Calling all Californians and DLR experts! Help!

IndigoFairy

Earning My Ears
Hi everyone. My SO and I are planning our first ever trip to both the West Coast and DLR. I have spent hours reading and planning, and this is what we have decided and the question we are hoping you kind, dear people might help with:

We are flying into San Diego Saturday, Oct 14th. We already have airline and hotel reservations. The first big question mark for us is our trip from San Diego to Anaheim. We think we will take Amtrak. However, I have a couple of questions. First, is it necessary to book those tickets ahead? We plan to leave San Diego on Wednesday the 18th, but aren't sure if we will be eager to leave San Diego or have more we want to accomplish before getting on the train that day. I know there are multiple trains, so it would be ideal if we could leave that decision to be made at the time. Any thoughts or advise would be much appreciated.

Getting to the train station will involve a taxi ride from our hotel in Little Italy. We debated taking a bus or trolley, but we both feel that for our personal mental health, the taxi will be the least stressful and foreign. Once we reach Anaheim, I think we'll probably do the same to get to the hotel. We're staying at the Ramada Maingate across the street from Disneyland. I saw some conversation about resort area busses or shuttles from the train station, but the map I found makes it seem as though we would get dropped off a block from our hotel. Does that sound right?

We'll be at DLR from the 18th-21st. We have three day park-hoppers, so I think we're good on time. The last fuzzy connection involves how we should get to the airport. We're flying out of LAX. I have seem varying estimates about time and distance and price for transportation, but what really concerns me is that everyone agrees that a taxi from DLR to LAX will cost almost $100. Sometimes mental health has to take take a back seat. :) Any suggestion about how to make it from DLR to LAX to meet our 9:00AM flight home would be much appreciated!

ok let me start with the train situation...I dont think you will have any problems getting a train ticket even waiting till the day you're ready to go to Anaheim....just make sure you know the times they leave and arrive daily...I cant answer you regarding catching the ART because I live in Cali and drive to DL so no need for it...however, as far as getting to LAX? I would definitely suggest taking a shuttle and not a taxi.....several people on the board have used super shuttle and if I'm not mistaken, its $15 pp?? anyone out there want to confirm??? there is also grey lines disneyland express..heres the link :thumbsup2

http://airport.anaheimsightseeing.com/

Thank you so much for the help! I'm excited to know that the Amtrak tickets can be purchased the same day. It's so much nicer when you can make these decisions as you go. :banana:

About the transfer to the airport - I read a lot about super shuttle last night and it seems like a good deal. I like that they'll pick us up right from the hotel. From my quick reading at the Disney Greyline website, I get the impression that they do the same. Can anyone confirm? I'll be staying at the Ramada Maingate across from Disneyland. Also, the price difference between the two is negligible. Which is the better option?

It's 13 weeks away and I'm so geared up and ready that I just don't think I can stand it that long! :bounce:

I was just curious what other transportation possiblities you might have checked into between SD and Anaheim. We are also flying into SD for our vacation next summer and just started planning. What other options are there other than the train?

Also can you tell me approx. how long the train ride is. It sounds like like something different and fun for my daughter to experience.

teril said:
I was just curious what other transportation possiblities you might have checked into between SD and Anaheim. We are also flying into SD for our vacation next summer and just started planning. What other options are there other than the train?

Also can you tell me approx. how long the train ride is. It sounds like like something different and fun for my daughter to experience.

its about 2 hours or so but the only other way besides flying is bus or renting a car :confused3

If anyone considers driving ... DH and I rented a convertible and drove from DL to San Diego for the day. It is a great drive down (or up to DL) the PCH and it only took approx an 1h 45 min (of course that depends on how long you stop to see the sights). There are a couple good spots to stop. Although I am sure the drive is not a scenic as from San Francisco to Anaheim (I want to do that next ;) ) We spent the day in SD then drove back to DL. We enjoyed driving and will do it again. It is very easy to drive, practically a straight shot.

The drive to LAX can be difficult to gage on how long it will take to get there. If the traffic is good, maybe 40 min, if it is bad .. a lot longer. I would allow plenty of time to make a 9am flight. I haven't done research on other transportation to LAX as DH and I always fly into SNA (John Wayne Airport) and we always rent a car there. It is in Orange County and only about 20 min from DL, even with some traffic. Traffic can be heavy, but not as bad as in LA, IMHO. SNA is closer, smaller, and I would say an overall better place to fly into/out of if you are going to be at DL. Have a great trip!!

I have used Super Shuttle numerous times and it always works great. You can make your reservations on line or call 24 hours in advance. I usually pay for it on line so it is done and one less thing to have to carry cash for, though they do take credit. They have always been prompt and courteous and I highly recommend them.

Teril, I didn't do any extensive research into alternative transportation, but we did discuss the greyhound option and decided that since I have never ridden on a train that this would be a great experience for me. Also, the fare is extraordinarily low. I think coach is $17 per person. We are even thinking about upgrading to 1st class since it is so affordable. The train ride, as disneegrl4eva said, takes about 2 hours.
Having said all that, neither my SO or I feel comfortable driving ourselves. I have read that rental cars in CA are also very affordable. For a less anxiety ridden person, I really think that would be the best option. We aren't even renting a car while in SD. While too limitem for everyday commuters, SD has a nice trolley and bus system that makes getting around the downtown area (where we'll be staying) easy to navigate. Downtown, Little Italy, and the Gaslamp Quarter are walkable. I'm excited to be on foot for the majority of the vacation. :)

Hello fellow Kansas Citian!

What a great trip! You're going to have a wonderful time!

We love San Diego! My parents lived there for years so we have been there many times! October is a lovely month there, of course the weather in SD is nearly always perfect but we love the fall!

There is so much you can do using just the trolley. Gas Lamp area is great, lots of clubs and restaurants. Little Italy is vey quaint and the restaurants are awesome, but it is very small -- about two or three blocks. I was quite surprised about that the first time we went.

Other fun places on the trolley are: Sea Port Village (shopping, eating and entertainment right at the harbor), the Maritime museum, (two old ships and a lot of history to look through).

One of our favorite things to do is to take the sunset cruise on the Jada, a sailing yacht. She sails from Sea Port Village, and you can book before you go. Check it out: http://www.jadasailing.com/

We have taken Taxi's many times to & from the airport and they have always been very reliable.

Just so you know, I don't think there's a beach you can get to on the trolley. We love Pacific beach (a boardwalk area right on the beach) and also Coronodo Island but they are farther south so you would have to take a taxi.

Have fun planning! Rella :wave2:

PS:
We leave the end of the month for Disneyland... our first time since we were kids!! So I can't give you much info there, maybe when we get back!

Can't help you with train info, but we stayed at the Radison Maingate last month. Get an "ART" Anaheim Rapid Transit pass it picks you up and drops you off right in front of the hotel. It was $6.00 for 2-day adult pass and kids under 9 are free, the longest we waited was about 15 minutes.
have a great trip DLR is great!

Hi, Mommy2mrb. Thank you for your help. I am wondering how far the hotel is from the maingate. Are you saying that the ART can be used to avoid walking that distance, or are there other places on the ART line that it will take us? I am just having a hard time visualizing how everything is set up because I've never been. :) Thanks again!

Hi, Rella Bella! It's awesome to hear from another Kansas City member of the DISboard. Sorry I have been away so long. Thank you very much for your help and advice.We are so excited! My SO have checked out every San Diego and DL book form the library we could get our hands on. We spend at least an hour every day pouring through them and talking about our plans. And that doesn't even begin to address the time I spend looking online.
I have a question that, if you happen to know the answer, I hope you won't mind that I am picking your brain and experience. :) We were talking about taking the trolley to Ferry Landing, then taking the ferry over to Coronado. Can we walk to the beach from there?

TeacherKaren, I think you and disneegrl4eva have convinced me that Supershuttle is the way to go. I plan to make those reservations online tonight. Thanks for your help!

IndigoFairy said:
Hi, Rella Bella! It's awesome to hear from another Kansas City member of the DISboard. Sorry I have been away so long. Thank you very much for your help and advice.We are so excited! My SO have checked out every San Diego and DL book form the library we could get our hands on. We spend at least an hour every day pouring through them and talking about our plans. And that doesn't even begin to address the time I spend looking online.
I have a question that, if you happen to know the answer, I hope you won't mind that I am picking your brain and experience. :) We were talking about taking the trolley to Ferry Landing, then taking the ferry over to Coronado. Can we walk to the beach from there?
Hi Indio!! I'm glad to help anyway I can!

What a great idea!! I didn't remember the ferry, because we haven't ever done it, but yes, it will get you walking distance to a beach! Corondo isn't that big, if you don't want to walk they rent surry bikes and other fun modes of transportation. There is also an Arcitectual Walking Tour. The ferry lands at the Ferry Market Place -- which is lots of shops and restaurants -- there is a beach there, but I don't know if it is a swimming beach. Maybe someone else can help there.

You could also walk (or ride) over to the beach at the Hotel del Coronodo... they have a great dining room with an ocean view where you could have lunch and then walk right out to the beach! The hotel itself is something to see, beautiful & lots of history! Very awesome place.

Your vacation is sounding better & better!!! :thumbsup2

Here's a couple more sites to help:
http://www.inetours.com/San_Diego/Coronado.html#WalkTouranchor

http://gothere.com/coronado/coronado_map.htm

http://www.hoteldel.com/

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter