Came home with more than just memories........

My family was there 6/12-6/18. I just tested positive with Covid, despite vaccinated & double boosted. Stayed at RPR. We masked on flights down & back with KN95, but did some indoor dining and queues without masks.

I’m the only one to test positive currently but that could change. First time anyone in my immediate family tested positive.

I have no doubt I got it on vacation.

We came home June 8, I felt off on the plane, I tested positive on June 10, DH the next day. We wore masks on the planes/airports but not at Disney. It was more like a flu, several days of fever, DH got hit more with cough and tiredness. We are vaxed and boosted. No picnic.

Our good friends did a combo WDW/Universal trip, came home June 20 and both got it as well.

We traveled to WDW last August (masks required indoors) no issues or illness. We also went to DL in March, masks optional (not many masked including ourselves) and did not get it.

We came home June 8, I felt off on the plane, I tested positive on June 10, DH the next day. We wore masks on the planes/airports but not at Disney. It was more like a flu, several days of fever, DH got hit more with cough and tiredness. We are vaxed and boosted. No picnic.

Our good friends did a combo WDW/Universal trip, came home June 20 and both got it as well.

We traveled to WDW last August (masks required indoors) no issues or illness. We also went to DL in March, masks optional (not many masked including ourselves) and did not get it.
yep, it sure is going around.........glad it's more on the milder side. I never ran fever but, DH did. Mine worst was the cough, I thought I would never get rid of it.
hope you & your family are getting better!!!

I couldn't believe it when we managed not to get it on our Spring Break trip to UO/IOA in April when almost 95% of other guests were maskless, even though we did always eat outdoors and wore masks in lines. Our boosters were fresher then, though, and I wonder if that helped. But of course our whole household got it when the kids picked it up at school two weeks after the school dropped masking, which they chose to do in June when school was about to get out anyway. :sick:

Yep, add me to this list. My first time getting it. I got it and my daughter got it. My husband, son, and daughter's friend all seem to be spared.
It's not fun, but not horrible. Feels like a bad head cold for me. The worst is the head congestion. I have a very mild cough. My daughter has more mild head congestion and bit more of a cough.
I am on Paxlovid (daughter is not), and side effects are awful. Horrible taste in your mouth and diarrhea from it.

it was just opposite of how paxlovid was for me
I was really helped by it !
Oh, I think it helped my COVID symptoms and I am still glad I am taking it. I'm not stopping it for sure. It is known to have bad side effects, and I am just one of the unlucky people who got hit with them. But I can survive a bad taste in my mouth and other issues for a few days if it makes the COVID stuff better, which it is.
I would definitely encourage anyone diagnosed to seek it out.
I'm glad you didn't get any of the side effects too!

Oh, I think it helped my COVID symptoms and I am still glad I am taking it. I'm not stopping it for sure. It is known to have bad side effects, and I am just one of the unlucky people who got hit with them. But I can survive a bad taste in my mouth and other issues for a few days if it makes the COVID stuff better, which it is.
That's going to depend on a lot of factors. When DH & I had covid in May after our Orlando trip, it was so mild it could have been allergies. We are 60 and 68, but not serious case and no drugs necessary. Our kids got it a bit later and their symptoms were worse.

(Oops look like I said much the same on this thread in early June. But I don't think everyone with covid needs to seek out paxlovid.)

Hope you get better soon!

We are leaving in 2 weeks from today. My cousin lives in Florida and was telling me how bad it is there with Covid. I’m starting to get very nervous. We all had it In January ( I was really sick, missed 2 weeks of work) but no one knows how long/if you are protected by any natural immunity. :sad2: I got it 2 months after my booster in November.

I just got back Thursday night by plane. We went to Universal and Disney from June 12-28, no masks and so far no Covid. I’m flying to Thailand September 1. I figured that I will be in the air 26 hours and at airports 28 hours, so I’ll be wearing an N 95 mask as much as possible, except when eat and drinking. And when I do that, I’ll try to do it at least 6 feet away from anyone. Covid cases are increasing and the last thing that I need is to arrive in Thailand visably sick, and put in a 10 day quarantine.

I am part of a study where antibody levels and all kinds of things are studied (I provide blood, saliva and an anterior nares swab). Anyway I have not had Covid that I am aware of and had my booster 11/3/21. I have not yet gotten the second booster. I go in Tuesday to have that testing done. I am super curious to see what if any antibodies I have left. We leave for Florida in a little under 2 weeks. I just have to pray I don’t catch it before then. It is a 4 day long trip so hopefully I will be home before I have symptoms if I do end up catching it. It is very prevalent here in Ohio. I have been exposed a ton at work but as a nurse I am mostly masked there. It has been coworkers as much as or more than patients. My daughter had it (almost positive an early Omicron in January as she just had a few sneezes and laryngitis) and I did not catch it (pcr tested a few times during and after she had it ). I feel like I inevitably will catch it and most likely one of the two upcoming Florida trips. I think we will mask in airports and planes at least.

Well, now my 85 yr old mother has covid (not from me thankfully). She is on Paxlovid and does have those side effects >:( and for an 85 year old, that isn't fun. But, tomorrow is her last day on it!!
Her covid symptoms are pretty mild......she's just mad about the side effects...LOL.

Hope everyone is getting over it!! My case 1st of June wasn't too bad except the terrible coughing.
We are going back to Universal in Oct & Nov.......I plan on wearing mask on the planes, for sure.

I am part of a study where antibody levels and all kinds of things are studied (I provide blood, saliva and an anterior nares swab). Anyway I have not had Covid that I am aware of and had my booster 11/3/21. I have not yet gotten the second booster. I go in Tuesday to have that testing done. I am super curious to see what if any antibodies I have left. We leave for Florida in a little under 2 weeks. I just have to pray I don’t catch it before then. It is a 4 day long trip so hopefully I will be home before I have symptoms if I do end up catching it. It is very prevalent here in Ohio. I have been exposed a ton at work but as a nurse I am mostly masked there. It has been coworkers as much as or more than patients. My daughter had it (almost positive an early Omicron in January as she just had a few sneezes and laryngitis) and I did not catch it (pcr tested a few times during and after she had it ). I feel like I inevitably will catch it and most likely one of the two upcoming Florida trips. I think we will mask in airports and planes at least.

Fingers crossed you don’t get it on either trip!

I am also exposed at work , we all had Covid in January (the weeks following the holidays when everyone seemed to have it). But no one seems to know how long that immunity lasts - 3 months? 6 months? A year?

We are going to universal and Disney next week and I’m very worried about us catching it there. I have friends who recently went and got Covid there. My mom’s immuno- compromised so I don’t want any of us to get sick there and bring something home to her.p

Fingers crossed you don’t get it on either trip!

I am also exposed at work , we all had Covid in January (the weeks following the holidays when everyone seemed to have it). But no one seems to know how long that immunity lasts - 3 months? 6 months? A year?

We are going to universal and Disney next week and I’m very worried about us catching it there. I have friends who recently went and got Covid there. My mom’s immuno- compromised so I don’t want any of us to get sick there and bring something home to her.p

good luck to you too! My spike protein antibodies were still greater than 2080 which is as high as they measure. Sadly that really means nothing as far as catching omicron. Interesting that I still had so many with my last vaccine (booster) 11/2021

I am on Paxlovid (daughter is not), and side effects are awful. Horrible taste in your mouth and diarrhea from it.
YMMV, was instructed to proactively take low dose of Imodium with it.
My mom’s immuno- compromised so I don’t want any of us to get sick there and bring something home to her.p
You could just as easily get sick when back at home, five days later. Suggest having her perhaps ‘self-isolate’ through that time, perhaps even all take a covid test on day 5:confused3

Recently returned from a 15 night trip, 2 at Universal 13 at WDW. 5 of the 12 of use came down with it during the trip and another after.

We all wore masks on the plane and some of us in the more crowded indoor areas. But masks are more effective at reducing the chance you will give it to someone else than they are at keeping you from getting it, so I didn't expect a lot of benefit from that given the low% of people wearing them.

I took Paxlovid, the bad aftertaste was the only negative side effect for me. Fortunately our trip was long enough that some of use were able to rejoin the activities after the isolation period. All cases there were mild. My BIL came down soon after returning and probably had the worst symptoms, he described it as full-on flu symptoms. He was not eligible for Paxlovid, but he has pretty much recovered now.

Paxlovid is only recommended for people who are at high risk for developing severe symptoms that could lead to hospitalization. If you under the age of 50 and do not suffer from commodities like Asthma, COPD, Diabetes, certain Heart conditions, BMI of greater than 25 or are a smoker, then you probably don’t need Paxlovid. It’s a very good antiviral for the appropriate patient. The goal is to keep the high risk population out of the hospital.

You could just as easily get sick when back at home, five days later. Suggest having her perhaps ‘self-isolate’ through that time, perhaps even all take a covid test on day 5:confused3
Yes, incubation period is 2-14 days (with most showing symptoms by day 5), so if bringing it back to someone high risk is a concern its probably a good idea to self-isolate from that person after returning for at least 5 days, and maybe even a week or two. The nature of travel and theme parks is you will be indoors in some crowded rooms numerous times, so the risk is higher than many other (but of course not all) normal everyday situations.

Had it bad last spring , hospitialized in Mayo and on supplemental oxygen. They gave me everything in the book and had ports in both arms for infusions and antis. Got shots but no booster yet.
I'm around crowds, in planes and restaurants regulary and haven't had a sniffle since last spring.
A GF half my age and healthier and with less exposure has had it 3 times with shots. That unpredictability makes it so crazy and difficult to guess how far/long to isolate from people and what precautions are necessary.
Hope everyone gets better soon without any lingering issues.🙏🙏🙏

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter