• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

California Grill or Flying Fish?

DeeCeeSW

DIS Veteran
Hi all,
We would like to have a nice Father's Day dinner and so I was hoping for some opinions on these restaurants. The party will consist of me, DH and our 3-year old DS. We will be staying at the Dolphin, so I know that FF would be more convenient, but I am more concerned about the quality of the food, price, and choices for my little one.

Thanks in advance!

I'd probably pick FF even though you will miss out on possibly seeing Wishes from your table. But, on a holiday CG will probably be very crowded. FF will maybe be crowded too but you can take the pager and go out on the Boardwalk while you wait. I think the food and pricing are about equal. We ate at FF twice just this month. There were many small ones there. I've never ordered anything special for mine but I have asked for certain substitutions occasionally on my entrees. The servers are great and always willing to please. Ask for Jodi, Joe or Joey - they are our all time favorites!

Qbush
:bounce: :Pinkbounc :bounce: :Pinkbounc

Quality and prices are comparable at CG and FF. CG's menu is a little bit broader, with FF being more fish oriented (of course). Both have children's menus with standard fare.

I'd go with FF for the crowd reason mentioned by the previous poster, but they are both great and you can't go wrong either way.

Thanks for your responses. I neglected to mention that I already have a PS for California Grill, made one when I could, so would crowds still be an issue? I like FF's menu too and see that the prices are slightly higher. So, I guess my original question should have been, which restaurant for the best dining experience?

No doubt both will be crowded on Fathres Day, but I believe thebest "experience" would be Cali grill. That view just can't be beat--.

Another vote for California Grill. The view is so special. I also like the menu better as there is more variety. Either will be very nice for your celebration I'm sure, but CG is just unique.

If you're worried about crowds, consider making a PSs for when it opens or shortly thereafter. It's a large restaurant and at opening, you won't have to wait.

I actually enjoy the "dining experience" at FF more than CG. The food at both places is great and the view at CG is super. I have, however, found CG to be loud and hectic. In addition, CG is the only restaurant on site where I have consistently been seated well after the PS time. For example, in Feb 2003, we went to CG with a 5:30 PS time; the restaurant opens at 5:30 and we were there right on time, and yet we still were not seated until 5:45. Other experiences have resulted in even longer wait times. (And I know a PS is not a reservation, etc., but I am just pointing out what my experience at CG has been.)

For me, FF, over the years, has been a more relaxed and enjoyable dining experience. I like CG very much, but if I had to choose between the two, I would go with FF.

These are my two favorite on site restaurants. The CG chef used to be the chef at FF, so you will see some menu similarities. I would go with the one most convenient with the most convenient location to what you are doing that day. They are both that good.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter