California Grill Reservations

The Foolish Mortal

DIS Veteran
So for an upcoming trip in May, my family is making a few small changes in our plans. As a result, it looks like there will be one evening where my partner and I can escape the shackles of the kiddo and have an evening out for ourselves. We really want to try California Grill, but there are not presently any reservations available on the evening we are free. Does anyone have any advice or experience with this restaurant? I'm guessing I will just check each day and hope a reservation opens up. But if anyone has any other thoughts, please let me know.

Reservations will definitely pop up closer to the date, especially the day before. I was doing random checks for a while ahead of my ADR date and saw lots of dinners popping up 1-2 days in advance as people want to avoid the cancellation fee.

In the meantime, sign up for a touring plans reservation finder. You do need to make an account, but you do NOT need to subscribe - the free account will let you use this feature. It sends you a text and email when a reservation pops up on your date in your set time frame. Just have to be quick and act as soon as possible to secure it, and if you aren't able to get the reservation secured in time make sure you log back into touring plans and "reset" the search since it stops once it finds one. https://touringplans.com/walt-disney-world/reservation-finder

Reservations will definitely pop up closer to the date, especially the day before. I was doing random checks for a while ahead of my ADR date and saw lots of dinners popping up 1-2 days in advance as people want to avoid the cancellation fee.
Thanks. I have had good luck trying this in the past with other reservations, but wasn't sure how hard it is to get one at this particular restaurant. This information is encouraging!

Weelll, yes, being able to snag an ADR may occur a day or two ahead of the date you want.

I'd make a second-choice ADR you can live with, because Disney-deprived returnees seem to have been flooding into WDW since its reopening. We'd never before had such a hassle getting favorite ADRs as we did last fall. We checked daily while there for Topolino's breakfast with no luck.

That way, you can modify your existing ADR when you spot a Cali Grill opening, keeping you in the system in case someone snaps it up before your modification goes through. You have a bit of an edge doing it that way, a CM told us once, over those who've just leapt into the "food fight."

Try early on weekend mornings when most people sensibly sleep late. We've gotten some plummy ADRs with that little trick.

Subscribe to the May cancelled ADR thread so you get notified when someone is cancelling an ADR.

Keep stalking as they do open.
As is mentioned in every thread like this. Touringplans reservation finder is very helpful.
There are several others you can google and try as well as this site filters the names out.

So for an upcoming trip in May, my family is making a few small changes in our plans. As a result, it looks like there will be one evening where my partner and I can escape the shackles of the ikiddo and have an evening out for ourselves. We really want to try California Grill, but there are not presently any reservations available on the evening we are free. Does anyone have any advice or experience with this restaurant? I'm guessing I will just check each day and hope a reservation opens up. But if anyone has any other thoughts, please let me know.
I have been there a few times, but must admit it’s not my favourite. Tend to book it only if I want a good view of the fireworks from outside the MK. 4th of July is a great night for this. The quality of food is not that great for the price you place. Personally I would suggest going to Disney Springs and going to either Morimoto Asia or Wine by George.

We just got back from a resort stay only trip and I stalked adr reservations continuously until I got 7 pm ressie, allowing us to catch the 9 pm fireworks. To be honest I was very disappointed in food quality, the new menu doesn’t compare to the wonderful dinners we have had there in the past.😢

We just got back from a resort stay only trip and I stalked adr reservations continuously until I got 7 pm ressie, allowing us to catch the 9 pm fireworks. To be honest I was very disappointed in food quality, the new menu doesn’t compare to the wonderful dinners we have had there in the past.😢
I have been there a few times, but must admit it’s not my favourite. Tend to book it only if I want a good view of the fireworks from outside the MK. 4th of July is a great night for this. The quality of food is not that great for the price you place. Personally I would suggest going to Disney Springs and going to either Morimoto Asia or Wine by George.

Ugggg...could you guys confirm the current menue is accurate? Thanks. http://disneyworld.disney.go.com/dining/contemporary-resort/california-grill/menus/

So for an upcoming trip in May, my family is making a few small changes in our plans. As a result, it looks like there will be one evening where my partner and I can escape the shackles of the kiddo and have an evening out for ourselves. We really want to try California Grill, but there are not presently any reservations available on the evening we are free. Does anyone have any advice or experience with this restaurant? I'm guessing I will just check each day and hope a reservation opens up. But if anyone has any other thoughts, please let me know.
We love CG for dinner but are now huge fans of Sunday Brunch instead. I don't know if brunch is back and you can get away though. That being said: Last trip we did walk up for Sci-Fi, Space 220, and have done at Be Our Guest. When we have done at BOG we have gotten seating within minutes. At Sci-Fi maybe a 10 minute wait. At Space 220 about and hour and a half. We assume these are from cancelled reservations??? We just decided to give it a try. Soooo maybe send one person to CG early the day you wish to dine to see if they have had any late cancellations. We have never tried at CG but this has worked at others albeit we were doing lunches at all and not dinners.

I love their brunch and wish that would come back. I loved dinner there but the new menu was not my favorite. I much preferred the old ala carte menu.

Sunday brunch here is the meal I miss the most, I was hoping they'd bring it back but it doesn't look like that's happening anytime soon.

Not a fan of the current prix fixe menu. 3 courses for $89 plus tax and tip. Prefer ordering several appetizers to share and try different things.

We went last week and loved the food and the service, although it did seem like we were trapped in time in an 80's revolving restaurant! (They really need to change the carpet). To each their own I guess, but it was our favourite meal at Disney. Our previous favourite, Sanaa, was a huge disappointment. Never felt more rushed in my life, and the upselling efforts on my kids were blatlently obvious.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter