Calling All Florida Golfers...recommendations needed

DisneyDame27

Going to my happy place - Disneyworld
Usually golf is not a subject that is discussed here on the boards. I think the last time I heard any discussion was when Bob was still with us. Anyway I am looking for some recommendations from residents or fellow DISers who may be golf fans as well as Disney Fans.

We are planning a trip Jan 7-17th 2014. I'm looking for some reasonable but nice golf courses near WDW. We are staying at our home resort SSR & will have a rental car. My sister-in-law and her family will be there at the same time with her family. My DH, DS1 & DS2, as well as my niece, nephews and brother-in-law will all be playing 1-2 times during our trip. Usually they play LBV at least twice but are looking to change things us a bit for this trip.

Thank you in advance for any tips you may provide.

My sister-in-law, an avid golfer, lived in Kissimmee from 1993-2010. We often golfed with her but I don't think we ever payed "rack rate". She always knew where to play at a reduced rate. The further you go from Orlando, the more affordable the greens fees.

Here are a few courses I enjoyed and would play again. I don't know if they are public or private because my SIL always made the arrangements. I also don't know current pricing or condition.
* Southern Dunes -- The design is quite unique with gigantic bunkers. It is a fun course with lots of interesting holes. (Haines City -- maybe 20 minutes from WDW)
*Mystic Dunes -- Lots of the holes remind me of Coastal South Carolina courses rather than Central Florida. (Celebration)
*Orange County National -- Panther Lake and Crooked Cat. These courses have been used for PGATour qualifying. Although challenging, if played from the proper tees, can be a great round.
*Brooksville is probably further than you want to drive but they have two world class golf courses at World Woods Golf Club.
*I think these are private. But if you can get on them, they're quite good -- Grand Cypress, FoxFire and Reunion Resorts. All are close to WDW.
*Not the same caliber as the Disney courses but relatively inexpensive -- Kissimmee Bay, Highlands Reserve, and Hunter's Creek (very long and runs through the subdivisions). I'd probably stick with the Disney courses rather than play these.

I'd definitely go out of my way again to play Southern Dunes and Mystic Dunes.

Southern Dunes & Mystic Dunes it is! Checked them both out on line and DH was pleased. Thanks so much!

There are more good courses around the area to play than you can shake a stick at:

Besides the Disney courses you have (and some of these below have two or three courses at each location to choose from):

Grand Cypress (The New Course is Jack Nicklaus's homage to the Old Course at St. Andrews and very links-like, almost no water, lots of bunkers and rolling mounding. Loads of fun, just stayed and played there last weekend)
Reunion
Falcon's Fire
Champions Gate
Southern Dunes
Orange County National
Windemere Golf Club
The Waldorf Astoria "on property" at Bonnet Creek is also great
Bella Colina
Celebration Golf Club

Thank you so much! Can't wait to start checking these all out. My husband is on vacation this week maybe I can get him started....

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter