Calling all Princesses! (2014 Princess half marathon board)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Has anyone heard whether we will be able to pre-purchase the Dooney & Bourke princess half marathon bags? Does anyone have a link to do that?

My mother-in-law, sister-in-law, and I are running the race together. We want to make sure we each get a purse, but we won't be there until Friday afternoon, and the Expo opens Thursday morning. princess:

Hello all! I'm excited that we're getting so close to February and the PHM.

This will be my very first Disney race and I have a couple of questions for those of you that have run them before.

I submitted a Half Marathon time back when I registered. My hubby is running the Half with me, but he has never run a race before. I'm also running the 10K.

I know that we'll have to be placed in the last corral for the PHM since he hasn't submitted a prior race time. Here are my questions...

1. About how many people do you believe are in the last corral?
2. How do I make sure that we're at the very front of the last corral?
3. I know buses start running at 3:30am. Do you all catch the buses right then?
4. I've heard that from drop off to the starting line is a LONG walk. Do you immediately line up in your corral as soon as you get there?
5. Regarding pictures along the course...do you think we'll have time to stop for a few of my favorite characters if we're in the last corral? I can usually maintain a 12 min mile, but I'm worried I'll get stuck in a huge crowd and miss out! :sad:
6. Do you all carry cameras or do you rely on your smart phones for pix during the race?

Sorry for all of the questions. We're just getting down to the nitty gritty. I'm a planner and I want to allow for the best experience ever in hopes that I'll be able to do another (Wine & Dine:rolleyes1) some day.

Looking forward to seeing everyone!
--Gretchen in Ks.

Hello all! I'm excited that we're getting so close to February and the PHM.

This will be my very first Disney race and I have a couple of questions for those of you that have run them before.

I submitted a Half Marathon time back when I registered. My hubby is running the Half with me, but he has never run a race before. I'm also running the 10K.

I know that we'll have to be placed in the last corral for the PHM since he hasn't submitted a prior race time. Here are my questions...

1. About how many people do you believe are in the last corral?
2. How do I make sure that we're at the very front of the last corral?
3. I know buses start running at 3:30am. Do you all catch the buses right then?
4. I've heard that from drop off to the starting line is a LONG walk. Do you immediately line up in your corral as soon as you get there?
5. Regarding pictures along the course...do you think we'll have time to stop for a few of my favorite characters if we're in the last corral? I can usually maintain a 12 min mile, but I'm worried I'll get stuck in a huge crowd and miss out! :sad:
6. Do you all carry cameras or do you rely on your smart phones for pix during the race?

Sorry for all of the questions. We're just getting down to the nitty gritty. I'm a planner and I want to allow for the best experience ever in hopes that I'll be able to do another (Wine & Dine:rolleyes1) some day.

Looking forward to seeing everyone!
--Gretchen in Ks.

Welcome.....and head on over to the new thread. This one paged out. BUt before you do, a few answers.

1) They are changing the number of corrals for the races this year--more of them, so the answer is TBD. This weekend's half marathon corral has ~2000, but that might not mean anything for Princess.

2)Just push your way (well,not literally!) to the front. Really, it's just a matter of excuse me, pardon me. I made it to the front of my corral in the Marathon Relay in 2012 cause I wanted to run a good time.

3)You want to catch a bus by 4, generally. For traffic reasons.

4)The walk from the bus staging area to the race staging area is a bit of a schlep. You are not allowed to go to the corrals right away. I don;t recall exactly what time they let runners head over, but there are plenty of (loud) announcements somewhere before 5 am

5) You would likely have time for a few pictures. You wouldn't be swept without warning, so you would have time to see where you were relative to the back of the race and stop when there was time.

6)Whatever you can carry--so you may want to invest in some kind of race belt.

Has anyone heard whether we will be able to pre-purchase the Dooney & Bourke princess half marathon bags? Does anyone have a link to do that?

My mother-in-law, sister-in-law, and I are running the race together. We want to make sure we each get a purse, but we won't be there until Friday afternoon, and the Expo opens Thursday morning. princess:

Yes you can pre order. Go to run Disney website and click on registration/commemorative items. Scroll down and link is there

Question about fuel along the route - I know the drink is powerade but what is the fuel source along the way? Anything? Would like to avoid a big belt.

Also anybody wearing a costume different than their bib?

My bib princess is Merida, but I'm going as Mary Poppins. :) This is only because I'm likely walking it, instead of racing it.

I am just coming back from a trip, so I am a little off schedule training-wise! I miss running! Waaaah!

Yesterday was my longest training run to date...14.55 miles! It felt pretty good, but toward the end and afterward, my legs were sore. I put on compression pants after my shower, wore them all day, then slept in them. I am still sore this morning. Does anyone have any advice?

Congratulations! This thread has been active quite a long time and has reached the limits permitted.

Please begin another thread and don't forget to link this thread from/to your new one. I will leave it open for a bit in order that this task can be accomplished.

Happy training everyone!

Welcome.....and head on over to the new thread. This one paged out. BUt before you do, a few answers.

1) They are changing the number of corrals for the races this year--more of them, so the answer is TBD. This weekend's half marathon corral has ~2000, but that might not mean anything for Princess.

2)Just push your way (well,not literally!) to the front. Really, it's just a matter of excuse me, pardon me. I made it to the front of my corral in the Marathon Relay in 2012 cause I wanted to run a good time.

3)You want to catch a bus by 4, generally. For traffic reasons.

4)The walk from the bus staging area to the race staging area is a bit of a schlep. You are not allowed to go to the corrals right away. I don;t recall exactly what time they let runners head over, but there are plenty of (loud) announcements somewhere before 5 am

5) You would likely have time for a few pictures. You wouldn't be swept without warning, so you would have time to see where you were relative to the back of the race and stop when there was time.

6)Whatever you can carry--so you may want to invest in some kind of race belt.

From my experience in previous WDW RD half marathons, they opened the gates to the corrals by 4:20 or 4:30am I believe. We had to be in the corrals by 5am but even by 5:20 there were still people coming in to the area.
The "Trek" to the staging area from the drop off point seems like a 5K! for as long as the walk is :) So that's your warm up.
I was on an "early" bus 2 years ago 2012 got on at 3:20 but the driver was a contract (not Cast Member) driver and it took us almost an hour from POR to get to the area due to traffic and he was not sure about the route. So just an FYI it's better be early just in case and still be on time. My other recent experience with the 10K was it only took 15 mins from FTW cabins to starting area. Way too early. Go figure.
Thankfully there seems to be more portolets in the corral area and on the routes. *Stopping at the restroom by Pinochio's Restaurant can be helpful too**

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter