Calling all Service Dog Owners!

tmclanton

Mouseketeer
I am hoping that you wonderful Disers can help my son out with a school project! A little background... my son is 5 years old and is in Kindergarten. I am taking him out of school for 1 week in December, but I want him to understand that he still has do his work while on vacation. Every six weeks the teachers gives the all the kids in the class a list of assignments they can do... kind of like extra credit, but really to get the kids to love to learn new things! One of the topics on the list was, "Research to find out how service animals help people." My son very quickly decided that he wanted to do that one since I now have a service dog.
After thinking about it, I realized that I can try to do this assignment at Disney World and make it fun for him and the kids in the class. My initial thought was we could politely ask people with service dogs if we can ask them a few questions about their dog and see if they wouldn't mind us taking a picture of them or just their dog. Then I started getting concerned that I may not see a lot of service dogs there, people may not want to be bothered, or my son may not go up to someone and ask (I am profoundly deaf and it is difficult for people to understand me sometimes.)

I am also planning on taking my dog to his class and stressing the importance of not petting a service animal while it is working!!! Also, Bella, my sevice dog, is also a certified Therapy Dog and a certified Reading Education Assistance Dog (I got her certified in those while I was training her as a service dog). I am going to take her to the Deaf Ed classes at my son's school and let the Deaf Ed. kids read to her! It will be a fun day!

Thanks,
Tammy

I don't know how many SDs go to Disney in a year, but I don't recall ever seeing one there (other than my own). So, you may not come across another SD team while there. I hardly ever come across another team while I am out anywhere - two guide dogs in two different restaurants and two other SDs (or an SD and a pet being passed as an SD) on a plane is what I can recall within the past few years.

There are many Internet sites your son can go on to do research about SDs. Start him on www.iaadp.org and www.adionline.org and www.deltasociety.org . You can Google search for a lot of different sites, including program SD sites, but beware of misinformation on some sites (like the sites that try to scam people by selling fake "certification").

We live nearby and visit WDW often and usually see at least one other SD team in the parks. On our last visit we saw another black lab who was a hearing dog and puppy in training (who was with the hearing dog) in Toontown at MK. I will admit though that I do get tired of answering questions even if it's well-meaning parents trying to educate their children. When I'm there, I'm trying to relax and be "on vacation". As any SD owner realizes, there are constant requests to pet our dog or explain what our dog does for us which happen every time we're in public. People do need to know and it's a healthy curiosity....but it does get tiring once you've been asked over and over all day long and esp. during your family vacation. My kids usually end up getting really frustrated and ask me why people think it's okay to approach me for a lesson. This is just my opinion and I don't mean to sound grumpy. I've never *not* answered someone cheerfully and there may be plenty of guests who love to talk about their SD's whenever and wherever they are. :-)---Kathy

We live nearby and visit WDW often and usually see at least one other SD team in the parks. On our last visit we saw another black lab who was a hearing dog and puppy in training (who was with the hearing dog) in Toontown at MK. I will admit though that I do get tired of answering questions even if it's well-meaning parents trying to educate their children. When I'm there, I'm trying to relax and be "on vacation". As any SD owner realizes, there are constant requests to pet our dog or explain what our dog does for us which happen every time we're in public. People do need to know and it's a healthy curiosity....but it does get tiring once you've been asked over and over all day long and esp. during your family vacation. My kids usually end up getting really frustrated and ask me why people think it's okay to approach me for a lesson. This is just my opinion and I don't mean to sound grumpy. I've never *not* answered someone cheerfully and there may be plenty of guests who love to talk about their SD's whenever and wherever they are. :-)---Kathy

Kathy,
Thank you so much for your honest answer. I completely understand your feelings. I just recently got my service dog and I already get tired of answering questions. Although I do understand their curiosity and how endearing my precious dog is... she is really cute! I do see how that would get annoying and have never approached another person with a dog... unless I saw they were Deaf and were signing and then all bets are off! I feel for your kids on vacation and this has solidified that my first idea was not very well thought out!
Part of my message got erased my the moderators for asking a couple of questions (I did not know it was inappropriate to put a survey in here... now I know and I am waiting for permission to proceed.) I mention that because in the part that was deleated, I had come up with an alternative to asking people in the parks... and instead asking questions here. Once I get permission, or get the information revised to post "legally" I will and then hopefully I will be able to get the information that I think would be neat.

Thanks again for your answer... I think it really puts it into perspective!
Tammy

I don't know how many SDs go to Disney in a year, but I don't recall ever seeing one there (other than my own). So, you may not come across another SD team while there. I hardly ever come across another team while I am out anywhere - two guide dogs in two different restaurants and two other SDs (or an SD and a pet being passed as an SD) on a plane is what I can recall within the past few years.

There are many Internet sites your son can go on to do research about SDs. Start him on www.iaadp.org and www.adionline.org and www.deltasociety.org . You can Google search for a lot of different sites, including program SD sites, but beware of misinformation on some sites (like the sites that try to scam people by selling fake "certification").

You know, now that you mention it, I think we only saw 1 service dog when I was there last... he was really cute with mouse ears on. I am working on an alternative to asking people in the park.
Thanks,
Tammy

I think this is very well said-We experience this alot due to other visible differences. People feel it is ok to approach and ask some very personal (and dumb) questions. And we just want to be a "family enjoying the park".

To the OP-perhaps your son could do some research with some library books? I think there is also a Clifford episode with a service dog, that may help his research.

It would also be nice to show from his viewpoint how his mom's dog helps her. I only remember seeing at DLR one time a dog in training and once at DCA. You could have him observe without interrupting the person like a person observes from afar a cat or wolf. Youu could check locally for a service group that does therapy like at nursing homes.

Any kid and/or its parents can go to the library and/or internet to do the research but like wow a report from a first hand viewpoint is great. He could talk about the things the dog did for you on the trip.

I wouldn't mind at all answering questions online here. We have been asked several times by our SD organization to give presentations/demonstrations which are also something I enjoy when I plan in advance and can set my time aside. Recently Skye and I gave three separate speeches at an Amvets conference here in Orlando. I really appreciate everyone understanding where I was coming from and glad the OP has thought of an alternative to help her son. I'll bet he gets an A+!---Kathy

I think he could do part of the project on the internet, posting the questions he wanted to ask on forums like this to get people's answers.

I also thought of a WDW project that would be fun, instructional and I think interesting.
I know that you realize Service animals are not allowed on certain attractions.
For other attractions, the SD user is asked to check with the CM first.
Here's a link to the Disney page that gives that information.
What about a project that looks at the access?

For the project, you could make a small table, with a column for whether or not SDs are allowed in that attraction and another column for your son to review the attractions and put why he thinks they are not.
Sometimes it's easy to tell why not; for example SOARIN' is 20-40 feet off the ground with no place for the SD to sit. For some, it may be harder to figure out - there are no wrong answers since WDW doesn't publish the reasons. He could get the information about which attractions SDs are not allowed on be looking in the link I posted. Another way to find out would be to look at the information signs in front of each attraction.
Or, he could guess after the he has been on and then see if he was right.

Another thing he could do would be to make a 'dog rating' of each attraction. Buy some small dog stickers or stamps and he could rate each attraction - no dogs for ones dogs can't go on. 3 dogs for very good ones.
Or maybe a red circle for things dogs would not like, a green circle for things that would be good and a yellow triangle for things that may or may not be good.
If he does some interviews on line, he could ask what sorts of things that person's SD doesn't care for and then use that information to make his 'dog rating.

My guide dog and I only came across 1 other SD while at WDW for 6 days. It happened to be another guide dog from my school, which was pretty cool. I agree with what the other have posted...."Jolene" and I have only been together since September and I am already sick of the questions. I don't mind educating, teaching, sharing, etc, but not when I'm on vacation!!!!! I get enough questions from people that happen to end up next to me and cast members, restruant staff, and even hotel staff. In fact, it cracked me up, we stayed for a couple of nights near West Palm Beach and the second morning that we were there the receptionist came out from behind his desk and asked me, "what kind of a service dog is that?" Which I found really funny because 1. she is totally labeled "guide dog for the blind" and 2. I was trying to find the door handle and was off by about a foot (glass door with glass walls are even confusing for poor Jolene). But all the same...I am HAPPY to answer questions on the internet or talk to people about it (when I have time and am not running late or trying to catch black friday sales or etc. :-))

Maybe I'm just forgetting it (entirely possible with my memory disability ;)), but I don't think too many ppl at Disney asked my questions about my SD. Not like they do on a trip to a store.

The only thing that bothered me at Disney was the family last year who took a photo of my SD without my permission and then loudly announced to their son that they did it (they apparently took the photo for him - maybe he likes dogs or something, I don't know). That's just rude. If you want a photo, just ask! I've said yes to three ppl in one day before (not at Disney) and gave permission to a person who did ask later that same Disney trip, so if I'm not in a hurry or something, I will almost certainly give permission. But doing it without asking and then loudly announcing that you did it is just plain rude! I'm sure they wouldn't like it if I went and took a photo of their son like that! (LOL, maybe I should have and then loudly said to my dog that I took a photo of the kid for her, LOL!!!!)

Maybe I'm just forgetting it (entirely possible with my memory disability ;)), but I don't think too many ppl at Disney asked my questions about my SD. Not like they do on a trip to a store.

The only thing that bothered me at Disney was the family last year who took a photo of my SD without my permission and then loudly announced to their son that they did it (they apparently took the photo for him - maybe he likes dogs or something, I don't know). That's just rude. If you want a photo, just ask! I've said yes to three ppl in one day before (not at Disney) and gave permission to a person who did ask later that same Disney trip, so if I'm not in a hurry or something, I will almost certainly give permission. But doing it without asking and then loudly announcing that you did it is just plain rude! I'm sure they wouldn't like it if I went and took a photo of their son like that! (LOL, maybe I should have and then loudly said to my dog that I took a photo of the kid for her, LOL!!!!)

FWIW, there have been a couple threads here on the Dis lately with people stating (rudely in some cases) that they have the "right" to photograph whatever they want at Disney. This includes other peoples children etc.

Just because they can, doesn't mean it isn't rude. My SD is not at my side for ppl's wonderment and pleasure; she is there as my medical device.

And in this day and age, if I had a child, I would not want a person taking a photo of him/her 'cause you don't know who out there is a predator or what they are going to use it for (or what Web site they are going to post it on). You can't keep it from happening if the person is discrete about it, but they shouldn't be going around yelling that they took photos of such'n'such or so'n'so. I have heard many a ppl ask if they could take a photo of somebody's child doing something cute or whatnot - that's the right way to go about it.

I had one lady at a museum once, several years ago, actually say to me that it isn't fair that I can take my dog out but ppl can't pet her!!! :eek: (She didn't ask to pet her - she knew SDs shouldn't be distracted while working, so this wasn't just somebody upset about not getting her way.) Hmm, ya wanna know what isn't fair, lady?? ;)

I just don't get some ppl. :confused3

Just because they can, doesn't mean it isn't rude. My SD is not at my side for ppl's wonderment and pleasure; she is there as my medical device.

And in this day and age, if I had a child, I would not want a person taking a photo of him/her 'cause you don't know who out there is a predator or what they are going to use it for (or what Web site they are going to post it on). You can't keep it from happening if the person is discrete about it, but they shouldn't be going around yelling that they took photos of such'n'such or so'n'so. I have heard many a ppl ask if they could take a photo of somebody's child doing something cute or whatnot - that's the right way to go about it.

I had one lady at a museum once, several years ago, actually say to me that it isn't fair that I can take my dog out but ppl can't pet her!!! :eek: (She didn't ask to pet her - she knew SDs shouldn't be distracted while working, so this wasn't just somebody upset about not getting her way.) Hmm, ya wanna know what isn't fair, lady?? ;)

I just don't get some ppl. :confused3

I agree with you completely about the pictures. I find it VERY rude and was surprised people felt "entitled" to photograph what they wanted. Until I read your post I did not realize they included SD's.

I can't imagine someone fussing for not being able to pet a working animal-some people just have no clue. Every time my DD sees a SD in the park-she looks at me and tells me not to pet the animal-they are working.

(for the record I have never petted a working animal LOL) She "gets it", you would think a grown up would as well.

I have found that most children know more about SD's than adults and have more courtesy including knowing not to pet or distract my dog. My "favorite" person was the one in a queue line at Disney who told me as she reached down to pet Skye..." I know I'm not supposed to pet your dog but I can't help myself". Sigh....---Kathy

I also totally agree about the pictures. I had some super rude lady from a newspaper try to take our picture on black friday, and so I hid behind shelves etc so that she wouldn't have a clear shot (she was stuck in one spot pretty much because of her tripod). Then she gets mad at me! Ugh. Just because I have a SD doesn't mean I like attention, and I would have flipped if my picture was in the paper.

That stinks, Nalla. You'd think she'd have asked ANYBODY if they wished to have their photo taken for the paper! And not gotten mad if they moved out of the shot/didn't want to be in a photo.

I've had a couple TV news cameramen film my SD - one asked permission, but the other just went and stuck his camera right in my SD's face (like a few inches away from her) without ever saying a word! Good thing for him he didn't try that with somebody's aggressive pet - yikes!!

Why don't you call your service dog agency and ask if there are people there who would be willing to answer your son's questions? If he's five then the school couldn't expect a very big report.

My kids hate it when people come up and ask questions. They hate it when people say they have beautiful dogs. I can certainly understand. My goodness, people STARE. You can't go anywhere without people staring. People make comments about you all the time. Heck, we've heard strangers speak about the dogs. I've heard women telling their children that we're training guide dogs as if they knew what they were talking about.

There's a story about children and service dogs with a little video at the ECAD site.

http://www.ecad1.org

People stare at us all the time. People point a lot too. I've had know-it-alls say that Nalla is a seeing-eye-dog, a therapy dog, a blind dog, a deaf dog, and a bomb sniffing dog. Meh.
The pointing and staring gets old really fast. I'm always tempted to ask people if their parents ever told them that it's not polite to stare and point.

People stare at us all the time. People point a lot too. I've had know-it-alls say that Nalla is a seeing-eye-dog, a therapy dog, a blind dog, a deaf dog, and a bomb sniffing dog. Meh.
The pointing and staring gets old really fast. I'm always tempted to ask people if their parents ever told them that it's not polite to stare and point.

I took my 20 year old son to Target Friday evening. I saw a woman (not a lady, certainly) shopping down an aisle. After my son passed her she grabbed her four or five year old boy by the arm and pointed to my son. Geeze...talk about teaching your child to be rude!

A friend tells a story about going to a restaurant. There are 3 service dogs in her family. They heard a group at the next table discussing their dogs. The other diners couldn't decide if they had a "blind dog" ("no, they are reading menus" or a "deaf" dog ("no, they are talking to each other"). This group finally decided that the dogs were blind and they needed my friends to lead them around.

We've had people approach us while we were shopping. They wanted to know how they could get Fido certified as a service dog so they could bring him shopping. After all, Fido only rarely goes potty indoors. I always sweetly say, "Oh, are you disabled too?"

Sometimes.....

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter