just use that when we are hanging out by the water and go back for my dslr when I'm able to stay with it :) I know I'll have plenty of time to take loads of pictures much to my teenage boys' dismay Lol

I bought one of those waterproof pouches that fits my phone (and room key). I plan to just keep that on me. I'll use my DSLR other times when I won't be getting in the water and keep it on me or run it back to my room.

I bought the Joto waterproof cases on amazon before we left and used that for my room key, phone, cash and a credit card if we left Aulani. And honestly - it was kind of irritating just wearing that around some of the time! DH didn't bother to use it more than once or twice but then he has those little swim trunks pockets you can stash the room key in. We women are not so lucky. If I were you, and taking photos with a real camera is important - plan to do that certain days/times, and leave it behind in your room the rest of the time so you can really enjoy yourself otherwise. Next time, I'm leaving my phone in the room safe at least half the time and just living in the moment! (And this is why magic bands would be so nice there, sigh. Stupid room key. The kids have magic bands for Aunty's anyway, leading to that overly complicated room key/magic band check-in.)

Hi we are arriving in a couple days and I was wondering what people do to keep belongings safe while in the pool/water areas. I know I'll want to keep a camera handy to take pictures but was wondering if there are lockers to keep them in when swimming..I wasn't sure what people usually do..or will I just have to run them back to the room? Thanks! °o°

We used the waterproof neck pouches for phones and room keys, etc, they worked very nicely. I guess it's too late for you now, but we also used an "AquaVault", which is the coolest thing ever! It is basically a plastic box with a combination lock that locks around a bar on your beach chair (or wherever) so you can leave stuff in it while you're in the water. Beats leaving stuff under a towel! https://theaquavault.com/

Wonder how the CMs handle things locked to the chair if you leave it there for an hour unattended? Normally they move everything to lost and found at one hour, but they would not be able to if it were locked to the chair?

Wonder how the CMs handle things locked to the chair if you leave it there for an hour unattended? Normally they move everything to lost and found at one hour, but they would not be able to if it were locked to the chair?
Honestly, with the new policy, they are much stricter, and I wouldn't be inclined to test it.

Honestly, with the new policy, they are much stricter, and I wouldn't be inclined to test it.

I was wondering this myself. I just bought a new KYSS bag that I've been planning on using just to secure our stuff while we're gone. While I don't expect to abandon our chair all day and I fully support the lounge chair policy, what if I'm floating around the lazy river or sitting on the edge of the pool with a drink in hand? Do I need to walk back to the chair if it's nearing 60 minutes and check in with a CM so they don't cut my bag off?

Not to hijack, but my second question is whether there is any place to leave your stuff while you go in the pool/lazy river that's NOT a chair? I'd be fine with putting it somewhere and not holding up a chair - do they have lockers or cubbies or anything like that nearby? Or would it be easy to leave it behind a chair somewhere out of the way?

I was wondering this myself. I just bought a new KYSS bag that I've been planning on using just to secure our stuff while we're gone. While I don't expect to abandon our chair all day and I fully support the lounge chair policy, what if I'm floating around the lazy river or sitting on the edge of the pool with a drink in hand? Do I need to walk back to the chair if it's nearing 60 minutes and check in with a CM so they don't cut my bag off?

Not to hijack, but my second question is whether there is any place to leave your stuff while you go in the pool/lazy river that's NOT a chair? I'd be fine with putting it somewhere and not holding up a chair - do they have lockers or cubbies or anything like that nearby? Or would it be easy to leave it behind a chair somewhere out of the way?
No lockers or cubbies except in the cabanas that you rent. You just need to go back now and then and move your stuff around on your chair to show that you're still around, and didn't, like, head to the beach while all your stuff is still by the pool. You don't have to talk to a CM, just shift your own stuff around to show you've been there, particularly the towels.

We only left flip-flops and towels on the chairs, never anything valuable. We were even on the 15th floor in Ewa overlooking the lawn, probably about as far away as you can get from the pools/beach, but it only took a few minutes to go back to our room. The rooms do have safes in them. We thought it was easiest to leave valuables in the room.

I really don't think they WANT to take stuff off chairs. But I also saw them mediating issues between guests, so having a clear policy means less of that nonsense.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter