California Grill or Storybook Dining

• California Grill

Votes: 12 63.2%
  • Storybook Dining

Votes: 7 36.8%

• Total voters

Faline

DIS Veteran
Already have 3 character meals, but wanted to try Storybook Dining. But with the schedule we have, can only do it on the only time we can get California Grill. And I really wanted to do California Grill. Haven’t done it in a long time. Our group includes 7 adults and one 6yo boy. One adult has never been to WDW, one 25yo hasn’t been in over 10 years. The rest of us have been multiple times, but never done Storybook Dining. Which would you do?

You can only do character dining at Disney. You can go to a really nice restaurant when youre at home :) I say go for Storybook Dining. My biggest joy is seeing my kids (or any kid) happy. Hopefully the 7 adults will be happy for the 1 child who will be smiling ear to ear with the characters and making his own potion drink :) !!

I'm gonna go the other way on this one. After three character dining experiences, even the 6 year old may feel like that's enough. With that many adults in the group, I'd do the CG. Love it. And the fireworks viewing is a bonus even for the 6 year old.

I'm torn on the advice on this one.

We did Storybook and California Grill in June. Obviously two different types of restaurants.

I'm not a big character dining fan, however I did enjoy Storybook. The food was a lot better than what we have experienced at most of the other character dining restaurants (we have been to all but maybe 3). My wife and son wanted to go back again before the end of the trip. The character interaction was fine. We really didn't react a whole lot to the characters as we were hungry and tired, so they did a short visit and went on to the next table. That was on us and we were completely fine with it. The Evil Queen was something else though. They REALLY enjoyed meeting her as she was such a great character. The experience as a whole is not directly geared towards boys, but I really didn't get the vibe that it was geared towards girls either.

California Grill was good. I didn't care for my meal as much as I wanted to, but again that was on me as I ordered something from the menu that I normally would not have ordered. My wife and the couple we were with loved their meals. I did sneak a bite of my wife's and wish I would have ordered what she had. With that said, it is geared for more of a "mature" audience. There were plenty of kids in the restaurant as we had an earlier ADR. I would not have any issues with taking my 8 year old there nor would I when he was 6. I would have looked at that one as a "it's Mom and Dad's turn to pick" experience.

Maybe think about subbing Storybook for one of the other character meals and keeping a CG ADR?

Do other members of your party really want to do Storybook Dining? Would your child really enjoy meeting the Snow White characters? I have done both. The food at Storybook was good. The atmosphere was nice and the meal had a lot of special touches, like the smoking box of candy at the end. It was a nice experience. However, dinner during fireworks at the California grill is on another level of dining. If you are on the dining plan, it is also two credits so that is something to consider. It really depends on what kind of experience you are looking for.

I think I enjoy character dining more than my son lol, but more than a couple during the week is too much for me. Maybe do Storybook dining instead of one of your other character meals and do CG as well. We did Storybook this past May and I really enjoyed it! The food was much better than most character meals, with the exception of Tusker House and Cape May! My two favorite character meals...

To me it is easy California Grill around the fire works schedule. The food is just to good and a 6 year old should love the view of the fireworks, we do like 6 to 8 character meals each trip. I insist on Sci Fi and whenever possible the California Grill.

I've eaten at both and enjoyed Storybook Dining more. CA grill was fine, but as others have said, not meaningfully different from a nice night out at home, except more expensive for what you get. The forest theme with the changing color twinkle lights was really quite beautiful, the characters were fun and very memorable, and the food was not only tasty but very playful and fun (e.g., "huntsman's pie" to start and "poison apple" dessert). For the adults in the group, if you drink alcohol, I have to add we also had our best cocktails of the trip there (and they were also themed to Snow White in a cute way).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter