California Grill . Just got an adr for Sun. Anyone been very recently?

eeyoresmom

DIS Veteran
I know they change their menu often. Has anyone been very recently that can tell me what they enjoyed or didn't?

We were there end of June, and we enjoyed everything we ordered. The bison was perfect, scallops were heaven as well as the sushi. The ravioli and flatbread apps were very good. There were six of us and no complaints, but the real winners were the sushi and the scallops. It looks like the menu has changed slightly since then, but not much.

I was last at the California Grill this past June. My thoughts below.

View still very good except for those poor souls seated at the community style tables (like I was) who have their back to the windows.
Sushi still excellent
Food IMHO is still average for a signature and nowhere near what it was before the refurb. However, the Bison was pretty good.
Dessert menu is very unusual for a signature restaurant. I expect more than some kind of root beer float - Sunday sampler or something they brought us in June that was a doughnut with strawberries on it???
Service the three times we've been there since the refurb has been average at best to pretty bad at worst.
Very noisy

I have wanted so much to have California Grill be one of my favorite signature dining experiences, enough to go back the last three visits and give it another try; it barely even breaks the top 10 in all restaurants for me. I think it still rely's on it's past glory and reputation along with the views it offers and IMO, it falls short. Do I hate it? no. Is it a must do for me? Not any longer. Will I go back? Most likely, but not my next stay in WDW. I rate Narcoossee's, Jiko, Flying Fish, Artist Point and Yachtsman Steakhouse all higher. But again, this is only my opinion.

I guess I'm in the minority here. We just got back and thought our meal at Cali Grill was the worst meal of the week. This was the one reservation we were looking forward to the most and unfortunately the most disappointing. Our server was horrible. As soon as he heard that we were ordering diet cokes instead of wine, our service went downhill quickly. We are big sushi people and though the sushi was not up to par. The few rolls they offer are already pre-made, so by the time the sushi reaches your table, the rice is ice cold and sticky. That's fine dining sushi? and the almost $30 for those terrible rolls was a joke. We weren't even finished with our apps and they were bringing out our entrees, as they couldn't wait to get us out the door. We sat down at 7:50, hoping to have a nice slow paced meal and watch Wishes and were out the door at 8:35 with our $175 bill. Never again!!!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter