Cafe Orleans

luulu1999

DIS Veteran
We have a reservation here next week and I am seriously considering cancelling, I would like to try the Monte Cristo but the price and the fact that I am not sure my 5&6 yr old would enjoy it here is making me reconsider....any feedback?

Well, when I was there I really enjoyed it! I consider Cafe Orleans to be the best teme park table service restaurant I have been to (excepting now Be Our Guest). I had the monte cristo and it was quite good, cheaper then Blue Bayou too.

I imagine your kids would like the food there too. They have excellent fries (like, for real, best fires ever!) and a special juice drink that they'd probably like too. The atmosphere is a little more adult, but service was quick so it shouldn't take too long.

So, I recommend keeping the ADR. I know I'm going to make one for my upcomming trip as I loved it so much last time.

The Monte Cristo is very big. When DH and I were at DL last week, we split it between the 2 of us. He also added a bowl of gumbo. If you share, the price isn't as high. I thought it was great. The service there was pretty bad when we went, so not sure we will go back, but the food was good.

We love it there. The setting is so relaxing. The sandwich is like a huge dessert with the sauce and breading. A lot of kids would like it if you are considering splitting it with them. I usually get a side salad and gumbo.

We ate there for the first time last week and thought it was great! We much preferred the food over Blue Bayou. My 8 year old liked her meal, and I got the Monte Cristo and she ate 1/4 of that too and loved it. She is a pretty picky eater too.

Love IT!! Eat there every single trip.... For the Pomme Frites and Beignets ........... also love sitting out on the patio, watching New Orleans Square go by. Really is a fave for lunch or dinner. Dinner is just Magical!!

:goodvibes:goodvibes

--Lori

Thanks I was actually thinking of getting it and splitting it with the kids and getting 2 orders of the fries for us to share but I am worried I will get it and they won't eat it!! But I guess we will give it a try!

I think I might be the only person who had a bad experience at Cafe Orleans. So far it has been the one and only meal I have had in 6 visits to DL that I found to be completely inedible. :worried:

I think I might be the only person who had a bad experience at Cafe Orleans. So far it has been the one and only meal I have had in 6 visits to DL that I found to be completely inedible. :worried:

You're not the only one. We have only been once because my experience soured me on ever returning. The person checking us in was extremely rude. Our server was apathetic and barely there. I'm not sure he ever came back to check on us after plopping the food on our table. I do remember having to flag down another server to get our bill. Our fries arrived not quite cold, but not warm either. The rest of the food we ordered was definitely edible but nothing special and overall disappointing. It's been several years now, and I know I should give the place another try because maybe it was just a bad day there, but with so many other choices at the parks that I know I do like or still want to try, I don't see us going back to Cafe Orleans.

I actually just talked to DBF about it because he doesn't like to try new foods and is some what of a picky eater and he doesn't want to eat there because there is really nothing there he is interested in trying....so I guess we will be cancelling and finding another place for dinner that night :confused3

I took my daughter there when she was 5. She loved it. They have those little clip-on character lights you can get for the kids' drinks; I think she got Tinkerbelle but they also have Captain Hook. Costs extra.

As others have said, even if you don't do the Monte Cristo, the fries are great. For us it's more of an atmosphere thing than anything else. So nice to sit and watch the Rivers of America area. If he really doesn't want to go there for a meal, maybe you could stop by during a time it's not busy (like after 2pm) and just order some fries (send them back if they're not hot), people watch and listen to some music.

Or maybe you could compromise and you choose one restaurant and he chooses one restaurant.

If you're determined not to eat at Cafe Orleans, you could try the French Market or Bengal Barbecue, both of which are close by. We also like the Rancho del Zocalo in Frontierland, but keep in mind, their portions are huge.

Cafe Orleans is our absolute favorite place to eat in the whole resort and we have to eat there once every time we go! My niece and I love the three cheese monte cristo! We share that as well as the pomme frites! It's plenty for two or three if you have littles!!!

We love the Cafe' Orleans. We've been there twice and it was great both times. My DDs both got the salmon off the kids menu and they loved it. They were 4 and 6 at the time. We shared the fries and the rest of us got the Monte Cristo. It is seriously too much food for the average person. My husband can finish his but he's a big guy (6'4" 225lbs.) I ate half. If you think your kids would like they Monte Cristo I would share with them. Our friend who has lots of food allergies spoke with the chef personally and he made her a very yummy dish with veggies and chicken and this great sauce. We also ate outside. The inside is super small. We very much enjoy Cafe' Orleans. :)

Thanks I was actually thinking of getting it and splitting it with the kids and getting 2 orders of the fries for us to share but I am worried I will get it and they won't eat it!! But I guess we will give it a try!

Order one basket, see if they like them, if yes then order another.

I noticed on allears there's a menu from last year that shows there's a "cheesy macaroni" on the kid's menu. This wouldn't be a hit with your kids?

Our meal was fine but our service was rotten the last time we went there. And it was ON my birthday. During the birthday celebration year. The service was so bad that DH found a manager to talk about it. He didn't want the server to thikn that he'd been justified in such bad service, when he saw the very very low tip...so made sure the manager understood exactly what the problems had been.

The food, however, was fine. For us.

I actually just talked to DBF about it because he doesn't like to try new foods and is some what of a picky eater and he doesn't want to eat there because there is really nothing there he is interested in trying....so I guess we will be cancelling and finding another place for dinner that night :confused3

You are, actually, allowed to eat where you want to eat. At Disneyland it's super-easy to grab food as you go. Our son doesn't like anything at Hungry Bear. So we go to French Market where he gets whatever he gets, he eats, then we go to Hungry Bear. Takes a little extra time (though one time we brought food from one place to the other with the blessing of the CMs) but everyone ends up happy.

Feed the family where they want to eat, then go to CO and they can have beignets while you have your monte cristo.

Our meal was fine but our service was rotten the last time we went there. And it was ON my birthday. During the birthday celebration year. The service was so bad that DH found a manager to talk about it. He didn't want the server to thikn that he'd been justified in such bad service, when he saw the very very low tip...so made sure the manager understood exactly what the problems had been.

The food, however, was fine. For us.

I had the total opposite experience, oddly enough. The service was absolutely fine but my crepe was revolting. :(

Sorry your birthday meal was so bad!

We have eaten there about 20 times over the past few years. We always get the pomme frites and gumbo. The service is usually good but we have had a few issues with the service a time or two but nothing major. The food has always been fantastic. Their bananas foster crepes, pomme frites, gumbo, beignets, and monte cristo are all fantastic. Outdoor seating is great and relaxing. Its our favorite place to eat at Disneyland.

I'd heard good things so we went three weeks ago when we were in the parks (we had an ADR for 5.30pm). It was decidedly average in our opinion and not up to the rave reviews. We split a Monte Cristo between two adults and ordered a green salad. It was plenty. Quantity was good but the quality was pretty lacklustre. Maybe I'd been expecting too much after so many years of reading rave reviews.

The service was fast and attentive.

My son (6yrs) hated the macaroni - and he's usually a macaroni fan. He didn't like the texture, colour or flavour of the sauce. I ate some and it was ok, but nothing special.

It wasn't a highlight meal for us unfortunately. If we were doing it over, I would go elsewhere I think.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter