• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Cafe Orleans

cacruisin

Earning My Ears
So though I have been to Disneyland many times, we never seem to do food "right". Meaning we always find ourselves walking around going "I don't know...where do you want to eat" and end up with a turkey drum stick while sitting on a bench type of thing....so this trip we want to actually sit down to a nice meal...I decided against BB as we'll have a 6 year old with us and I don't think he'd appreciate it enough to warrant. So we have decided on Café Orleans. We are going this coming Tuesday do we need to make a reservation or is that not necessary? I'd prefer not to as to not tie us down to any specific location at any specific time but will if it is necessary. But my main question is....We'd like to try the Monte Cristo as it looks yummy and is obviously a favorite. My concern is that its too sweet and rich and will feel more like breakfast then lunch???? Is it more sweet then savory? Also, the menu on the website does not indicate a crab salad sandwich but I've seen references to one on this forum...do they have dishes at the location not on the website menu?

I think the Monte Cristo is more savory than sweet. It depends on how much berry sauce you use imho. I only use a bit of berry sauce but if you load it on it would be sweeter. I wouldn't classify it as a breakfast food. I would consider splitting it, I can only half. As for ressies, are you willing to wait 45 mins to 1 hour for a table? (Even if you get there at opening, that's what people were being told last time I was there.) If you're good with the wait, don't worry about a reservation. If you're not cool with losing an hour of your day make a reservation but remember they will charge $10/person if you are a no show.

Cafe Orleans is a popular restaurant and I have been there when they've turned walk-ups away. I've also been there when they were accepting walk-ups, so it's hard to say how things will be when you go. My generally feeling is that if you know you want to eat somewhere, it's best to make a reservation so that you know you'll get to eat there. Another option is to wait until that day and see what times are available and go grab a reservation (if available) at that point.

In terms of the Monte Cristo, I think it's generally more savory than sweet. It does have some sweetness, but the meat and cheese is savory enough to balance that out. I've not seen a crab salad sandwich on the menu lately. They do sometimes have seasonal items, but lately they have been doing a better job of keeping the website up to date.

I'd make a reservation for just the reason you said at the beginning...if you don't, you'll be walking around with a turkey leg (which is good, but you're trying to do it different )

I would echo the recommendation of a reservation. Both times I've gone (with a reservation) they were turning away walk-ups and telling them to try back during a non-peak time (such as 4pm). If you're ok with eating a non-peak time, you could probably forego the reservation. I would ask yourself which scenario will be more aggravating to your group - having to head to that part of the park at a specific time for the reservation when you don't feel like it, or heading over there expecting lunch and being turned away.

I would also go with a reservation for Cafe Orleans.

I am not a fan of Monte Cristos but have friends who love them. From what they say, its a mix of savory and sweet and very heavy. Maybe get one to share as like a large appetizer and share another meal or two?

The Monte Cristo is very good, but it is filling. My husband and I each got one last time, and we could easily have gotten away with just ordering one, as neither of us ate more than half.

I would also recommend a reservation for Cafe Orleans as well. I love Monte Cristos but I don't like the sweet aspect of them so I order them without powdered sugar and no berry stuff. I sprinkle mine with salt and dip it in ketchup or if I have any sauce leftover from pomme frittes I dip my sandwich in that.

Thanks guys !!! I really appreciate all the responses!!! I followed the advise and made a reservation. We also plan to split the Monte Cristos as suggested...I think it should work out well and am very excited...

Avoid the Monte Criscos. They are gut bombs. They are far too heavy and end up sitting like a huge lump in your stomach.

Thanks guys !!! I really appreciate all the responses!!! I followed the advise and made a reservation. We also plan to split the Monte Cristos as suggested...I think it should work out well and am very excited...

Enjoy your visit to Cafe Orleans! If you have a big enough appetite, get some Pommes Frites alongside the Monte Cristo! Delicious!

Yes....pommes frites!!! Cup of gumbo! Perfection!!

Cafe Orleans is my family's favorite place to eat in DL. We always order pomme frites and the monte cristo to share and we each get a cup of gumbo. Then of course my DD15 and I can't get enough of the mint juleps while we are there too....Mmmmm :love:.

OP I would definitely make a reservation, each time we have been there I have seen CMs turn walk ups away, however we have only ever gone in June so that may be why too.

So though I have been to Disneyland many times, we never seem to do food "right". Meaning we always find ourselves walking around going "I don't know...where do you want to eat" and end up with a turkey drum stick while sitting on a bench type of thing...

We make at least one reservation per day of our trip (whether it be for breakfast, lunch, or dinner) to avoid exactly this! Having at least one known meal plan per day really helps planning food for the rest of the day easier, at least in my experience. ;)

Enjoy your Café Orleans! I had gumbo and pomme frites there my last trip and it was delicious. Have enjoyed the Monte Cristo in the past as well.

Pomme Frits, bowl of Gumbo and Beignets. When we went a few weeks ago they still had the butterscotch beignets and they were incredible. But honestly which ever flavor they have they will be incredible. Be sure to sit outside. The inside seating is kind of dark and depressing. And even though you have reservations, you will likely still have to wait about 10 minutes so be prepared just incase you are on a tight timeline with your fast passes.

I have to make at least one reservation every day or I forget to eat. I'm so easily distracted by all the bright, shiny objects that the fact we are heading to get a meal totally flies out of my head. :-)

My mom and I split the MC and Pommes Frites last trip and it was pretty good. I loved the pommes.... so yummy!

This reminds me that I should make a reservation for my upcoming trip!

I'm another one who usually has one red a day. Cafe Orleans is one place we still haven't made in 3 visits - will make it first place next trip!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter