California vs Florida

EnnEss

DIS Veteran
I have a question regarding the weather in Florida in comparison to Disneyland during the month of September. Through some quirk of air travel and hotel pricing I'm able to go to either Disneyland or WDW for the same price despite being located nearly 5000 kms closer to Disneyland and I thought I'd consider the option of Florida as I've been to Disneyland 8 or so times and never WDW.

My gf is however concerned about things such as hurricane season which assumedly means it rains more in Florida? After she raised that question, I also wondered as part of the fun of going to LA is escaping the rainy climate I'm exposed to in my hometown (Vancouver, BC).

Thanks.

HOT, MUGGY and RAINY! However, WDW is currently offering free dining package for travel in September, so it might be something to consider. Since you have been to CA several times, this might prove to be your opportunity for WDW. Just go in knowing what kind of weather you will be facing, plan afternoon breaks with pool time, and take a slower pace so as not to let the heat wear you out.
We are Phoenix family so SoCal is a typical destination for us. However, we did do a big, blowout vacation to WDW, albeit during January. Hey if I wanted hot oppressive heat in the summer, I could stay home with my 112 degree summer. And as for the humidity, we lived in Houston for several years ..... yeah, I'm pretty much over that. But I don't want to discourage you from considering FL, just want you to go in with you eyes open so to speak.
Also WDW is different from DL, namely in size and containment within the resort. (you definitely won't feel the like you are in the middle of an urban area ...... just all disney, all the time)
Food for thought ...... free dining plan ........ get it? (Yes, its been one of those kind of day :rolleyes1 )

Thank you for the information, all news to me and exactly the kind of stuff I wanted to learn. If I'm aware whats in store it seems doable, just have to get over that hurricane fear now.

I think i'd really like the total immersion into a disney theme, staying at Disneyland and not leaving the resort / hotels is nice, but i still know I'm sorrounded by a lot of .... i dont know, not the nicest area. And I just found that dining free thing, that seems truly amazing, particularly since Disneyland has ZERO promos running.

Hurricanes shouldn't be a problem in the sense that you won't find yourself holed up in the convention center. They could bring heavy rains. If you are staying on site and in a location that Disney feels could be dangerous (like the FW cabins) they have been known to move you to another resort area for a time. Most of the rain that will effect you will be typical bursts throughout the day. Just think of it this way, it could empty the parks out and you will be prepared because you read all the tips on the Dis WDW boards. Remember to take your own poncho (bought at Walmart) much cheaper than Disney's.

Disclaimer: I, myself, have never been in September, but did do quite a bit of reading for our trip last January and found all this info I am sharing with you on the afore mentioned Dis WDW boards.

Have fun!

I have been in September a couple of times. Once did we get rain. We just put on our ponchos and continued on. Crowds are low and the dining promotion is awesome. We used it last year. Nothing is better than FREE food!

We went last year end of august, beginning ao september. Got there the day before Katrina hit. Disney wasnt really effected by it, a few showers and a lightning storm that day. The only problems we had was the humidity! It was SO HOT AND HUMID!!! Worse than I thought it would be. but if you can handle that you should be fine. We also had the dining plan, what a deal. that was great. well what ever you decide have a great trip!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter