California Here We Come (Day 1)

GrammieMame

<a href="http://www.wdwinfo.com/dis-sponsor/index.
Wednesday, March 28

GrammieMame (Trip Sponsor & Planner)
Lynn (Daughter & Mother of:)
Wade & Tyler (4 & 7 year old grandsons)

After spending 4 days in San Diego (trolley tour; Lego Land; Zoo; LaJolla) we left at about 9:00 for the drive to Anaheim. Since we were already on the north end of town, it was easy to get on I-5 and the drive itself was a piece of cake. I was really worried about negotiating the California freeways (my home town interstate is 3 lanes, tops) but really didn’t have any trouble. The trip seemed very short and the directions to get to the Disneyland Hotel were specific and easy to follow. We were there in no time – by 10:30.

Checking in, I found that they had given me my pool view upgrade (and when the bill came, found they didn’t even charge me extra), but the room wouldn’t be ready until 3:00. We walked around the grounds and checked out the pool (really nice), the inside of the hotel, and different hotel restaurants. I left everyone in the lobby watching Disney stuff on the TV and went to check in the car at West Coast Anaheim (where I originally had reservations until I decided to use my DVC points to stay at DL Hotel). The Alamo people were really nice, and gave me a lift back to DL, or it would have been a trek. Boy, am I glad we decided to stay at the DL Hotel, and even more so as time went on. I had been warned that, unlike WDW, we would be very aware of being in the middle of a large city, and I think if we would have stayed at a hotel outside the grounds that would have been the case. But being at DL Hotel, with Downtown Disney right outside the door and both parks side-by-side at the end of Downtown Disney, I never felt that way.

CALIFORNIA ADVENTURE: Picked up the kids, bought our passes (3 day park hoppers) and headed for DCA. Walking through DD was fun – lots of fountains (boys had to stick their hands in every single one – and climb every wall they saw); lots of cool looking restaurants and stores. Very nicely done – better than WDW, I think. We checked out restaurant menus and tentatively decided where we wanted to eat – more about that later. The entrance to DCA was imposing, with California being spelled out in huge letters (that the boys immediately climbed up on) and the Golden Gate Bridge as the entrance. I thought that bear looked just like a bear, and not any other animal. We went to Paradise Pier first; were a bit overwhelmed and not quite sure where everything was. The map left something to be desired. The general atmosphere was upbeat and I loved the music (never was there long enough to get sick of it). Tyler wanted to go on a RIDE, so we did the carousel (which he loved) while we tried to figure out what to do next. Got the boys some cotton candy.

We decided to go on the Sun Wheel, even though the wait time was listed at 45 minutes. It was actually about half that time. This is the huge ferris wheel with some stationary cars and some that are rigged to make them swing into the center of the wheel on the up ride, and then out from the center on the down ride. I am having serious déjà vu – I remember this ride from 50 years ago (eek!) at Coney Island in New York. I didn’t like it then and I’m afraid I’m not going to like it much now. But I’m game for just about anything, so up we go in a swinging car. Up, Up, Up and then we hit the point where the car starts to swing in toward the center. And I mean it swings WAY up at the final point. Tyler starts looking very worried and kind of whimpering. But then we told him that it was like the park swing where he wants to go “higher & higher”, and all of a sudden its fun. For him, anyhow. But it freaks me out, and so I spend most of the ride with my eyes closed, with a feeling of relief when it gets to the bottom. But then we go around again. It won’t be on my “must do” list.

We went past the carnival game area. The boys had seen Rosie play some games, so they just had to try it. Wade did the throw-three-balls-at-stacked-bottles game, and quickly blew $2. Then we went to the fishing game, where everyone wins a prize. Both Wade and Tyler “won” and were satisfied to quit after getting a little seal. We will try not to pass that way again. Getting hungry by that time, so we wandered over toward the farm/garden area close to “Tough…Bug”, which Lynn & Wade planned to see. While they were doing that, I took Ty over to the spouting fountains, where he just begged to be allowed to run. It wasn’t really hot, but the sun was shining, so I said sure. He proceeded to get soaking wet from head to toe, deliberately running into places where the fountains were gushing. Lynn and Wade quickly joined us; Wade looked very nervous when Lynn read the warning signs about loud noises and scary stuff, so Lynn decided to make him wait until next time when he’s a little older. Although he played the macho tough guy and made fun of Mom being scared, Lynn said he looked very very relieved when she ordered him out of the line. So Wade proceeded to go thru the fountains, but he was into the challenge of beating the system, and so didn’t get wet at all.

On to lunch at the counter service place near the farm market. Lynn had a grilled chicken wrap and I had a very California salad of greens, blue cheese and walnuts. It was delicious. Nice to have someplace to get something other than fries and burgers. The kid’s meal was rather bizarre, though. A “pb & j wrap” which turned out to be a chocolate flavored tortilla with pb&j, and marshmallow cream. It was more dessert than lunch. Ty loved it; Wade didn’t.

We walked around some more, checking out Grizzly Rapids (FP time 4:30, which didn’t suit us) and Soarin’ Over California (regular wait time 45 min; FP time 9:15 that night). I went ahead and got the FP, figuring maybe Wade & I would run back and try it out. My main objectives at California Adventure are these two rides, and I vow to handle the FP situation tomorrow so that we can do it. We also went in the playground there, which was lots of fun for both boys. Tyler loved the cave where you hear a bear roaring and come out to a small creek with stepping-stones across. He must have done it 20 times, and still wasn’t tired of it. Wade did the rope climbs and climbing wall.

By that time, it’s about 3:30 and we go back and check into the hotel. One really nice thing about DL compared to WDW is the ability to scoot from one place to another on foot. It’s only about a five minute walk from DL Hotel through DD to the parks; California Adventure on the left and Disneyland on the right. It’s very compact. Our room is really very nice. Plenty large enough for the four of us without feeling too crowded. Best of all, I got an upgrade to a pool view. I had used my DVC points for the reservation, and was told an upgrade would cost about $30 a night, but when I got the bill, they didn’t charge me at all. We all took a nap and then on to

GOOFY’S KITCHEN: Doing a character dinner the night of arrival is quickly becoming a tradition. When we got there, a small room to the right was the photo room (where they take your picture and hope you will buy it). Chip was in there, and I told Tyler that I thought Chip was right around the corner, so he went in and stood in front of Chip and literally jumped for joy, “Chip, Chip, It’s Chip, Look, It’s Chip”. Then he started running around in circles, just beside himself. He and Chip bonded, touching noses, etc. What a character (both of them). Once we settled him down, we did get the boys picture taken, and, of course, I had to buy it just for the look of pure joy on Tyler’s face. We were seated toward the back, kind of away from the action (which consisted of a character/guest dance about once every half hour). The food was pretty good, about the norm for a buffet. Goofy, Pluto, Chip & Dale, and Minnie came around more than once. We were seated near the back door, though, and the characters kept coming and going on their breaks, till the kids asked us where they were going. Guess they need a bathroom break just like everyone else. Back to the hotel room for an early night. It’s been a long day, and we hope to take advantage of the 7:30 early entry tomorrow morning.

I really enjoyed your trip report.I'm off to read the rest now!!

Karen;)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter