• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Cal Grill before HEA Plaza Garden Dessert party

Surgie2

DIS Veteran
Not sure if this belongs here or on the restaurant forum...

The question is... on a night with 9:00 fireworks, our Dessert Party starts at 7:45. We have a reservation at California Grill for 5:10 and 6:50 so need to cancel one asap.

I know we can walk to MK in about 10 minutes but will still need security. Would prefer 6:50 but would this be pushing us for time even if we really don't care about eating desserts for a full hour? We could get to California Grill and check in 15-30 minutes early if that would help. Just prefer not to have to be there at 5:10.

No way would I plan to do these on the same night. Stay at California Grill, enjoy the desserts and the observation deck there. Do the dessert party on a different night. California Grill is not a rushed meal. You likely won't make it out of there in under an hour.

Not sure if this belongs here or on the restaurant forum...

The question is... on a night with 9:00 fireworks, our Dessert Party starts at 7:45. We have a reservation at California Grill for 5:10 and 6:50 so need to cancel one asap.

I know we can walk to MK in about 10 minutes but will still need security. Would prefer 6:50 but would this be pushing us for time even if we really don't care about eating desserts for a full hour? We could get to California Grill and check in 15-30 minutes early if that would help. Just prefer not to have to be there at 5:10.

We ate at Cali Grill before doing the dessert party about a year ago, but our reservation was at 5:50 pm and it was perfect. We were out in about an hour or so and made it to MK with at least 30 minutes to spare. But if the timing remains the same for you, you won't be in MK until 8:15/8:30 pm which is far too late for the dessert party IMHO. By then, people will have already staked out their spots in the garden and you will be hard-pressed to find a spot with a good view. I would keep checking for something at Cali Grill in the 5:30 - 6:00 pm range.

Edited to add: or keep the 6:50 pm ADR, ditch the dessert party and just watch the fireworks from Cali Grill!

Thanks for opinions! The situation is...this is the plan of our two adult kids and their spouses. I’m making reservations for them and watching the grandkids. Three of them have done dinner and fireworks from California Grill in a previous trip and loved it.We are staying at Poly and will see fireworks from the beach ( not the same I know).

But son-in-law has a huge interest in photography with a great camera so a prime fireworks spot near castle is important. They have an Illuminatioms Cruise on a different night and don’t want to leave the kids on a third night. So I’m trying to help them do it all...nice dinner out followed by dessert party and trying to make the best of the times available at CG. If a 6:00 reservation turns up that would be perfect for their situation.

Thanks for opinions! The situation is...this is the plan of our two adult kids and their spouses. I’m making reservations for them and watching the grandkids. Three of them have done dinner and fireworks from California Grill in a previous trip and loved it.We are staying at Poly and will see fireworks from the beach ( not the same I know).

But son-in-law has a huge interest in photography with a great camera so a prime fireworks spot near castle is important. They have an Illuminatioms Cruise on a different night and don’t want to leave the kids on a third night. So I’m trying to help them do it all...nice dinner out followed by dessert party and trying to make the best of the times available at CG. If a 6:00 reservation turns up that would be perfect for their situation.

Especially if he really wants a prime spot in the Plaza Garden for photography I would not do the later reservation. Have you tried the Touring Plans reservation finder?

Especially if he really wants a prime spot in the Plaza Garden for photography I would not do the later reservation. Have you tried the Touring Plans reservation finder?

Yes I've submitted to TP but continue to look on my own. I will go with the earlier reservation and continue to try to modify to a bit later.

I would agree with previous posters to do these on different nights if at all possible. If not, definitely go with the earlier reservations. We adore California Grill and would not want to rush through dinner to get to the dessert party.

The 5:10 seating is perfect. The other one may work if they are only having apps and *if* (big if), they get seated on time. I wouldn't rush, so I would stick with the 5:10.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter