Cake Bake Shop at the BoardWalk opening in 2024

Or maybe it's more difficult for them to obtain certain building permits. I can't imagine anyone with a shred of business sense would let a prime piece of real estate stay inactive that long.

Until the changes this year, Disney pretty much issued their own building permits. This Cake Bake shop doesn’t seem to have anything to do with permits. Construction is just moving at a snail’s pace.

I agree! While we enjoyed stayed at the Boardwalk Villas years ago the lack of a decent quick service prevented us from
Going back.

yes, we have always wondered why Disney construction seems to take so much longer, my friends who are annual pass holders and live down there say Disney pays so low, they lose contractors.

In most cases Disney pays what contractors bid to do a job for.... those individual contractor might pay low??

But you also have different types of projects... in some cases Disney is more a landlord that provides a "space" and then the tenant like a restaurant or shop might be responsible for their own build out.

Cake Bake will have two different General Contractors.... one to do the "dried in building space" and a second to do the "tenant build out". Would explained why noting has been done inside, as one only starts when the other is finished.

But either way... I don't think Disney is doing any of it, it's being done by 3rd party contractors that bid out these projects.

As for how long it takes... fine details or theming are time consuming. But too there are a lot of aspects of construction these days that are taking much longer due to sourcing materials.

Do we think this would be for sure open by Late April/Early May next year? I'm thinking of staying at the Boardwalk and it would be nice to have another restaurant there to choose from. It looks a long way from opening.

I was there today and was shocked at the lack of anything constructive. It is a weekday and there was no one working, a dead site, and it looked like nothing was actively happening. It is a shell of a building. I would be shocked if it is done by the end of the year, and honestly I question if it hasn't been put on hold.

361842694_1451970258947344_974866671750561801_n.jpg361833528_1987454991630689_1157917886548026518_n.jpg

I was there today and was shocked at the lack of anything constructive. It is a weekday and there was no one working, a dead site, and it looked like nothing was actively happening. It is a shell of a building. I would be shocked if it is done by the end of the year, and honestly I question if it hasn't been put on hold.
Well it looks further along than it did last week.

I'm still keeping my fingers crossed that it will be open by Feb 2023. I really want to try this place and I'm hoping it's good and worth the $. pixiedust:

Edit: Correction, Feb 2024 not 2023.

Last edited:

View attachment 778841View attachment 778842
That actually doesn't look like significant progress has been made even from March when we saw it last. Wow. I would've expected way more to be done. Clearly, not a priority yet.

That actually doesn't look like significant progress has been made even from March when we saw it last. Wow. I would've expected way more to be done. Clearly, not a priority yet.
Yeah, it’s why I think it’s on hold. :sad1:

I don’t think it’s on hold. I just think Disney just slows down or speeds up projects at will. Right now, this project is not a priority. So they’re working on it, just not with any urgency. Probably just a skeleton crew for now. Same thing seems to be going on at the Summer House on the Lake at Disney Springs.

I thought this was a Disney run place I didn’t realize it was not Disney. Prob cause I didn’t pay attention. Anyone ever been to one? Good or hype?

I thought this was a Disney run place I didn’t realize it was not Disney. Prob cause I didn’t pay attention. Anyone ever been to one? Good or hype?
I’ve been to the one in Carmel. I thought it was hype. It’s good, not saying it isn’t, but DD went to IU for undergrad and the way it was talked up, we really expected something more unique. Plus the Carmel one is very “ladies-who-lunch,” and we didn’t like the vibe. I imagine one at WDW would be less stuffy. Portions are huge - wonder if that will carry over to Orlando. We’ll give it another try once it’s open.

Not surprising. Doesn’t seem like the work is moving very quickly. Was hoping to eat there in March but with the way them are moving that might not be happening.

I live about 5 minutes away from the one in Broad Ripple and 10 minutes away from the one in Carmel so we end up frequenting them quite a bit for lunches when extended family is in town, or for take out desserts. I actually like their savory food better than their sweets. The rosemary goat cheese quiche and chicken velvet soup are my go-to items. The decor theme is sparkly French cafe with lots of pink and white. In the past I found their cakes to be on the dry side but when I was just there a few weeks ago, we all agreed that our cake slices were sufficiently moist.
As far as their tea service, I prefer Garden View's, better bang for the buck and more options (assuming that it returns).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter