Cabins or CBR w/5th sleeper?

Megara5115

DIS Veteran
Hello! We are planning a trip for April 2022 after not visiting since 2018! I am of course excited but also a bit overwhelmed by the changes that have happened in that time. I am thinking I should narrow down where we are staying first and take it from there.

It will be me, husband and a 16 and 6 year old. We will have a car. The Cabins are currently about $1000 more than CBR would be. We have driven on the bus through Fort Wilderness to get to Trails End and stayed one night at CBR a while back before the refurb so we have a basic idea but not really enough to compare. We will be there for six days and then 16 year old is flying back to stay with grandparents the following week (he isn’t as Disney crazy as the rest of us and also doesn’t want to miss much school so he is good with that amount of time). The following week me, husband and 6 year old are going to stay half at a value and then end the trip with three nights at GF for our anniversary. We have done triple split stays before and actually prefer moving around although I know it probably sounds crazy to some haha. Thanks for any input!

Hello! We are planning a trip for April 2022 after not visiting since 2018! I am of course excited but also a bit overwhelmed by the changes that have happened in that time. I am thinking I should narrow down where we are staying first and take it from there.

It will be me, husband and a 16 and 6 year old. We will have a car. The Cabins are currently about $1000 more than CBR would be. We have driven on the bus through Fort Wilderness to get to Trails End and stayed one night at CBR a while back before the refurb so we have a basic idea but not really enough to compare. We will be there for six days and then 16 year old is flying back to stay with grandparents the following week (he isn’t as Disney crazy as the rest of us and also doesn’t want to miss much school so he is good with that amount of time). The following week me, husband and 6 year old are going to stay half at a value and then end the trip with three nights at GF for our anniversary. We have done triple split stays before and actually prefer moving around although I know it probably sounds crazy to some haha. Thanks for any input!
Are you guys nature loving outdoorsy types? We're not, so we'd for sure choose CBR (we actually just got back a cpl weeks ago.) I also feel like transportation will be a lot nicer at cbr and having access to the boardwalk area is nice. At Ft Wilderness would you rent a golf cart - it seems to almost be necessary. - It'd probably be nicer tobhave the extra space at the cabins but I'm not sure $1000 more would be worth it.

Last edited:
We’ve stayed at both resorts.

We were at FW for almost a week and had a great time. We did not rent a golf cart, but we did have a vehicle. We went to the Chip and Dale campfire singalong, Trails End for supper, and Hoop De Doo. I think it would be worth it, if you plan to do any of these (assuming they are all back on by then). Or if you are planning some no park days, where you can take advantage of the nature/horse activities that are available. It’s a terrific place to relax and enjoy the outdoors!

But if you plan to be going to the parks every day, I’d stick with CBR. You could save money and use the Skyliner to get to HS or Epcot. We only stayed at CBR for one night. Since it was such a short stay, I can’t really say that much about it. But we were very close to the Rivera station, and LOVED using the Skyliner!

Last edited:
Are you guys nature loving outdoorsy types? We're not, so we'd for sure choose CBR (we actually just got back a cpl weeks ago.) I also feel like transportation will be a lot nicer at cbr and having access to the boardwalk area is nice. At Ft Wilderness would you rent a golf cart - it seems to almost be necessary. - It'd probably be nicer tobhave the extra space at the cabins but I'm not sure $1000 more would be worth it.

Thank you! We are not really outdoorsy people it would be more for the extra space and stand alone room situation. Is it easy to get to the Boardwalk from CBR? Agree I am on the fence about whether it would be worth $1000 and I hadn’t really even considered renting a cart every day!

We’ve stayed at both resorts.

We were at FW for almost a week and had a great time. We did not rent a golf cart, but we did have a vehicle. We went to the Chip and Dale campfire singalong, Trails End for supper, and Hoop De Doo. I think it would be worth it, if you plan to do any of these (assuming they are all back on by then). Or if you are planning some no park days, where you can take advantage of the nature/horse activities that are available. It’s a terrific place to relax and enjoy the outdoors!

But if you plan to be going to the parks every day, I’d stick with CBR. You could save money and use the Skyliner to get to HS or Epcot. We only stayed at CBR for one night. Since it was such a short stay, I can’t really say that much about it. But we were very close to the Riveria station, and LOVED using the Skyliner!

Thank you! We will probably be at a park for at least some of each day we are there. Maybe time to hash out a really rough schedule about what parks what day and see where I’m at and if my older son wants to do a relaxing resort type day while he’s there. Thanks for the feedback!

CBR is great so I would save the money. The Skyliner is amazing when working right and having access to all those Skyliner stops is a great bonus.
plus the CBR pool is fantastic

Thank you! We are not really outdoorsy people it would be more for the extra space and stand alone room situation. Is it easy to get to the Boardwalk from CBR? Agree I am on the fence about whether it would be worth $1000 and I hadn’t really even considered renting a cart every day!
Yes, you just hop on the skyliner to Epcot and whwn you get off, take a right. We ended up going over there a few nights just to eat/explore.

I think they’re both good choices, but what stood out to me about your situation was that you have a six-year-old and a 16-year-old. The really nice thing about the cabins is that the bedding in the living room makes you feel like you have your own space. And that might be nicer for your teenager. Plus it does give you a full kitchen. Even if you’re not planning to cook it’s nice to have the kitchen there as an option.

I think they’re both good choices, but what stood out to me about your situation was that you have a six-year-old and a 16-year-old. The really nice thing about the cabins is that the bedding in the living room makes you feel like you have your own space. And that might be nicer for your teenager. Plus it does give you a full kitchen. Even if you’re not planning to cook it’s nice to have the kitchen there as an option.
Thank you! I agree that the semi private spaces would definitely be good.

For us, the transportation would be the deciding factor. My (Not huge disney fans) older boys at 16 would want to be able to get back to the resort to relax and then head back out for the evening. The remoteness of the cabins would make that harder/more time consuming for them.
That said, space is an important consideration and separate spaces are a big plus. I would be hoping for a discount on an AoA suite.

For us, the transportation would be the deciding factor. My (Not huge disney fans) older boys at 16 would want to be able to get back to the resort to relax and then head back out for the evening. The remoteness of the cabins would make that harder/more time consuming for them.
That said, space is an important consideration and separate spaces are a big plus. I would be hoping for a discount on an AoA suite.

An AOA suite is a great idea too, we visited AOA last trip and I agree that would be a good option. Maybe I will keep an eye out for discounts because that would probably be my first choice if discounted. Thanks!

We just got back and didn’t have the best experience at CBR. The rooms were dated and dirty and in desperate need of a overhaul. I’m not sure I’d stay there again until they completely redo the rooms. The sky liner is a huge perk but I would choose FW for the extra space and storage if it were me.

We just got back and didn’t have the best experience at CBR. The rooms were dated and dirty and in desperate need of a overhaul. I’m not sure I’d stay there again until they completely redo the rooms. The sky liner is a huge perk but I would choose FW for the extra space and storage if it were me.
Oh that is too bad to hear but good to know. Thanks for the feedback!

I’d pick FW over CB any day. Extra room, just a boat ride away from MK and the monorail resorts, so many resort activities, kitchen, private bedroom, peaceful atmosphere after hectic park days. Up to you If all that’s worth $1000. Only downside IMO is the pool is better at CBR. Both resorts are sprawling and require in resort buses.

We stayed at CBR for the second time back in October and loved it. The cabin would give you more space, but for $1000 and the Skyliner, CBR would definitely be my choice. Being able to utilize the Skyliner avoiding bus service to two of the four parks is a great benefit, with the severely limited capacity of the buses. We also would prefer the light, airy, beachy theme at CBR over the woodsy/outdoorsy theme at FW - and I say that as someone who has a seasonal campsite at home. The beachy theme feels more vacation-y to us, since we don't have beaches and palm trees where we live.

They are both great choices for different reasons, the cabins are very secluded and private with a very old world homey feel. You can see some wildlife, You can take a guided horseback ride and enjoy walking in the lush woods. Trails end is a great restaurant there as well as P &J’s southern take out and if the hoopty doo review is back I strongly recommend it. But getting around is much more of a challenge.
Caribbean beach is also beautiful resort
With a great theme, great pool and the transportation is great as well. Buses and the new skyliner! They have a skyliner access point in two locations One in Caribbean beach. And another thats right next to the riviera resort so there are multiple restaurants to enjoy there as well as a skyliner stop. We were closer to the Riviera so we always took the shorter walk to that skyliner. It is a great way to go to Disney studios or to Epcot. When we made our reservations for this year we decided as a group, my daughters, their husbands and children, to definitely stay near the skyliner because everyone enjoyed it so much. We’ve been going to Disney every year for 35 years trying to stay in every hotel and now we have to figure the skyliner into the equation. It’s a greatride in itself. We actually went to the boardwalk numerous times to eat because we ride the skyliner!

CBR would be my choice. If you want to spend extra, I would stay at CBR until the GF reservation.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter