Calling an Aus mobile in the US/ texting

StephAus

Earning My Ears
Ok, so I've only just got calling the US from my landline down pat. But what happens if I need to use my mobile when we are over there.

What if I need to call my sister's mobile (who will be over there with me)?
Do I need to put all the country codes, etc. to call/text a mobile in Aus?

I'm confused :confused3

Yes, you need to call her as if you are making an international call to Australia. ie +61 area code number

If you are going to be using your phone for any calls within the states then I would seriously think about a prepaid mobile which you can get anywhere and pretty cheap. We have had some pretty scary bills and we barely used our phones.

Thanks for that. But phones are for emergencies only. I didn't want to be stuck over there in an emergency and not know how to call anyone, again...:rolleyes1

If you are going to be using your phone for any calls within the states then I would seriously think about a prepaid mobile which you can get anywhere and pretty cheap.

Thats exactly what we did. Bought the phone for 20 bucks (I think) then a $50 card. Used it a lot (not for phoning home), and it still had credit on it when we left.

Just a few things to remember if using an Australian based mobile

1. Make sure you have international roaming activated on your phone
2. MAke sure the phone is a tri-band phone older mobiles may not work in US. Learnt this years ago with a dual band phone which was common in Australia.
3. When dialling back to Australia 0011 61 Area code without the leading 0 then the phone number
4. If your mobile is setup correctly with international codes etc you can dial straight from your contact lists.

Just wondering if anyone knows...if sending an sms in states using an Aus-based phone, are the rates the same? Does the number you are texting to make a difference? ie to a us phone or another Aus phone?

The rates are definitely not the same. Not sure about the differences in rates if you are texting a US or Oz phone. However you get charged international rates. Maybe call your phone company and ask them to send you the info. We used texting a lot especially when I would go and my DH stayed here. We had huge bills and barely spoke!

Just wondering if anyone knows...if sending an sms in states using an Aus-based phone, are the rates the same? Does the number you are texting to make a difference? ie to a us phone or another Aus phone?

When we were in WDW last year I texted a friend who was also in WDW, both of us were Aussies using our phones from home, we paid about $1/text to each other. I didn't really mind because we only texted a couple of times, but if it was my DD or DS whoa... there bills would have been huge...:rotfl:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter